Profile for L. D. Campbell > Reviews

Content by L. D. Campbell

L. D. Campbell (Burnley,Lancashire)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Garth Marenghi's Darkplace [DVD] [2004]
Garth Marenghi's Darkplace [DVD] [2004]
Dvd ~ Matt Holness

5.0 out of 5 stars Cult Classic!, 25 April 2012
I finally got round to buying this after years of talking about it,and being greeted by blank looks from the uninitated, who weren't fourtunate enough to see it when it was first broadcast.
This show wonderfully spoofed T.v shows such as Stephen Kings Kingdom Hospital ( I think it was broadcast at the same time,if my memory serves me correctly) as well the cult 70's classics such as the Stone Tapes,Planet of the Apes and anything else they could get their hands on,It also has an early apperance of Julian Barrat & Noel Fielding before we all became familiar with The Mighty Boosh.

Kate Bush - Rolling
Kate Bush - Rolling

5.0 out of 5 stars Bootleg Beauty!, 25 April 2012
This review is from: Kate Bush - Rolling (DVD)
This is a wonderful collection of Kate's early T.v appearances mainly from foreign climbs, which some fans may have seen on youtube, but that still does not detract from the joy of being able to watch them at your leisure!
I am eternally grateful to the person who compiled this for including The Red Shoes Video album,which will bring tears of joy to any of Kates fans who missed it first time round, as well as all of us who now can no longer play our video version.
The picture quality is as crisp as virgin snow & the packaging is excellent.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 6, 2014 7:41 PM BST

Pirate Radio
Pirate Radio

5.0 out of 5 stars Well Worth The Asking Price, 25 April 2012
This review is from: Pirate Radio (Audio CD)
This Boxset is an excellent package for any Pretenders fan,the demos & raritys contained within it are wonderful, and serve as a timely reminder of what a fine vocalist/songwriter Chrissie Hynde truly is.

Worried About The Boy  - Limited Edition DVD & CD
Worried About The Boy - Limited Edition DVD & CD
Dvd ~ Douglas Booth

5.0 out of 5 stars They Don't Make 'em Like This Any More (Popstars I Mean!), 24 April 2012
I thouroughly enjoyed this when it was first broadcast, and being of an age to remember Culture Clubs first t.v apperance, I found it quite strange watching this as kind of a period piece( It doesn't seem like 2 minutes ago Karma Chameleon was the unofficial school song of my high school & my dad used to do his raving nut ever time George appeared!).
All the cast are fab as is the music and it is brilliant that the Dvd comes as a limited edition with Cd,as all us not so old fogies take a stroll down memory lane.
Just one question when are we going to get a drama based on Georges second autobiography?

Kate Bush: An Illustrated Biography
Kate Bush: An Illustrated Biography
by Paul Kerton

5.0 out of 5 stars I Thought This One Had Got away!, 24 April 2012
This is the Second Kate Bush book I ever read, It was when I was an art student in 1985 & I was so impressed, Paul Kertons Book gives critisism where needed whilst acknowledging the genius of Kate Bush(even more impressive when you consider she had only brought out 2 albums at the time of publishing & Never Forever was still to be released).
This book has one of the best Kate pictures ever on it's cover, the other one being The Secret History Of Kate Bush,It is lavishly illustrated with equally good photos and is an absolute must for any Kate fans.
Buy it, treasure it & look at it on a regular basis.

I Was A Teenage Toyah Fan
I Was A Teenage Toyah Fan

5.0 out of 5 stars I Too Was A Teenage Toyah Fan!!!, 24 April 2012
This book is utterly Unputdown able, I read it 1 go, I'd been looking foreward to this books publication, since Chris Limbs extracts were published on the now sadly defunct Dreamscape website, Where I also picked up the cd Single by Chris & Toyah going under the name of Familly Of Noise(after the Adam & the Ants song?), can also strongly recommend picking it up!
Reading this book reminded me of the first time I saw Toyah on t.v, as well as my first Toyah gig, also found it intresting Chris was also a Gutterheart, so was I!
Love it!, also recommend picking up a copy of Mick Mercers photo book of Toyah(with photos from the early 80's as a companion piece to this,it is avalible through LULU BOOKS for abour £12!)

Sugar Rush
Sugar Rush
Offered by Leisurezone

5.0 out of 5 stars Hurray For The Humans!, 24 April 2012
This review is from: Sugar Rush (Audio CD)
This is the second or should that be the third album By The Humans( If you count This Fragile Moment as a Humans album). It was quite a long wait for it, but patience was well rewarded by this excellent album, By the ever inventive Ms Willcox & co. Stand out tracks for me are Small Town Pychopath and Put A woman On The Moon.
I picked up this Album as a limited edition, with T- shirt via The Ends American website,worth checking out to see if it is still avalible, If like me you are a harcore Toyah fan.

Panic of Girls (Fan Pack)
Panic of Girls (Fan Pack)
Offered by sauliusst

5.0 out of 5 stars The Original Blonde Is Back!, 24 April 2012
After a long wait, the divine Deb & co are back! and rather wonderful it is too. Panic of Girls is a real return to form with the sublime cover version of Girlie,Girlie, the thouroughly memorable Mother( with the superb video featuring Zombie Harry!)also the wonderful Le Bleu sung in Debbie's naive, slightly stilted french, It's quite hard to choose stand out tracks,as for me this is there best album since Eat To The Beat. Buy it and feel the joy!
The Fan Pack is exceptional value with it's 132 page mag, Double poster,4 postcards,6 Badges and 2 bonus tracks. The American deluxe edition Of the album Comes in a slipcase featuring the cover of the magazine, 2 completely diffrent bonus tracks( The End Of The World & Sleeping Giant), along with a Dvd of the Mother Video and Chris Stein photo gallery. This version was also given a limited edition european only release for Record Store Day in 2012, which is where I got mine, the only diffrence between that & the American version is the sticker on the front of the inner cover ( as far as I know!). The Panic Of Girls art work is also wonderful,I find it slightly reminisent of the Never Forever (Kate Bush)Cover with it's strange, other wordly creatures on the cover.

Hammer House Of Horror - Complete Collection [DVD] [1980]
Hammer House Of Horror - Complete Collection [DVD] [1980]
Dvd ~ Peter Cushing

5.0 out of 5 stars Won't Leave It Alone!, 21 Sept. 2011
All the episodes of Hammer House of Horror hold a special place in my heart, Like a lot of people in their early forties Hammer was our first introduction to horror.

My particlular favourite was The Children Of The Full Moon featuring the wonderful,late,great Diana Dors & I can still remember discussing it in the playground with my mates!

Also lets be honest any franchise that Kate Bush has chosen to use as a song title could never bad,now could it?

Autoamerican
Autoamerican

5.0 out of 5 stars Underated!, 16 April 2011
This review is from: Autoamerican (Audio CD)
This is actually a very fine record from Deb & Co, It's not as poppy and commercialised as Parralel Lines, not as proto-punk as Eat To The Beat in fact the whole album has strong undertones of jazz,50's records & of course rap and reggae.

My favourite tracks are Walk like Me, T-Birds, Do The Dark & the sublime Heres looking At You!!

That being said it works better when listened to all the way through, rather than when certain tracks are picked off individually.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4