Profile for Movie buff > Reviews

Content by Movie buff

Movie buff "karenstringer2" (Cambridge, UK)

Red Carpets And Other Banana Skins
Red Carpets And Other Banana Skins
by Rupert Everett

5.0 out of 5 stars Unputdownable, 25 July 2007
This is a wonderful book. Rupert Everett has great descriptive power, so this is not a quick read because you don't want to miss any of the lovely phrasing. His description of being sent away to school broke my heart, as did the description of the death of his faithful dog, Mo.

Rupert Everett has been everywhere, seen everything, done everything - many outrageous things, but his innate kindness shines through. Even when he is describing some weird drugged-up creature of the night in Miami for example, he sees something good about that person. He describes the weaknesses and vanities of some of the biggest stars of the time, but he also finds something good or lovable about them as well.
I wish him well.

Still Crazy
Still Crazy

5.0 out of 5 stars Bill Nighy can really sing!, 21 May 2004
This review is from: Still Crazy (Audio CD)
I bought this CD immediately after seeing the fabulous film Still Crazy. I loved the Strange Fruits' music and was really pleased to see that Bill Nighy can really bop and has a good singing voice. He recently portrayed the worn-out rock singer in the film Love Actually who has no talent at all, but for this film made quite a few years before Love Actually he shows he can really sing. I have always liked Jimmy Nail's distinctive voice too, so was not diappointed with this CD. I kept thinking this sounds a lot like the Electric Light Orchestra, adored by me in my younger days so was not surprised when I saw that Jeff Lynne of ELO had written some of the songs. Great stuff!

Lee: A Romance
Lee: A Romance
by Pamela Marvin

5.0 out of 5 stars A gripping romance, 7 Oct. 2002
This review is from: Lee: A Romance (Paperback)
I loved this book. I hadn't realized that Lee Marvin was such a gentleman. The story of Pamela and Lee who were childhood sweethearts finally getting together when they were 40 and 46 was very uplifting to me. I grieved for them when they had to go through the Triola trial and grieved for them when Lee, such a strong man, died so soon. I hope that Pamela has continued happiness with their children and grandchildren and many happy memories.

Empire Falls
Empire Falls
by Richard Russo

5.0 out of 5 stars I didn't want this book to end., 11 Jun. 2002
This review is from: Empire Falls (Paperback)
I was attracted to this book because I had seen the excellent film of Nobody's Fool from the novel by Richard Russo, so I wanted to see what Mr Russo's writing was like. It's wonderful. This is a huge book but I never tired of reading of the struggles of Miles Roby and his relations with his ex-wife, with his rival in love (the intensely irritating Silver Fox), with his scrounging father and with the cold and calculating Mrs Whiting who runs the town. The characters in this book are so perfectly drawn that you really just want to give Miles Roby a big hug and smack his filthy Father, Max Roby in the nose!

The Prize Winner of Defiance, Ohio: How My Mother Raised 10 Children on 25 Words or Less
by Terry Ryan

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful, heart-warming book, 28 Feb. 2002
This true story about a woman with an alcholic husband and ten children to raise, who supported her family by her skill at winning many contests organized in the 1950s by American companies was wonderful! As a Canadian, born in 1945, I myself remember well the exciting contests advertised in magazines and grocery stores (Win Your Weight in Gold!!) and Terry Ryan one of the heroine's daughters has included in the book copies of the old entry forms and adverts which brought back to me many happy memories of my growing-up years. Her portrait of her formidable mother, who never gave up her optimism that something would come up to help out their financial predicaments, was riveting. I couldn't wait to find out what prizes Evelyn Ryan would win next and how the outstanding dental bills would be paid or the decrepit television would be replaced through Evelyn's skills. The author also includes other humorous anecdotes like the chick adopted by the family cat who when grown into a rooster became the terror of their back yard. I loved this book and I cried at the end.

One Last Time: A psychic medium speaks to those we have loved and lost
One Last Time: A psychic medium speaks to those we have loved and lost
by John Edward

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the most down to earth, talented, and sincere mediums, 4 Sept. 2001
I read this book a few years ago, but then after seeing John Edward on television on the Living channel nightly, I was so struck by his huge psychic gift, that I re read the book. There is no doubt that he is one of the most talented mediums ever seen, but he retains his freshness and honesty. He doesn't put words into the mouths of his clients and he frankly admits when things are confusing to him. His book and his television shows are very comforting to me.