Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Urban Hymns
Urban Hymns
Offered by DVD Overstocks

5.0 out of 5 stars Its up there with the best., 13 Mar. 2006
This review is from: Urban Hymns (Audio CD)
This is one of my favourite albums of all time. Not because its full of chart fillers, in fact its surprisingly lacking in that category compared to some albums produced by the likes of Oasis. Brit pop was a great time and I was privilidged to grow up during it. I look back on that era and this is the album that makes me remember what it was all about. Big tunes like Sonnet and Bitter sweet Symphony, softer classics like The Drugs Don't Work and Lucky Man and the cocky swagger of Rolling People and Come On. There honestly is'nt a weak song on the album, it may be long which I think is great because you get your money's worth! Have you ever thought of the greatest ending to an album, well the answer is Come On. Pure aggression, pure confidence and dam right arrogance just about sums up brit pop really.

War
War
Offered by best_value_entertainment

4.0 out of 5 stars Where did this come from?, 28 Oct. 2005
This review is from: War (Audio CD)
I am a young U2 fanatic and one of the things I love the most is going back to the oldies! Everyone of them I have listened to and got addicted to. WAR was strangely the last of the 80s classics that I got into but for me it is the best! I was amazed that I had listened to U2 for so long but i had never listened to the 'smaller songs' on this album. 'Sunday Bloody, Sunday' and 'New Year's Day' are undoubted U2 classics but it is the other songs that capture this album. 'Seconds', 'Two hearts beat as one' and '40' are superb songs but the one that shocked me was 'Drowning Man'. It is beautiful and it is a mystery why this is not a U2 classic, I think it is up there with 'One' and 'With or Without You'. The best thing about U2 is finding these gems of songs that you would'nt usually listen to. WAR is full of these songs and you would be a fool not to try it out!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 27, 2014 8:57 PM BST

Hopes and Fears
Hopes and Fears
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

3.0 out of 5 stars Over rated and ridiculously samey!, 7 July 2005
This review is from: Hopes and Fears (Audio CD)
I heard the first single 'Somewhere Only We know' and thought it was a good little tune so I bought the album. Listening to the album was almost like listening to the single except it was about half an hour longer. This album is ridiculously samey and it baffles me how it was the biggest selling album of 2004. Don't get me wrong its got some okay tunes and its nice enough. The thing that gets me is how so many people can give an average okay album such huge hype. There are so many new bands out there that are clearly superior such as Franz Ferdinand, The Killers and Snow Patrol (admittedly not their first album, but their break through), naming just a few. If you want to introduce yourslelf to a brilliant debut album of 2004 try these first before the unbelievably over rated Keane.

How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb
How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

4.0 out of 5 stars A great album undone by the greatest band, 28 May 2005
There is clearly a huge amount of mixed feelings about this album and this is no great surprise to me. U2 are undoubtedly the biggest band in the world at the moment and with so many people anticipating a huge album it is inevitable that many will be left disappointed. Me, well I'm a massive U2 fan and my opinion is probably very biased but I'll tell you it anyway. This album is fantastic, yeah not as good as some of their old stuff, but its still a top album and the best album that's come out for a while. If you compare this to other albums that are in the shops just now you will find few that rival it. U2 are musical geniuses and this is a great album done by the best. You can critisize this album for not being as good as U2's best but you can't criticize it for being a bad album.

Boy
Boy
Offered by inandout-distribution

4.0 out of 5 stars A sheer burst of energy!, 21 April 2005
This review is from: Boy (Audio CD)
This album from start to finish flows with such great energy and joy that you feel that you are a 'boy' again. It is U2 at their most innocent and fragile time and there is just four young energetic guys giving it all they've got. U2 may have made some better stuff since but they will never be able to make something so original and beautiful as BOY. The two main songs I feel being 'I Will Follow' and 'Out of Control' which are U2 through and through. Edge's guitar is majestic and Bono's voice quite frankly the most pure voice I have ever heard in rock and roll. Larry and Adam are also superb and their massive talent is clearly evident from their first album. I don't feel there is any songs that really stand out, the album just flows from song to song in this fantastic up beat nature that brings out the BOY in you. Fantastic!