Profile for L. Hitchcock > Reviews

Content by L. Hitchcock

L. Hitchcock (Gloucestershire, England)

Hickory Dickory Dock (Poirot)
Hickory Dickory Dock (Poirot)
by Agatha Christie
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

4.0 out of 5 stars Good on the whole, but not great!, 8 April 2011
I enjoyed the book thoroughly, but this may be somewhat biased as I love anything written by Agatha Christie. The book was easy to read, and finished comfortably within a day, so not too long. As another user has commented, there are a few aspects that seem a bit pointless towards the plot, but these were not too much of an issue.

I didn't feel it had the usual magic that the Poirot novels usually do, and I think you can definitely tell that it was one of the slightly later ones. There was a lot of comment throughout the novel on race, some of it which was a bit dodgy, but as with any Agatha Christie novel, you take it with a pinch of salt.

Selected Poetry (Oxford World's Classics)
Selected Poetry (Oxford World's Classics)
by Gerard Manley Hopkins

4.0 out of 5 stars Got everything it needs :), 1 Mar 2010
I have been using this book for my A Level coursework, and can happily say that it has a great variety of poems. Obviously given the volume of work Hardy produced over his lifetime, it doesn't have everything, but from my counting it definitely has a good few hundred poems. I personally am doing an essay on religion and have found everything I needed in this book.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 22, 2011 11:33 AM GMT

Apple iPod classic 120GB - Black (discontinued by manufacturer)
Apple iPod classic 120GB - Black (discontinued by manufacturer)

4.0 out of 5 stars The iPod = good, Apple = terrible, 3 May 2009
As an iPod, it's one of the best. Loads of room, good layout, easy to use, and an excellent video and picture quality. My only problem is that I got a poor warranty on the product. After just 3 months of having the iPod, the headphone jack broke, meaning that sound only came out of one ear regardless of what headphones I used.

Apple offered to fix it for £100. No chance. My Uncle is fixing it for free for me.

It's a really common problem which shouldn't be happening. If I were you, I'd fork out a little bit more for some extra warranty on it, otherwise you might be kicking yourself like I was.

The Time Traveler's Wife
The Time Traveler's Wife
by Audrey Niffenegger

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my favourite books., 1 Nov 2008
Wow. Reading some of the other reviews, you will be able to get the gist of what the story is about. I'm not going to comment on this, because it's for you to find out yourself. I picked up this book on holiday after having run out of books. I had no idea what it was about other than the literal assumption taken from the title. I was blown away. It was truly beautiful, and I cried so hard towards the end! My father didn't enjoy it at all and couldn't see why I was so enthralled by it, so I'm not going to say you WILL like it, because you might not. But if you have any sort of softness for the real kind of intense love between two people, then I don't see how you couldn't enjoy this book.

Kenzo L'eau Par Kenzo Pour Femme Perfume For Women 100ml EDT Spray
Kenzo L'eau Par Kenzo Pour Femme Perfume For Women 100ml EDT Spray

3.0 out of 5 stars Just not strong enough, 9 Sep 2008
I felt that it has a really nice smell, not too sweet and not too musky, but my one problem with it, is that it's not strong enough. The smell doesn't last on me the whole day, and I don't think it's really strong enough to smell on me that much of the day.

GCSE Modern World History 2nd Edn Student's Book (History In Focus)
GCSE Modern World History 2nd Edn Student's Book (History In Focus)
by Ben Walsh

5.0 out of 5 stars Ben Walsh is a God., 23 May 2008
This book is amazing. Everything I learnt for my history exam was in this book. And it is actually interesting to read - I read bits that weren't even for my course! I would really recommend it. It includes lots and lots of sources, many of which are repeatedly coming up in the exam. It's great to have seen them beforehand. Recommended for anyone doing GCSE history.

The C Words
The C Words
by Mark Mason

5.0 out of 5 stars Unexpectedly hilarious, 7 April 2008
This review is from: The C Words (Paperback)
I actually found myself really enjoying this book. It's really funny and you really get to like the characters. Would recommend it!

We Were Here
We Were Here

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, 17 Jan 2008
This review is from: We Were Here (Audio CD)
The first Joshua Radin song I ever heard was "Closer", and I think it is still my favourite to date. This album is one of those ones that conveys all different emotions. I'll be talking to someone, or walking down the road, and one of his amazingly written lyrics will just pop into my head.

I was amazed when I found out he did a cover of "Only You", it being one of my favourite songs after the Office Xmas Special (British version, naturally.). And it's a really different but beautiful version.

Two more songs that are really worth mentioning (although it's all good) are "Will's Lullaby", which has the most beautiful melody, and always makes me want to cry, and "Amy's Song", which really does sum up my life sometimes: "And sometimes, sometimes, I wanna be...I scream that I wanna be, anyone but me." It's all brilliantly written, and I promise there will be at least one song that you will find yourself relating to.