Profile for LeglessLegoLegolas > Reviews

OtterBox Symmetry Case for Apple iPhone 6 - Black
OtterBox Symmetry Case for Apple iPhone 6 - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Otterly fabulous., 30 Jun. 2016
Brilliant.

I've had my iPhone 6 for nearly 2 years now, and this was the first thing I bought when the phone was still on order. Having two small children who like iPhone apps, dogs who enjoy jumping on sofas when I leave things balanced precariously, and general butterfingers, it seemed like a good idea. 2 years down the line, it's probably saved me a fortune in repairs.

The couple of "big drops" my phone has experienced (onto concrete) have left the corners of the case slightly bashed, but it's still in fine condition. The extra casing also seems to stop the general iPhone problem of pocket lint storing in the charging port and causing problems, which is great. Any knocks, bumps and drops have been easily absorbed by the case. The only real wear and tear is to the power button protector which is starting to peel slightly - this is more an aesthetic issue than anything and still not bad for 2 years of protection.

Yes, dye from pockets does transfer to the lighter coloured otterboxes after a while. My deep pink case is now rather more purply on the sides as it's regularly shoved in a pair of jeans. And the otterbox does add a bit of bulk to the phone - but it's definitely worth it for the maximum protection. I'll be buying one for my next phone too.

Rosewood Soft Protection Salon Grooming Nail Clipper, Large
Rosewood Soft Protection Salon Grooming Nail Clipper, Large

5.0 out of 5 stars Snip them up!, 27 April 2016
Just brilliant. I have a Basset Hound with very thick claws, who isn't exactly the happiest dog in the world when it comes to having his claws clipped. He howls, flips himself from side to side and generally acts like I'm trying to cut off something far more precious than the end of a long claw.

These clippers fit very well in the hand, and there is no slippage when they're used. They don't require a lot of pressure to cut, which is great when you have a dog who hates claw cutting. The usually "SNAP" noise as the claw is cut isn't as bad as on other clippers either, which is another benefit as I feel it is this which my dog reacts to more than the clipping itself. They cut cleanly with no splintering.

The price is brilliant, far more of a bargain than *cough* high street chain pet stores charge, and for the quality of the product it's well worth it. Very happy I bought these!

Amir Oil Diffuser, Aromatherapy Essential Oil Diffuser Ultrasonic Mist Air Humidifier with Color-changing LED Lights - Waterless Auto off - Portable for Home, Yoga, Office, Spa, Bedroom, Baby Room

4.0 out of 5 stars A good, basic diffuser for a nice price., 29 Jan. 2016
Made out of light plastic, with the option for different coloured lights or to cycle through repeatedly, with the option for continuous steam or regular bursts, this is a good diffuser for a good price. It's not the most elegant or stylish of models - the madebyzen models are, for example, more aesthetically pleasing, but double the price and do the same thing.

Mine came packaged in a brown box with no logos, etc. In addition to the diffuser was a power lead and instructions - no measuring jug which other reviewers have received, but this is not a problem as the well for the water and oil has the max level clearly marked.

The instructions were, again, basic, but as the unit is 'plug and play' I wasn't too worried.

It works very nicely. It gives off a low thrumming noise as it operates, which isn't intrusive. I like the fact that it does not heat the water, so is safe around children and animals. The smells of the oils seem to flow nicely around the room.

There are a few issues, however. Cleaning the unit is difficult as the oils slick onto the sides and the bottom of the water well. Rinsing and wiping clean does very little - though I've so far only used one oil, so it may be a specific oil problem.

Logic would, for me, suggest that when cleaning the unit is the best time to top up the water - at the sink. Unfortunately, as the socket for the power lead is under the unit i have to be very careful when floundering about trying to find the socket for the lead so as not to spill water everywhere. Whilst this could be avoided by cleaning and adding water whilst it's plugged in, there is usually an excess slick of oil at the bottom of the well which requires tipping out, so for me it is easier to use a sink.

These negatives are minor quibbles, though. If we carry on using it a lot, I may have to upgrade to something prettier though!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 6, 2016 12:41 AM BST

VTech Gadget the Robot
VTech Gadget the Robot
Offered by PANDY

2.0 out of 5 stars Not as great as it seems, 16 Jan. 2016
This review is from: VTech Gadget the Robot (Toy)
This looked like such an amazing toy when my son was 2, and really interested in robots, music and numbers. Looking for a toy which would support Early Years teaching, I snapped a Gadget up as soon as I could, mainly for help with phonics. Within 3 months he was on eBay.

