Profile for keithddd > Reviews

The History of Birmingham's Snow Hill Station
Dvd ~ Derek Harrison
Offered by BRITAIN ON FILM

3.0 out of 5 stars A reasonable overview of Snow Hill history, 19 April 2014
To be fair, this DVD gives a reasonable overview of the fascinating history of Snow Hill Station. The commentary is well written and well presented, but I found the video content rather disappointing. My biggest complaint is that most of the content - I would estimated around 90% - is still images. When buying a DVD of this type, I would expect a substantial proportion of the content to be in the form of film clips, but that's definitely not the case with this DVD. My other gripe is that the still pictures are not particularly well reproduced - they're very jagged and lacking in detail on my 42-inch TV. They may, of course, look better on a smaller screen. Having said all that, the DVD is not expensive at £9.50, so if you have a passing interest in the history Snow Hill and you don't have access to any other material, it may be worth buying. But if you want high quality still images, you would be better off investing in a book. "Birmingham Snow Hill - A Great Station" by Ian Baxter and Richard Harper is excellent and has some great pictures, but unfortunately it's out of print. If you're a real enthusiast you may want to seek out a copy but, be warned, it's likely to cost rather more than £9.50!

Al-Kitaab Fii Ta Allum Al- Arabiyya: Pt. 1: A Textbook for Beginning Arabic
Al-Kitaab Fii Ta Allum Al- Arabiyya: Pt. 1: A Textbook for Beginning Arabic
by Kristen Brustad

4.0 out of 5 stars Comprehensive, but not teach yourself, 9 Nov 2010
I'm doing a second year evening course in Arabic and I bought this book on the recommendation of my tutor. It has excellent coverage of grammar and vocabulary. The material it contains is interesting and relevant for adults. (Many other elementary Arabic text books seem to be aimed at children). The DVDs accompanying the book are also very good - high quality and well presented. Having said all of that, I do think that this would be a very difficult book to use to teach myself Arabic if I were not attending a course. I often need to ask my tutor for clarification of the explanations given in the book and, for someone learning on their own, I think it probably moves on rather too quickly. However, as a text book to accompany an Arabic language course, I would certainly recommend this book.