Profile for Claire > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Nylabone Dog Chew - Small Dog Variety Pack Small
Nylabone Dog Chew - Small Dog Variety Pack Small

2.0 out of 5 stars Meh., 5 Feb 2014
I've had a few of these now, and I just can't get excited about them...and more importantly, nor can my dogs.

The edible one isn't a chew at all - it disappears in two bites. Not value for money. The other two are ignored apart from a few nibbles. And I can't help but worry about when they do manage to scrape off some of the non-edible ones that they're basically swallowing plastic/nylon/whatever. They don't seem to be at all interesting, despite the claim that they're flavoured. I've tried washing them, soaking them in stock - but I can't make them appealing to the hounds.

Buy a stagbar instead.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 1, 2014 2:17 PM BST

Henbrandt Sterling Play Money
Henbrandt Sterling Play Money
Offered by Lowest Price

1.0 out of 5 stars Rubbish., 4 Feb 2014
I ordered this item on the basis that the photograph showed money that looked far more realistic than the tat that is available as "pocket money toys" in our local shop. See how the coins look shiny and the notes realistic and a decent size? Don't expect that. I note that whilst I am writing this, the picture they are showing as the item is completely different to that on the purchasing page - the one on the review page is the item I received.

The coins on the item I received are plastic with rough (and sometimes sharp) edges. The sizes of the coins aren't the same as real money. And the coins are either a dull silver or a browny gold - again with no resemblance to real money.

The notes are small, printed on one side and the colours again aren't accurate.

I'd bought this to help my children learn about coins. There's no chance they can do this with the item I received.

Postman Pat SDS Complete Collection [DVD]
Postman Pat SDS Complete Collection [DVD]
Dvd ~ Ivor Wood

5.0 out of 5 stars Postman Pat delivers again!, 4 Feb 2014
Yes, everything has changed and Pat has been modernised. He's now got a mobile phone, a helicopter, a motorbike and a sorting office, and he's no longer carrying the Royal Mail emblem - but the heart of the program is still there.

The storylines are easy to follow - our (just) 2 year old can tell us what's happening in each episode - and the characters are lovely too. Pat is a little (lot) inept, but he eventually saves the day in each episode. Perhaps that's why the Royal Mail let him go?

The characters are instantly recognisable from the 80s.

The songs in the episodes (as well as the theme tune itself) are brilliant and will have you singing them in the most unfortunate of places.

Easily still one of the best children's shows around. Don't bother with the Night Garden or the dreadful Zingzillas - Pat delivers on every level.

Kong Classic Toy, Medium
Kong Classic Toy, Medium

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant toy, 4 Feb 2014
This review is from: Kong Classic Toy, Medium (Misc.)
Firstly - I advise not throwing it in the house. They're large and heavy and unpredictable! We have a "roll only" rule for when my children are playing with the dog!

The true genius of the kong is the ability to "stuff" it. I regularly use mine for stuffing with my pup's meals to slow down his eating and to help him use a bit of brain activity. He's a breed that's prone to bloat so this is a brilliant tool in avoiding that.

There are hundreds of "stuffing recipes" available on the internet. Frozen, these last a long time and so can help separation anxiety by giving the dog something pleasant to concentrate upon in owner's absence.

I've had 4 over the years, and I've only ever replaced them because they've been lost in moving house. An essential for every dog home.

Stagbar Antler dog chew - medium 100% natural ALL SHAPES MAY VARY
Stagbar Antler dog chew - medium 100% natural ALL SHAPES MAY VARY
Offered by Pet-Bliss - Delivering WORLDWIDE

5.0 out of 5 stars Much better than chewing the walls!, 4 Feb 2014
We have a young puppy who is going through the teething stage at the moment. I found these, winced at the price, and gave them a go anyway - and I'm SO glad I did!

He loves chewing it - as does our older staffie - and between them in 3 weeks they've made very little wear on it which means it's an absolute BARGAIN! The staffie especially can eat her way through most things in a couple of hours so we are definitely getting our moneys worth.

The thing to remember is that all of the antlers come in different shapes - and dogs will definitely favour certain shapes - we now have 2 bars and one is gnawed far more than the other. We have tried filing the other one down so that more of the marrow is exposed and this does the trick nicely. I've seen other people mention soaking them in stock, too.