The letters it teaches aren't phonics, they're letter names. For a toy which is meant to span the Foundation stage of school with its longevity, this is quite shortsighted.

The chips often get stuck in the mechanism, requiring adult help to extract whilst the child remains frustrated.

On the game where it tells you which part of him to move, it requires a full turn of whichever wheel to register - difficult for the younger age range to grasp and leads to frustration.

The on/off switch is large and atop his head. As he sometimes requires a second hand for support when a younger child uses him, he is easily turned off mid game. More frustration. And disconcerting when you're trying to put him away and inadvertently turn him on.

He's cute, but definitely looks like a toy which would appeal to younger children - again, I can't see a child in the upper age range wanting to play with something which looks like it's designed for toddlers. I think 3 is the "right" age - but it's limited in play and educational value.

I see Vtech have updated Gadget, and he's now more like the classic learning robot. It looks better than this.

Humber Boy B
Humber Boy B

5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic novel, 2 Jan. 2016
This review is from: Humber Boy B (Kindle Edition)
Admittedly, I bought this as it was a cheap read set in my hometown and I was intrigued. I'm really pleased I did.

Dugdall's story is not an easy read. It centres around the release of a was-Young offender, jailed for the murder of another child on the Humber Bridge. The story details his release and integration into a world in which he missed the end of his childhood and all of his teenage years in a new environment. It runs parallel to the story of his probation officer, Cate, who also features in Dugdall's other books.

Dugdall makes the reader question how we should feel about offenders, their stories, and those around them. They are immediately asked to question whether Ben is, in fact, a sympathetic character - which feels distasteful given the nature of his crime.

There are elements of a coming of age story within too, as Ben navigates the world around him.

This complex, gripping and challenging novel is one which will definitely stay with me.

LEGO Dimensions: Fun Pack - LEGO Movie Benny
LEGO Dimensions: Fun Pack - LEGO Movie Benny

4.0 out of 5 stars Spaceshiiiiiiiiiiip!, 2 Jan. 2016
Spaceship! Spaceship! Spaceship!

This adds a new figure into your Lego dimensions game. Benny is a great character, and perfect for a fan of the Lego Movie. He's very popular in our house.

Bought for £5 before Christmas, which is even better. 4 stars though, as the box was unbelievably damaged upon receipt.

Fisher-Price Imaginext DC Super Friends Gotham City Jail
Fisher-Price Imaginext DC Super Friends Gotham City Jail

5.0 out of 5 stars Wot?, 2 Jan. 2016
The set is amazing, robust and has lots to do.

However, for the price listed here, the play to value ratio is still a little high.

Natural History Museum Pocket Microscope
Natural History Museum Pocket Microscope

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent microscope - works brilliantly (especially for the price we ..., 27 Dec. 2015
Excellent microscope - works brilliantly (especially for the price we paid) - definitely a quality, recommended product.

Slightly fiddly for younger children (7 year old can struggle) and was a bit difficult to put together, but no real complaints.

Octonauts Gup I Playset
Octonauts Gup I Playset
Offered by AAA Toys

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor quality control, 27 Dec. 2015
This review is from: Octonauts Gup I Playset (Toy)
This was my son's most wanted present this year. It looks amazing in the box, and a decent solid build.

Upon extracting it from the box, however, we were all a bit disappointed. There is masses of packaging for the toy and extras. When it was assembled, I noticed straight away the head was dropping down slightly, and this got worse throughout the day until it wouldn't remain in the up position at all.

The legs wouldn't click into place at the rear, meaning it wouldn't stand up - it just dropped straight back down.

The mechanism on the side is difficult to operate for a small child, counter intuitive and makes fingers sore.

The snowplough won't fit inside the gup if the gup is closed.

We returned our item and have since got another. At the moment the problems seem to have been resolved, mechanism and snowplough aside. We are happy enough, but it seems ridiculous that we have had to get a second just to get some semblance of quality from a popular and expensive toy from a known, big brand.

I've given two stars because the second gup we received does work - but it's clear there is a major problem with the item from all of the reviews saying the same thing. I have little faith that the toy will remain working in the next couple of months.

Learning Resources Design & DrillTM Activity Centre
Learning Resources Design & DrillTM Activity Centre

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent learning toy, 27 Dec. 2015
This is brilliant for developing logic skills in a fun way. My son, who was 3 at the time, was capable of following all of the patterns and loved using the drill. My 7 year old likes creating his own patterns and pictures. And I find unscrewing everything quite therapeutic to save batteries.

I'm sure this toy has really developed my youngest's ability to follow Lego instructions, too.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5