Profile for Simon Beer > Reviews

Content by Simon Beer

Simon Beer (Wirral, England)

Page: 1 | 2
AKG K430 Mini On-ear Foldable Headphones with Integrated Volume Control 125 dB / 30 Mw - Dark Blue (discontinued by manufacturer)

5.0 out of 5 stars Compact treat for your ears., 8 Jan. 2015
The blue colour I could take or leave, but it made the headphones much cheaper at the time. Great sound and build quality for the cash, even come with a nice case.

Have tried to move to premium in ear phones for out and about for years but just can't seem to get ones that I find anywhere near as comfortable and quality sounding as my usual DJ on ear headphones. Finally think I have found a compromise I can live with.

Not as compact as I was hoping when folded down but much smaller than the Sennheiser hd 25 I use at home.

Linx 10 inch Tablet  (Intel Atom Quad Core Z3735F, 2Gb RAM, 32Gb storage, camera, WLAN, BT, Windows 8, Black)
Linx 10 inch Tablet (Intel Atom Quad Core Z3735F, 2Gb RAM, 32Gb storage, camera, WLAN, BT, Windows 8, Black)

5.0 out of 5 stars Swiss army gadget?, 8 Jan. 2015
Review for 10" Version bought elsewhere on sale.

Had previously bought the 7" version and was so impressed I bought the 10" one when seen at £80. System works well enough for general use and is compact enough for me to keep in my bag at all times. I work in IT support and generally use a main system, but having a 2nd system to hand is really useful. The 7" one runs well enough so the extra 1GB memory to make 2GB gives real comfort. This is not a main PC for a heavy workload, but it does a good job as both a windows tablet for recreation and a mini laptop for work.

One of the complaints from a few people is that it does not charge through the Micro USB. Personally I think it should have had two micro USB ports so you could use one for charging and one for devices, but as is I still find it useful to have a separate power port so I can charge whilst using external devices (it can even charge other devices whilst plugged in). If you want flexibility search auction sites or Amazon for a "2.5 mm x 0.8 mm USB cable". This will conveniently allow it to be charged from any USB charger or port, mine cost £1.92 delivered.

The other item I added was a Black Kensington KeyFolio Expert Case/Cover, model K39532UK and only £11.04 from Scan. This misses the Trackpad of the official case, but you have a touchscreen so it is fine.

To me it is an all in one companion device, for that I would still say it is good value even at the higher price.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Sony PS4 Camera (PS4)
Sony PS4 Camera (PS4)
Offered by Accessory-Shop

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost something special, 11 Dec. 2013
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Sony PS4 Camera (PS4) (Accessory)
This came as part of the "Player Pack" I got on PS4 launch. Essentially this brings a lot of the functions that Kinect does to the Xbox, but is enough cheaper that you also got an extra pad and Killzone for your £430 from Amazon. Personally I am hoping this encourages multiformat game designers to add functionality that supports this OR Kinect in similar ways, but they will only do so if it sells.

So why should you buy it now? Well do you want your PS4 to recognise you when you come in the room? Do you want to be able to use videos in your chat or game commentary? Do you want to shout commands at your PS4 like some leader of the Third Reich? If you like the sound of these then get one and enjoy the added functionality.

Why is it not quite special yet? Well there are literally no real games that use it for additional functionality (unless you count the Playroom app which I personally don't). Also the voice commands needs improving with more commands and operation during play of all games. However both of these will come and they will come faster the more people get on board.

HTC Double Dip Hard Shell Case for HTC One - Grey/Red (discontinued by manufacturer)
Offered by Hale Communications

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible Design Ruins Phone, 14 Jun. 2013
Have to say I was made up when this case arrived. It looks the part, fits well and is nice and solid. Unfortunately this happiness ended very suddenly when after using for a couple of months I had to remove it.

As I took it off you could not get away from the scraping sound. Basically it has no give in it and has to be slid off the phone. Unfortunately the design is not well enough sealed to prevent a little dust getting in. This dust them drags past the phone and on a nice black HTC One creates chips and scratches.

Having spent good money protecting my phone with this it has achieved the exact opposite. I may as well have had the pleasure of having a nice looking phone that no one else had for a few months and accepted the risk of damaging it a bit myself.

Very unhappy with this and would strongly recommend everyone stay well clear. Also very unhappy with the strength of finish on the phone, but that is a different review.

