Profile for mrs_s > Reviews

Doc McStuffins: Friendship is the Best Medicine [DVD]
Doc McStuffins: Friendship is the Best Medicine [DVD]
Price: 4.75

5.0 out of 5 stars Practically lives in our dvd player., 13 Dec 2013
My two year old loves Doc McStuffins and as we only have freeview, I got her the dvd so she could watch it at home. It's a really sweet tv show that you can leave her to watch whilst making tea. She also sings the songs everywhere, pretending to be a doctor and then announcing "I have a diagnosis" to anyone who'll listen. I've actually been quite impressed as it's actually a fairly intelligent show for really young girls, without being patronising and isn't annoying at all for the parents. Without anything 'princessy' my almost-five year old son will even watch the dvd with his sister. Doc McStuffins has also inspired a lot of imaginative play in our house, which can be no bad thing!

Oxford First Atlas Hardback 2011
Oxford First Atlas Hardback 2011
by Dr Patrick Wiegand
Price: 6.99

5.0 out of 5 stars My son absolutely loves this!, 14 Jun 2013
We bought this for my almost four year old. Grandpa was abroad on a business trip and we've never been able to go abroad, so we needed a way of explaining where Grandpa was phoning from. This is perfect. My son is able to read UK cities and look at world maps. We've also been able to teach him how to use an index and coordinates because everything is pitched just simply enough for about Reception/Year 1. This will last too, with the extra information he currently bypasses, such as the maps with terrain, weather etc. The atlas doesn't come accross that well on the website, but it's great.

Tomy Aquadoodle Magic Water Pens Twin Pack - Blue
Tomy Aquadoodle Magic Water Pens Twin Pack - Blue
Offered by K Direct
Price: 2.58

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as expected, 6 May 2013
= Durability:3.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:3.0 out of 5 stars
Bought this for my almost four year old; he is very analytical and we wanted to encourage creativity without pushing him too far out of his comfort zone. He likes the idea and can use it by himself, although the pen included is a little weird. I was a little disappointed that only one wheel was included, which means there are actually limited options for him to be creative. When he does get it out, he lasts 5-10 minutes before it goes away again, as boredom sets in fairly quickly. That said, it does appear to be quite durable, so will last.

Crayola Dry-Erase Activity Center-Zany Play
Crayola Dry-Erase Activity Center-Zany Play
Offered by supermart USA
Price: 13.80

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as expected, 9 Oct 2012
The idea of this is excellent, however.... 1) Crayons are included, not pens as were shown in the picture when I ordered, which causes problems trying to sharpen etc 2) It doesn't erase very easily at all, so my son can only play independently for so long before he needs help scrubbing the crayon off with eraser or washing it of with a damp cloth 3) The eraser is quite difficult to get in and out, which also hinders independent play.

Melissa & Doug Latches Board
Melissa & Doug Latches Board
Price: 13.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant toy - just not sure about the age rating, 24 Oct 2011
This review is from: Melissa & Doug Latches Board (Toy)
I ordered this for my two year old, as he has become bored by supposedly age-appropriate toys. It is really well made and durable, well designed and he really likes messing about with it. My only issue is that I thought it would take him a while to figure out and he had all the latches open and closed in twenty minutes. Don't get me wrong, he still plays with it and his dexterity has improved a lot in terms of how skilful he is at operating all the latches, but I would query whether a three year old would be kept occupied for a particularly long time.

Babymoov Changing Bag (Red/Black)
Babymoov Changing Bag (Red/Black)

1.0 out of 5 stars Sent it straight back, 23 April 2011
Expecting my second child in a couple of months, I was looking for a bag suitable for two children, which would also allow me to be organised as you need lots of internal pockets. We ordered this as it appeared to fit the bill. Unfortunately it is not as well designed as it looks on the internet. The size isn't necessarily an issue (after all, a bag for two children in nappies is going to be substantial) however the shape is awkward and uncomfortable to carry - much more triangular than it looks in photos. Also, the changing mat at the front is inconvenient to remove quickly and easily due to the style of clips used; it also flaps about as it is only attached at the top. The supposed 'one-hand' access design isn't accessible with one hand, as well as the fact that there are gaps at each end that do not make the bag secure; I live in a busy city and there is nowhere I would happily leave my phone or wallet. The material feels cheap, which wouldn't be a problem necessarily, after all you are going to hammer a change bag, but the internal design of the pockets doesn't fit to purpose. For example, you don't want your nappies floating around the bag, you want them in the mesh pockets on the wall of the bag; unfortunately these are effectively sewn flat, so they barely hold more than one decent sized nappy. Whilst I really cannot fault Amazon for their service (fast, helpful and efficient) this bag would have been a nightmare to actually use so we sent it back within twenty four hours. I really would not advise anyone to buy this; if you are a first time mum, trust me you need something else.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 24, 2011 11:53 AM BST