Profile for Mr. M. F. J. Streeton > Reviews

Content by Mr. M. F. J. S...

Mr. M. F. J. Streeton

Page: 1 | 2
Walking In Memphis
Walking In Memphis

5.0 out of 5 stars Spine Tingling Song!, 14 April 2014
This review is from: Walking In Memphis (MP3 Download)
Like many people I knew the Cher version of this song but I hadn't appreciated that the composer,Marc Cohn actually recorded it.His rendition of this powerful ballad reminds of Joe Cocker or Tim Harding or Jeff Buckley which is no bad thing! Take a listen and I'm sure you will agree the song will get hold of you and live in your brain.The piano playing is sensational too!

The Suite from ''Downton Abbey''
The Suite from ''Downton Abbey''

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb theme!, 17 Mar 2014
I heard the Downton Abbey Suite played by John Lunn ,the composer at the piano on John Suchet's Classic FM programme last Thursday while driving around and immediately loved,hearing it in its entirety for the first time.It is stirring music and so I downloaded it from Amazon.Superb music which instantly brings back memories of the programme and all the protagonists.

Greatest Hits (Amazon Edition)
Greatest Hits (Amazon Edition)
Price: 4.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Fats Is Tops, 20 Feb 2014
It's a wonderful collection of songs reflecting Fats Domino's career.Besides the well-known compositions such as "Ain't That A Shame","Blueberry Hill" and "Walking To New Orleans" there are a number of songs which I didn't know!
I really rate this Greatest Hits highly.

Between The Devil And The Deep Blue Sea
Between The Devil And The Deep Blue Sea
Price: 0.79

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 16 July 2013
I really enjoy listening to this album and I suppose my favourite track for sure is Davenport Blues.A must for any trad jazz fan!

She Makes Me Happy
She Makes Me Happy

5.0 out of 5 stars Rod reverts to his old style!, 16 July 2013
This review is from: She Makes Me Happy (MP3 Download)
Rod's new single release "She Makes Me Happy" is a change in the right direction.It reminds me of the old days,the early 70s when he was in the charts with Maggie May and You Wear It Well.The lyrics are sharp and amusing and for me this song really lifts my spirits.

Rhythm Of The Rain (Buddha Remastered - January 16, 2001)
Rhythm Of The Rain (Buddha Remastered - January 16, 2001)

4.0 out of 5 stars Rhythm Of The Rain-instrumental version, 14 May 2013
I have always loved the Cascades song-Rhythm Of The Rain as well as being an ardent fan of Floyd Cramer and his "slip note" technique so when I spotted that he had made a recording of the tune I immediately downloaded it.It in fact was a hit for him in the American charts in 1977,a little later than his early chart successes in the early 60s.Good without being outstanding!
However a little spoilt by the pattering rain and storm effects on the record.At the end the tune finishes with about 15 seconds of soundtrack of rain falling; I would have preferred a little moreof Mr Cramer instead..

Birdland
Birdland

5.0 out of 5 stars Catchy jazz rhythm, 26 Mar 2013
This review is from: Birdland (MP3 Download)
I love the funky sound of this track.I'm so glad to have downloaded this tune as it's always been one of my favourites.

September of My Years
September of My Years
Price: 12.01

5.0 out of 5 stars A Marvellous review, 13 Nov 2012
This review is from: September of My Years (Audio CD)
Thank you for a very thoughtful and poignant review.It is frustrating that I can't find a list of all the songs contained on the CD and for sometime I have hankered to purchase this album.I adore September Song and judging by your comments the high standard of the other compositions will not disappoint! Definitely a gift I would love Santa to leave in my stocking.Sinatra was unique,an icon and without doubt the voice of the 20th century!

The Boxer (Bonus Track) [feat. Mumford & Sons]
The Boxer (Bonus Track) [feat. Mumford & Sons]

5.0 out of 5 stars As good as the original!, 8 Nov 2012
I really didn't think it was impossible to produce a version of "The Boxer" which equalled the superb original song by S&G back in 1969 but Marcus Mumford and the boys have achieved it.Jerry Douglas joins them on dobro which adds an extra dimension.Listen for yourself and I think you will enjoy this very folky inpretation of a great song.

The Adventures of Tintin: The Secret Of The Unicorn [DVD]
The Adventures of Tintin: The Secret Of The Unicorn [DVD]
Dvd ~ Daniel Craig
Price: 3.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Tintin DVD, 8 Aug 2012
I am only too aware that some folk will believe that this film is a total travesty and not faithful to Herge's adventures.In fact I would say that having read several of the original stories by Herge and being brought up on the 1960s cartoon series which I remember watching avidly on BBC, The Secret Of The Unicorn is great fun!

Page: 1 | 2