Profile for Michael Tomlinson > Reviews

Content by Michael Tomlinson

Michael Tomlinson (West Midlands, England)

The Food Of Italy
The Food Of Italy
by Claudia Roden

4.0 out of 5 stars Having had this book for about three years now, ..., 22 Aug 2014
This review is from: The Food Of Italy (Paperback)
Having had this book for about three years now, I find it an interesting read about the history of cooking in the various regions, but I don't use the recipes. A book to borrow from the library perhaps.

BRITA Elemaris Meter Cool Black Water Filter Jug
BRITA Elemaris Meter Cool Black Water Filter Jug

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars, 22 Aug 2014
I have had better filter jugs but it serves its purpose

Grow Herbs
Grow Herbs
by Jekka McVicar

4.0 out of 5 stars A book that doesn't just sit on the shelf, 22 Aug 2014
This review is from: Grow Herbs (Hardcover)
I have had this book for a couple of years now and I refer to it regularly.

Triton 3 Position Showerhead - White
Triton 3 Position Showerhead - White

5.0 out of 5 stars Really pleased., 22 Aug 2014
Unscrew the old showerhead; screw on the new one and you've got a new shower! Really pleased.

Human Voices
Human Voices
by Penelope Fitzgerald

4.0 out of 5 stars Human Voices, 21 Mar 2014
This review is from: Human Voices (Hardcover)
I have 'discovered' Penelope Fitzgerald after listening to the half hour documentary about her on Radio 4, prompted presumably by the recently published biography by Hermione Lee, which I read after requesting it as a Christmas present. I am working my way through the novels. I have read 'The Bookshop' (which the programme said was a good place to start) and 'Offshore' and I am in the middle of this one. I like them because they are short; so far they are quite different from each other and the characters are so well drawn. I am usually a slow reader but I am whistling through these.

River Cafe Pocket Books: Pasta and Ravioli
River Cafe Pocket Books: Pasta and Ravioli
by Rose Gray

5.0 out of 5 stars This is as good as I hoped it would be, 24 July 2011
I noted from one of the other reviews that this is a collection of recipes from the other River Cafe books. I only own 'River Cafe Two Easy' and so this was not an issue for me.
I am always looking for new pasta recipes and this pocket book is just as good as I hoped it would be.

River Cafe Pocket Books: Salads and Vegetables
River Cafe Pocket Books: Salads and Vegetables
by Ruth Rogers

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm going to buy more copies as gifts, 24 July 2011
I bought this recently as an afterthought when buying the Pasta & Ravioli pocket book (which incidentally is as good as I hoped it would be).
I am very impressed with it to the extent that I am going to buy two more copies. One is for my neighbour who keeps an allotment and often gives me vegetables at this time of year,but whose wife jokingly complains about not knowing what to do with all those he brings home. The other is for my brother who grows vegetables in his garden and is a keen cook. I think they will all find the book useful.

Or the Bull Kills You: (Max Cámara 1)
Or the Bull Kills You: (Max Cámara 1)
by Jason Webster

4.0 out of 5 stars Or The Bull Kills You, 4 Mar 2011
I was in Bath recently and Jason Webster was at Topping's bookshop for a talk and a book signing. I'd never heard of him, but I went because I like crime novels and the blurb in the window said this was his first crime novel and the first of a series, which intrigued me - how do you get commissioned to write a series until you know if the first one is a success?
He spoke well; I bought the book and I'd read it by the end of the following day, which is unusual for me because I'm a slow reader as a rule.
The novel is set in Valencia (where Jason Webster lives with his flamenco dancer wife and two young sons)during the annual Fallas fiesta. The background to the story is bullfighting, which he told us in his talk had revived in popularity in Spain recently after looking as if it was dying out. This is pointed up in the novel and gives it a definite 'edge' which I liked, particularly since the flawed 'hero' (if you can call him that) Chief Inspector Max Camara doesn't agree with bullfighting, but gets unwillingly drawn in to its world when a matador is murdered.
At first, I was worried that the novel was going to be too formulaic, but then I was really drawn in and there is an excellent sense of place to the extent that it made me want to visit Valencia. I liked the Max Camara character, although he is very much in the angst ridden Wallander vein.
I look forward to the others in the series - Jason Webster told us that he has alread written the next two.

Veg: The Greengrocer's Cookbook
Veg: The Greengrocer's Cookbook
by Gregg Wallace

4.0 out of 5 stars Veg, 4 Feb 2009
I bought this book for myself about two years ago (although I am not vegetarian)and have used it a lot. I bought a second copy for my veggie nephew as a Christmas gift.
Each chapter deals with a separate vegetable; gives notes about its origins and different types; advice on cooking and cooking times (which I use a lot for reference) and then recipes.
Gregg Wallace has a chatty style which I like.