Profile for LeglessLegoLegolas > Reviews

Content by LeglessLegoLegolas

LeglessLegoLegolas "chocolateyclaire" (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Oil Diffuser, Amir® Aromatherapy Essential Oil Diffuser Ultrasonic Mist Air Humidifier with Color-changing LED Lights - Waterless Auto off - Portable for Home, Yoga, Office, Spa, Bedroom, Baby Room, Etc
Offered by Amir UK

4.0 out of 5 stars A good, basic diffuser for a nice price., 29 Jan. 2016
Made out of light plastic, with the option for different coloured lights or to cycle through repeatedly, with the option for continuous steam or regular bursts, this is a good diffuser for a good price. It's not the most elegant or stylish of models - the madebyzen models are, for example, more aesthetically pleasing, but double the price and do the same thing.

Mine came packaged in a brown box with no logos, etc. In addition to the diffuser was a power lead and instructions - no measuring jug which other reviewers have received, but this is not a problem as the well for the water and oil has the max level clearly marked.

The instructions were, again, basic, but as the unit is 'plug and play' I wasn't too worried.

It works very nicely. It gives off a low thrumming noise as it operates, which isn't intrusive. I like the fact that it does not heat the water, so is safe around children and animals. The smells of the oils seem to flow nicely around the room.

There are a few issues, however. Cleaning the unit is difficult as the oils slick onto the sides and the bottom of the water well. Rinsing and wiping clean does very little - though I've so far only used one oil, so it may be a specific oil problem.

Logic would, for me, suggest that when cleaning the unit is the best time to top up the water - at the sink. Unfortunately, as the socket for the power lead is under the unit i have to be very careful when floundering about trying to find the socket for the lead so as not to spill water everywhere. Whilst this could be avoided by cleaning and adding water whilst it's plugged in, there is usually an excess slick of oil at the bottom of the well which requires tipping out, so for me it is easier to use a sink.

These negatives are minor quibbles, though. If we carry on using it a lot, I may have to upgrade to something prettier though!

VTech Gadget the Robot
VTech Gadget the Robot
Offered by GiftsGadgets&Gizmos

2.0 out of 5 stars Not as great as it seems, 16 Jan. 2016
This review is from: VTech Gadget the Robot (Toy)
This looked like such an amazing toy when my son was 2, and really interested in robots, music and numbers. Looking for a toy which would support Early Years teaching, I snapped a Gadget up as soon as I could, mainly for help with phonics. Within 3 months he was on eBay.

The letters it teaches aren't phonics, they're letter names. For a toy which is meant to span the Foundation stage of school with its longevity, this is quite shortsighted.

The chips often get stuck in the mechanism, requiring adult help to extract whilst the child remains frustrated.

On the game where it tells you which part of him to move, it requires a full turn of whichever wheel to register - difficult for the younger age range to grasp and leads to frustration.

The on/off switch is large and atop his head. As he sometimes requires a second hand for support when a younger child uses him, he is easily turned off mid game. More frustration. And disconcerting when you're trying to put him away and inadvertently turn him on.

He's cute, but definitely looks like a toy which would appeal to younger children - again, I can't see a child in the upper age range wanting to play with something which looks like it's designed for toddlers. I think 3 is the "right" age - but it's limited in play and educational value.

I see Vtech have updated Gadget, and he's now more like the classic learning robot. It looks better than this.

Humber Boy B
Humber Boy B

5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic novel, 2 Jan. 2016
This review is from: Humber Boy B (Kindle Edition)
Admittedly, I bought this as it was a cheap read set in my hometown and I was intrigued. I'm really pleased I did.

Dugdall's story is not an easy read. It centres around the release of a was-Young offender, jailed for the murder of another child on the Humber Bridge. The story details his release and integration into a world in which he missed the end of his childhood and all of his teenage years in a new environment. It runs parallel to the story of his probation officer, Cate, who also features in Dugdall's other books.

Dugdall makes the reader question how we should feel about offenders, their stories, and those around them. They are immediately asked to question whether Ben is, in fact, a sympathetic character - which feels distasteful given the nature of his crime.

There are elements of a coming of age story within too, as Ben navigates the world around him.

This complex, gripping and challenging novel is one which will definitely stay with me.

LEGO Dimensions: Fun Pack - LEGO Movie Benny
LEGO Dimensions: Fun Pack - LEGO Movie Benny

4.0 out of 5 stars Spaceshiiiiiiiiiiip!, 2 Jan. 2016
Spaceship! Spaceship! Spaceship!

This adds a new figure into your Lego dimensions game. Benny is a great character, and perfect for a fan of the Lego Movie. He's very popular in our house.

Bought for £5 before Christmas, which is even better. 4 stars though, as the box was unbelievably damaged upon receipt.

Fisher-Price Imaginext DC Super Friends Gotham City Jail
Fisher-Price Imaginext DC Super Friends Gotham City Jail

5.0 out of 5 stars Wot?, 2 Jan. 2016
The set is amazing, robust and has lots to do.

However, for the price listed here, the play to value ratio is still a little high.

Natural History Museum Pocket Microscope
Natural History Museum Pocket Microscope

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent microscope - works brilliantly (especially for the price we ..., 27 Dec. 2015
Excellent microscope - works brilliantly (especially for the price we paid) - definitely a quality, recommended product.

Slightly fiddly for younger children (7 year old can struggle) and was a bit difficult to put together, but no real complaints.

Octonauts Gup I Playset
Octonauts Gup I Playset
Offered by Fun Collectables

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor quality control, 27 Dec. 2015
This review is from: Octonauts Gup I Playset (Toy)
This was my son's most wanted present this year. It looks amazing in the box, and a decent solid build.

Upon extracting it from the box, however, we were all a bit disappointed. There is masses of packaging for the toy and extras. When it was assembled, I noticed straight away the head was dropping down slightly, and this got worse throughout the day until it wouldn't remain in the up position at all.

The legs wouldn't click into place at the rear, meaning it wouldn't stand up - it just dropped straight back down.

The mechanism on the side is difficult to operate for a small child, counter intuitive and makes fingers sore.

The snowplough won't fit inside the gup if the gup is closed.

We returned our item and have since got another. At the moment the problems seem to have been resolved, mechanism and snowplough aside. We are happy enough, but it seems ridiculous that we have had to get a second just to get some semblance of quality from a popular and expensive toy from a known, big brand.

I've given two stars because the second gup we received does work - but it's clear there is a major problem with the item from all of the reviews saying the same thing. I have little faith that the toy will remain working in the next couple of months.

Learning Resources Design & Drill Activity Centre
Learning Resources Design & Drill Activity Centre
Offered by Just Childsplay

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent learning toy, 27 Dec. 2015
This is brilliant for developing logic skills in a fun way. My son, who was 3 at the time, was capable of following all of the patterns and loved using the drill. My 7 year old likes creating his own patterns and pictures. And I find unscrewing everything quite therapeutic to save batteries.

I'm sure this toy has really developed my youngest's ability to follow Lego instructions, too.

Happy Birthday (Many Ways) - Printable Amazon.co.uk Gift Voucher
Happy Birthday (Many Ways) - Printable Amazon.co.uk Gift Voucher

5.0 out of 5 stars Great alternative to cash, 27 Dec. 2015
Sender happy, recipient can buy anything on Amazon so has plenty of choice. Win-win.

I love receiving these too ;oP

Live Milk Kefir Grains to make kefir milk drink
Live Milk Kefir Grains to make kefir milk drink

5.0 out of 5 stars As promised, 27 Dec. 2015
Fantastic grains, thank you!

Product came with easy to follow instructions, and my grains activated straight away.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4