Profile for AndyS > Reviews

Content by AndyS

AndyS

Nine Lives (Sam Archer  Book 1)
Nine Lives (Sam Archer Book 1)
Price: 0.00

3.0 out of 5 stars 4 stars for the story, 2 stars for the execution., 21 May 2014
This is a strange book. The storyline is very good but the execution is very poor. It's a story that includes a lot of real-world locations but the detail in a lot of cases is so far wide of the mark, it's silly. At first, I thought it was an American author trying to write about London having never been there and doing it poorly. I was then surprised to read he is British. It's little things like using the term 'car park' in one paragraph and then 'parking lot' in the next. Also saying the crowd at the Emirates for Arsenal - Spurs would be a 50-50 split. He seems to want to make the book as realistic as possible but makes many mistakes in doing so.

There are so many other little annoyances that made me glad to finish the book and never read another one of his.

The Passage (The Passage Trilogy Book 1)
The Passage (The Passage Trilogy Book 1)
Price: 5.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Parts good, others awful, 13 Jan 2014
Unfortunately this was one of those books that you finish purely because you've already put the effort in to read it so far. Many times did I want to put it to one side and to be honest, I wish I had. I'm sure this will appeal to some, but for me, it was like eating chocolate with the wrapper still on.

The Last Block In Harlem
The Last Block In Harlem
Price: 3.49

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good and certainly makes you think, 4 Oct 2011
Not my usual kind of book but really enjoyed this. It certainly makes you think about the consequences of your actions! A very good first novel and one that i would recommend.

Toddy - The Colin Todd Story
Toddy - The Colin Todd Story
Price: 5.14

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing read., 21 July 2011
I had initial looked forward to reading about Colin Todd's career and being a Bolton Wanderers fan, was especially interested in that part of the book. All I can say is this is a very short and disappointing read. I cannot comment too much on his history at the other clubs, but the BWFC section is littered with mistakes and in my opinion some glaring omissions. Mistakes such as spelling players names wrong (John McGinley instead of John McGinlay, Mark Lee instead of David Lee, Michael Johnson (I know we lacked pace, but we didn't sign him!) instead of Michael Johansen. I was also very surprised to read that Colin's only mention of our joint post war record goal scorer in a season (Andy Walker) was only mentioned in that he had left the club!

If you want to know the real basics (of which a number are factually incorrect), then this book is for you. If you want any insight into Colin or a bit more information on his career, don't bother.

Aggers' Ashes
Aggers' Ashes
Price: 8.03

4.0 out of 5 stars Book is excellent but where was the proof reading?, 3 May 2011
This review is from: Aggers' Ashes (Kindle Edition)
The book itself is excellent. Jonathan's diary style writing is good and his use of articles by different journalists and co-commentators is a plus point.

The negative? I have had a Kindle for 5 months and this is by far the worst in terms of typos and errors. Lack of full stops, characters substituted by code, sentences which have spaces missing, I could go on and on. I don't know if this falls down to Amazon or the publisher, but it really is poor that the proof-reading of ebooks is obviously not of the same quality as that for print books. Whoever is at fault, raise your game!