Profile for L. Jordan > Reviews

L. Jordan

Henry Haynes and the Great Escape
Henry Haynes and the Great Escape

5.0 out of 5 stars More, 29 July 2014
This is a new departure for Karen in that it is a slightly shorter book than her other young fiction titles. However it doesn't disappoint. The story positively zips along with her customary fizz and verve, and the plot is both exciting and funny in equal measures. Karen has created a great lead character in Henry and I would love to see other stories about the same character. The fact is there aren't enough books out there like this. Not all children are up to tackling longer books, yet shorter stories can often be dull and one-dimensional. Not so with Henry Haynes. I would recommend this to any child from around six upwards…especially, dare I say it, to boys who are normally reluctant to pick up a book. My son would have loved it…probably still would, and he's thirty!!

Nespresso Descaling-Set 3035/CBU-2 for Essenza, Lattissima, Cube, Citiz, Pixie
Nespresso Descaling-Set 3035/CBU-2 for Essenza, Lattissima, Cube, Citiz, Pixie
Offered by Next Day Coffee

1.0 out of 5 stars Do Not Use This Product!, 13 Mar 2014
Do not use this product under any circumstances. I have just used it on my Pixie machine which I love. However even after spending a couple of hours running water through the machine, my coffee still tastes disgusting…plus it made no difference to the flow at all. There are dire warnings on the packet about not swallowing the substance - which makes sense as it must be fairly toxic to descale so quickly - so now I wonder what harm I am doing myself. I repeat, do not use this product. It looks like I will need to replace my machine as Nespresso are refusing to accept there is anything wrong with the product. If I could have given it minus stars I would. Disgraceful!!

Ferdinand Fox's Big Sleep
Ferdinand Fox's Big Sleep

5.0 out of 5 stars A Foxy Delight!, 30 May 2013
Another delightful children's book from author Karen Inglis. Karen - who very kindly credits some of her publishing success to my book How To Write For Children And Get Published - is targeting the younger age group this time with a beautifully simple story about a sleeping Fox called Ferdinand. Despite the popularity of rhyming texts with children themselves, they are less popular with UK publishers. So it is lovely to see such a fun story wholly written in rhyme...truly a book for reading aloud again, and again, and again. Look out for the colouring book Ferdinand Fox's Big Sleep Colouring Book which is a fantastic and original addition to the Ferdinand Fox library.

Eeek!
Eeek!

5.0 out of 5 stars More books like this please!, 24 Sep 2012
This review is from: Eeek! (Paperback)
Another great book from Karen Inglis for the 7/8 plus market. Like her previous novel 'The Secret Lake', Karen has kept 'Eeek!' to a manageable length. Too many books for this age group are so long that they tend to put off the less confident reader. It helps, as well, that it is illustrated which makes the text look both fun and manageable. I have had a great response to this book since featuring it on my own website [...]

The Secret Lake
The Secret Lake

5.0 out of 5 stars An Excellent Read for Boys & Girls, 18 Oct 2011
This review is from: The Secret Lake (Paperback)
This is an excellent read for anyone intrigued by secret gardens and time travel. And because of the strong mix of characters it succeeds in being that most unusual of books - a book that can be appreciated by both boys and girls alike. However what I particularly liked about this book is that, unlike many of the lengthy tomes published for 8 - 12 year-olds these days, the page count is extremely manageable with short, gripping chapters that lead you swiftly on through an absorbing tale of mystery and suspense. I run an advice service for children's writers How to Write for Children and Get Published and I would be more than happy if I had been responsible for taking this book to market.

McAfee VirusScan Plus 2007 (PC)
McAfee VirusScan Plus 2007 (PC)

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy Mcafee products!, 30 May 2007
I have just bought McAfee VirusScan Plus 2007 and think it is complete rubbish. I have had Mcafee on my computer for the past year and when my subscription ran out they offered me renewal at a special rate which turned out to be more expensive than buying the product as new! So I bought the product as new - first of all had installation problems which their helpline eventually admitted was their fault (at £1 per minute). Once I got it installed some of the programme was missing - again £1 per minute helpline admitted it was their fault. Then the programme caused error problems on my Outlook Express - again a common problem according to entries on Google. Trying to get a refund is impossible as they have no contact phone numbers, no address, no customer support in case of problems like this. DON'T BUY IT! Plus I would like to see the law changed so that any company offering products for sale online should be compelled to show a contact address plus a contact phone number - and that would be a manned contact address and a manned phone number.