Profile for Corven > Reviews

Content by Corven

Corven (Wales, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Kamor Sleeve (Nexus 7 case)
Kamor Sleeve (Nexus 7 case)
Offered by YoSpace.U

4.0 out of 5 stars does what it says, 27 Oct 2013
It's a case for the Nexus 7, fits Ok with cut outs for the camera and the operating buttons where they should be.
Only thing that I would like is somewhere to attach a stylus as my swollen fingers are not good at operating the device and the stylus is essential.

Food GLorious Food: Incredibly delicious low-GL recipes: Incredibly Delicious Low-GL Recipes for Friends and Family
by Patrick Holford BSc DipION FBANT NTCRP
Price: 14.55

3.0 out of 5 stars recipes are good, 22 Oct 2013
but I thought a lot of the other stuff in the book was rubbish and not based on scientific principles and evidence.

Economyths: How the Science of Complex Systems is Transforming Economic Thought
Economyths: How the Science of Complex Systems is Transforming Economic Thought
Price: 4.79

4.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating, 22 Oct 2013
I found this much more interesting than I expected and it explains in simple language the theories behind economic policies which I understood properly for the first time.
I'm not sure that I agree with all he says, but it was certainly food for thought and enables me to understand more of what the government, banks etc are talking about.

An Officer and a Spy
An Officer and a Spy
Price: 1.99

3.0 out of 5 stars too miserable, 22 Oct 2013
I very rarely fail to finish a book which is well written as this is, but I found it so depressing that I have put it aside. Man's inhumanity to man is so awful.I may finish it when I feel more resilient, but knowing the outcomes means that I don't have to finish it to find out.

Mr Blaidd (Welsh Edition)
Mr Blaidd (Welsh Edition)
Price: 3.71

2.0 out of 5 stars Anghredinaethol, 22 Oct 2013
Dw i ddim yn gallu credu yn y stori. Fyddai'r merch, Fflur ddim yn debyg i wneud y rhai hynny heb emosiwn!

Beyond the Pampas: In Search of Patagonia
Beyond the Pampas: In Search of Patagonia
Price: 5.99

5.0 out of 5 stars a real exploration of patagonia, 16 Sep 2013
Perhaps it takes a German, living in Wales, to be able to explore the conflicts and subtle currents in Patagonia. So much else I have read is so full of nostalgia for "Old Wales", but through her several journeys, the author gradually comes to see how the "old Welsh", the old and new Argentina, and the original inhabitants of the area, to whom the Welsh immigrants owed their lives at the onset, are not happy co-habitants of this strange land. And the author's growing development as an individual is an added bonus.

The Spirit of '45 [DVD]
The Spirit of '45 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Tony Benn
Price: 11.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A great reminder, 16 Sep 2013
This review is from: The Spirit of '45 [DVD] (DVD)
Recently, I've been rather irritated by people dressing up and celebrating WW2, pretending to enjoy the "roughing it" by eating spam.
This film reminds us all of why everyone was determined that things would be better after the war. That we would make a better world where we did not treat people who were different from us in such terrible ways and we cared for the poorest and the weak.Where we joined together to make progress, not everyone out for themselves and make a profit out of the weakest.
I felt angry about politics now and sad that the passion for making things better for everyone, not just yourself, seems to have disappeared.
A great film - everyone should see it.

The Spy Who Came In From the Co-op: Melita Norwood and the Ending of Cold War Espionage (History of British Intelligence)
Price: 7.79

3.0 out of 5 stars lacks excitement, 20 Aug 2013
As an account of this woman's history it was moderately interesting and I learnt quite a bit about politics between the wars. But there was no sense of the threat or excitement involved in being a spy at that time or afterwards.
Interesting but easy to put down for a while.

Winterlude
Winterlude
Price: 0.59

4.0 out of 5 stars good tale, 21 May 2013
This review is from: Winterlude (Kindle Edition)
If you have been following this series, it is another, full of twists and turns and insights into the "real" lives of those investigating the crimes. The characters are well drawn, interesting and mostly unusual, some very unpleasant.

I found the twists and turns of the story and the excellent characterisation, lifted it out of the ordinary formulaic crime novel.
I'll keep an eye out for more about this detective.

Our Kind of Traitor
Our Kind of Traitor
Price: 4.31

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable but a bit light, 21 May 2013
Somehow this one never really pulled me in and made it un-put-downable. The principal characters were a bit too formulaic. The side story of a girl being seduced in a casual sexual encounter that means so much to her, only to find he is married and hasn't given her another thought is a bit too cliched.
But the story rattles along in the usual John Le Carre style, taking up cudgels against underhand financial dealings with prominent participants.
Not, I felt, one of his best.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5