Profile for Media Man > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Safetool Cutting Ruler Non-Slip Bar 100 cm Anodised Aluminium
Safetool Cutting Ruler Non-Slip Bar 100 cm Anodised Aluminium

1.0 out of 5 stars Disapointing, 17 May 2015
This is a nice long, lightweight ruler with a grip to keep it in place while making your marks.

I wouldn't use this as a cutting ruler because it appears to be made of aluminium and if you use a Stanley type knife or craft knife you will gradually trim part of the ruler away so will over time no longer provide a straight edge.

I ordered 2 of these and both had a fault. The 1st was slightly out of shape and would not lie totally flat, but was fine when I applied pressure so I kept this one. But the 2nd was considerably bent in the middle and had to be returned.

This is an expensive ruler and from my experience it would seem that the likelihood of receiving one in perfect condition is quite remote. I would recommend you look at some of the decorators rulers as they are much better quality at about half the price.

walimex FT-8051 260cm Light Stand
walimex FT-8051 260cm Light Stand

5.0 out of 5 stars These are extremely good stands for their price, 14 May 2015
These are extremely good stands for their price.

They come in a canvas carry bag which is very hand and in itself would probably cost £5 - £10 to buy separately so this is a thoughtful inclusion.

The stands have screw type locks on the adjustable sections which will last better over time than just the locking clips found on the cheaper stands and they work well keeping the shafts very secure and in place.

The stands are a weight that will give you confidence that they will stay in place whilst not being too heavy to transport and set up.

I have used stands that cost a lot more than this and have been considerably heavier but I can honestly say they were no better or worse than these stands with regards to performance.

So I highly recommend these stands to anyone who wants a quality stand without having to pay too much.

Check the specification of the stands before buying to ensure that they will support the weight of the items you intend to use on it because if you are using very old lights they may be too heavy. Probably an ideal time to upgrade to LED lighting for any old light users anyway.

Great River Journeys Of The World
Great River Journeys Of The World
Dvd ~ Alain Dayan

1.0 out of 5 stars Like the other reviewer said this should be the 4 ..., 21 April 2015
Like the other reviewer said this should be the 4 DVD set as the photo and description states, but unfortunately only 1 DVD is received. I tried from 2 different sellers and the same single DVD arrived each time. The DVD received was for the rivers The Yang Tse, The Mekong & The Nile.

Kingston Technology KC300 SSDNow Solid State Drive - SKC300S37A/240G
Kingston Technology KC300 SSDNow Solid State Drive - SKC300S37A/240G

5.0 out of 5 stars I have this drive as my operating system (Windows 7 ..., 24 July 2014
I have this drive as my operating system (Windows 7 Pro 64bit) boot drive and it is truly superb. I have had many other SSDs by Crucial, Samsung,Transcend and other Kingston models. But this model works amazingly fast in my i5 desktop setup.

Seriously it boots my PC up from power on in 15 seconds. Data transfers are fast.

I honestly cannot fault this drive in any way. It has Kingston's solid build quality.

It may be a little more expensive than other models that are similar, but for me the performace increase is totally worth it.

ThruNite® MCC-4 Universal Charger for Charging 22650 18650 17670 18490 17500 17335 16340(RCR123) 14500 10440 & AA, AAA, C Batteries(MCC-4 Round plug)
Offered by ThruNite® Direct

1.0 out of 5 stars Seemed excellent, but after short use possibly dangerous., 21 Jun. 2014
I purchased one of these because it recharges most of the cell types I use and also from what I had seen in reviews and on Youtube that it could charge batteries very quickly with a proper full charge, not like most of the big name smart chargers that although charge quickly only put a limited charge into the cells.

From initial testing it did prove to be excellent and fast. The problem came when trying to charge 4 Duracell AA NiMh batteries. 2 charged fine indicating that 1.5v was put into the cells, but the other 2 indicated that 2.2v had been put into the cells and because of this those 2 cells had burst and the chemicals has leaked out. This isn't too must of a problem, other than wasting 2 new Duracell batteries, as the chemicals in NiMh batteries are not particularly dangerous if a leak occurs. But had this happened to Lithium batteries this could have been quite serious as when they burst the chemical gas leaks out and they can quite easily explode. That is why lots of postal services wont even transport Lithium batteries anymore.

So I would say if you have one of these and charge Lithium batteries keep a very close eye on the charger and if the display shows even 0.1v over the expected maximum for the battery type take the battery out of the charger quickly. I certainly would not risk putting some batteries in to charge overnight or while I was out.

So a good charger at a good price, but I would not use it again as it would appear to be rather dangerous. I had ro send mine back to Amazon because of this problem.

Stanley 197518 FatMax Deep Pro Organiser
Stanley 197518 FatMax Deep Pro Organiser

3.0 out of 5 stars Make sure you find someone selling the old stock model as it is much better than the latest model., 5 Jun. 2014
First thing why the lowest star rating so far on this item. Well there are two versions of this organiser. The old one which is as the info on this site states has the waterproof seal and the metal latches and the latest model which does not have the waterproof seal and only has plastic latches.

If you can find the older version I give it 5 stars without a seconds hesitation at around £15, it is well made and very robust and you will not find anything else at this quality for the price..

If you can only find the newer version treat it a bit more careful and don't take it outside with you in the rain, the water does get in.

So my advice check first with the seller which version it is they are selling before buying.