Stagbars are ethically sourced - I did a fair bit of research before my first purchase as when I heard about them my eyebrows were somewhat raised - but I've now got no concern about buying them.

I'll definitely be buying more of these.

Imaginext Batman Motorised Batmobile
Imaginext Batman Motorised Batmobile
Offered by Mytoyfactory

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, durable toy., 21 Jan 2014
My 2 year old received this as a birthday present. It's been a massive hit both with him and his 5 year old brother!

It's really promoted imaginary play in my youngest (currently the batmobile is involved in a very complicated story with a cyberman and Postman Pat) and the speed and distance it achieves driving on wooden flaws is awesome - it really goes! Everyone from children to grandparents has had a go with it and been very impressed. It's very robust - it's accidentally pinged off tables and sideboards quite a few times at top speed and there's been no damage whatsoever.

Our youngest (who is rather particular) had some issues with the fact that Batman does not "sit" in the cockpit of the car, but instead lies flat, but he seems to have got over that quickly enough.

We have briefly had issues with the the engine revving and the car not moving, but new batteries seem to have solved it nicely (and now it goes further and faster as an additional bonus!)

This was our first Imaginext toy, but it certainly won't be our last - we've now got our eyes on the rest of the Batman range...and the dinosaurs look fabulous too!

Tangle Toy Tangle Friendship Bracelet
Tangle Toy Tangle Friendship Bracelet
Offered by The Learning Shop

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for aiding concentration, 2 Jan 2014
I was finding that my 5 year old son was having difficulty concentrating, especially when reading, and would become distracted by fiddling with clothes or anything else he could find.

I bought him one of these having seen recommendations on a parenting forum - and I've gone on to buy one for myself too. They feel lovely and satisfying to fiddle with, bend into nice patterns and are lovely colours too. The only thing that I dislike with these is the fact that they can be taken apart - this had sounded appealing at first as I thought he could make combinations of colours to suit him - but he's since discovered unclipping the bits and clipping them back together instead - which makes a clicking noise and also causes problems if bits ping off whilst he's meant to be concentrating!

Harringtons Complete Puppy Dry Mix 2 kg (Pack of 6)
Harringtons Complete Puppy Dry Mix 2 kg (Pack of 6)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value for money, 2 Jan 2014
We decided to buy a pack of Harringtons to try out on our new Basset Hound puppy, who had previously been fed Fish4Dogs, which would have been too expensive for us to keep up long term.

I've been very impressed by it, and as such I have a subscribe and save order set up now. This option of 6 x 2kg bags works out significantly cheaper than buying it in a supermarket.

Our pup has done brilliantly on the food. He wolfs (dogs?) his meals down, which we still wet down for him and he is putting on weight as expected. He is glossy of coat, and we have no issues with flatulence or bad breath, and is full of energy (for a Basset!) without being hyperactive. We're really pleased by Harringtons, and will be keeping him on it for the rest of his puppyhood, before moving on to adult food.

Postman Pat - Set of 5 Figures
Postman Pat - Set of 5 Figures
Offered by Latest Bargains

5.0 out of 5 stars Pat toys deliver!, 2 Jan 2014
Our 2 year old is going through a Postman Pat obsession, so we bought these for him.

I was very impressed by them - the paint work is good and the toys are durable. They can be a bit fiddly to use with the vehicles (getting Pat and Jess into the van, which is sold separately) for little fingers (and not so little ones) but not enough to detract from the pleasure they bring. I do find it a bit annoying, however, that in a set of 5 there is a lot of repetition between the figures - Pat and Jess come with each set - so it's quite costly to collect the complete set of figures.

They are a great start for imaginative play.

Dinosaur Train - Spooky Adventures [DVD]
Dinosaur Train - Spooky Adventures [DVD]

5.0 out of 5 stars What's not to love?, 21 Oct 2013
Dinosaurs and a catchy theme tune - a real winner with my almost 2 year old and his 5 year old brother.

With its big, bright colours and gorgeous characters, my youngest was immediately enthralled - and so was I when I realised that actually, this is a well researched and brilliantly written programme. Both of my children love the end segments where the palaeontologist talks about the dinosaurs featured in each episode.

It would be great if they would bring out a full season DVD instead of the small compilation of episodes.

You'll find yourself singing the theme tune in the most embarrassing of places.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3