Sony Cyber-shot HX300
Sony Cyber-shot HX300

2.0 out of 5 stars Not up to Sony's usual standard, 16 May 2014
I was very disappointed with this camera. But given that most users seem to be very happy with this camera I can only imagine that the one I had was faulty in some way.

On the camera I had it proved extremely difficult to get a clear, sharp photo, irrespective of whether the target was near or far, even when using the intelligent auto modes. Also I found that the auto focus while zooming was rather slow.

I have a Sony HX50 which is the compact version of the Sony HX200 (the model down from this one) and in comparisons with the HX300 I personally found the HX50 to be considerably better in every area.

The HX300 though is built very well and feels a quality made camera, but it just didn't produce acceptable results for me.

Sony HDRAS15 Sports Action Camcorder with Full HD and Wi-Fi - Black
Sony HDRAS15 Sports Action Camcorder with Full HD and Wi-Fi - Black

3.0 out of 5 stars A disappointing effort from SONY, especially at the price., 27 Mar. 2014
This review is based solely on my experience and opinions of the AS15 Action Camcorder.

I am a huge fan of SONY products and have had many of them over the years so I do not feel I am being unfairly biased in my review. There are certain products I would seek from SONY and others I wouldn't. I have had several SONY full size camcorders and have been disappointed with them all, so would never buy another SONY full size camcorder but strangely have always been delighted with the camcorder function built into SONY's digital cameras like the DSC-HX9, HX20 and HX50.

So I thought I would try SONY's action cam as I suppose it falls between a full camcorder and a digital camera. I have noted what I consider its pros and cons are below:

PROS

Can record at 1080p at 60fps
Image stabilization (I think this is the only action cam that has this) and it works great.
Can record at 720p at 120fps
High quality SONY battery that lasted me for 2.5 hours recording and easy to take out and swap just like you would in a camera.
LCD display on the side to give text advice as to what the settings are.
Sound recording is the best you will get from any action cam and it is stereo as well.

CONS

The case is really smooth so this is very eager to slip out of your hand, especially as chances are you will be wearing gloves when using this (Biking, skiing)
The 1080p recording is not very sharp at all, to be truthful it really looks more in keeping with 720p.
the lens protrudes from the case slightly so it will get easily scratched or smashed if dropped.
The battery cover just slides into place, it doesn't click shut tightly.
The bottom of the case is rounded, so you always have to use some kind of case if you want to put it on say a wall to record something, or else it just falls over.
The image is very rounded at the edges, making it look a bit like the fish eye effect even when in 120 degrees.

I will find a use for this SONY action cam, but it will only be in situations where steadyshot is essential, like on the rally car.

I have tried most of the action cams around, even the expensive ones like the Go Pro Black, but have been disappoint by most of them especially given some of the prices. The one I always seem to go back to is a cheap little action cam purchased from China called a MOBIUS ACTION CAM. It was only about £40 and is about the size of a small matchbox. It is very simple in its operational controls, but the settings that can be altered when connected to the PC are the best available, plus it is very well supported by the hobbyist groups so gets very regular firmware updates to keep it running at its best. Check our the MOBIUS on Youtube as I think it has probably the best 1080p detail and colour reproduction of any of the action cams.

So would I buy the SONY AS15 again - NO
Would I recommend the SONY AS15 - Only if steadyshot is essential as SONY are the Kings of image stabilization tech.

But there are much better and cheaper solutions out there if you just want a simple, high quality recording action cam.

Big Bargain E27 5500K 135W Photo Video Photography Daylight Lighting Studio Lamp Bulb

3.0 out of 5 stars Not quite as bright as some the UK made photography bulbs., 22 Feb. 2014
These bulbs are 135W fluorescent which equates to an equivalent of between 600W - 700W in real light terms. So you would expect these to be super bright. They are quite bright, and very importantly the colour temperature of 5500K is perfect, but I found I needed to run 4 single lights with these bulbs in to give me the all round, non shadow lighting for photography and video work that I needed.

I quite often use worksite lights that use Halogen bulbs and these provide alot more light, but the bulbs are very fragile, they get extremely hot and use a lot of power, but they dont give the natuaral white light that the fluorescent bulbs do.

I have also recently been using some battery powered torches purchased from China to provide lighting. They are lightweight, run for hours on a set of rechargeable batteries, no cables to trip over, no worries when you are working where there is no power, dont break if the light stands get knocked over, provide an equivalent amount of light to the fluorescent bulbs and the torches only cost me about £4 each. They use the CREE LED bulbs and the most powerful ones give off an increadible amount of light. I will be investing in more of the torches because they are so much more cost effective and safer. Because as the other reviewer of these bulbs said if you knock over a light stand and smash one of these bulbs, the little pieces of class go everywhere.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 1, 2014 3:21 PM GMT

Professor Kobre's Lightscoop, Standard Version Bounce Flash Device, Universal Model, fits over the Pop-up Flash of most SLR Cameras
Offered by Smart Shop UK

4.0 out of 5 stars Works in light coloured rooms, 8 Feb. 2014
This is a very useful item for directing the light from the flash on your camera upwards rather than forwards.

It works very well if your room has a white/cream coloured ceiling as it relies on the flashback to fill the room with light.

I would honestly say that it does make a considerable difference to the photos I took.

A cheap option until you can afford a proper flash unit.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4