Anglepoise Type 1228 Wall Light, Carmine Red Shade
Anglepoise Type 1228 Wall Light, Carmine Red Shade

1.0 out of 5 stars Colour nothing like the images, 28 Mar. 2013
If you are thinking of buying this because you want a red light then don't bother. When my first one arrived and was pink I thought it was a factory mistake. However due to a good price on a Amazon return I ordered of both Amazon and a Marketplace seller, both are pink. It looks nothing like any of the photos shown which is very poor IMO.

The product is expensive for what it is, but I really liked the style and the colour shown was just right for the look I am going for. When you look at the likes of the finish on the metal you can tell it is not a cheap fitting. At over £80 for a fitting, a plastic shade, a small aluminium arm and a switch, they should really be able to afford some decent photography.

Now I am left with the hassle and expense of returning both of them when it could easily have been avoided.

Erol Alkan: Another "Bugged Out" Mix & "Bugged In" Selection
Erol Alkan: Another "Bugged Out" Mix & "Bugged In" Selection

5.0 out of 5 stars Great mixes for all occasions, 14 Dec. 2012
As a Bugged Out veteran and a big fan of Erol and his last entry into this series I was made up to hear there was another release coming.

Top mixes, particularly the Bugged In Selection. Erol's ability to both pick eclectic and interesting tunes as well as pull them together cohesively is astounding.

Probably my favourite mix of the year.

Gordon Ramsay's Great British Pub Food
Gordon Ramsay's Great British Pub Food
by Gordon Ramsay

5.0 out of 5 stars Really good book of traditional British Pub Food, 9 July 2009
I have really enjoyed reading through this and trying some of the excellent recipes. The book covers a large number of dishes most cooks will already make my their version off, but don't take that as a bad thing. Instead I think of it a bit like the Cook Off's on the F-Word where Gordon shows the celebs his take on their signature dish, mainly resulting in a really good alternative.

I have tried the bangers and mash and the chicken and bacon pie to great success. I am sure the others will be just as easy. Compared to Jamie Oliver's random mutterings on a page that sometimes leave vital decisions to the imagination, Gordon's recipes are easy top read and follow. For a nice change these ones are very realistic midweek home fayre too. You don't have to throw a dinner party, scour oriental supermarkets or any of the other nonsense many cookbooks result in. Instead the vast majority of recipes are best serviced by a herb garden, a trip to the butcher, the greengrocers and some store cupboard essentials, my kind of cooking.

My only wish with this book is that some of the bloomin awful pubs around my house go buy this and take on some of the recipes. It is near impossible to name one that provides what I class as good pub food, instead it is either carveries or menus so big there isn't a cat in hells chance of anything being fresh. A simple mixture of some nice grill basics and 4-6 specials for the week should be enough for any of them.

Coleman Hampton Double Sleeping Bag
Coleman Hampton Double Sleeping Bag

5.0 out of 5 stars Ace Sleeping Bag, So Long as Not Carrying too Far, 9 July 2009
Got this for me and my partner as we regularly go camping or to festivals. When it arrived I was a little shocked by how large the bag was in it's packaging. I also have to say it is quite a bit heavier than two normal 2-3 season mummy type bags.

In use though more than makes up for it. The bag is really big so two of you fit in comfortably. I am 6ft tall and don't touch the bottom, even with the front folded to use part of the bag as a hood (as pictured on Amazon). It is great to snuggle up to each other and be really warm when the night is cold. The full complement of zips mean it is easy to cool down though and the space means you can get away from each other as the sun hits the tent.

In summary, this is a massive and luxurious bag. It is also the best bag I have had for dealing with both hot and cold. It was a nightmare to carry from the car at Glastonbury, but I would do so again in an instant. Really good product.

Wenko Shoe organizer Libertà 3+8 compartments
Wenko Shoe organizer Libertà 3+8 compartments

5.0 out of 5 stars Does exactly what it says on the tin, 12 Feb. 2009
As a fella I don't have too much stuff hanging up in my wardrobe. Being fairly active and working in an office means that I have too many shoes to sit neatly at the bottom of my wardrobe (especially as my partners seem to mystically spill into mine). This will happily take either 2 small shoes or one big one per slot. It keeps my smart shoes, slippers and favorite trainers away from walking boots, wellies and scruffy trainers.

Chef'n Tongo Silicone Tongs Cherry 9" (23cm)
Chef'n Tongo Silicone Tongs Cherry 9" (23cm)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Set of Tongs for Pans, 12 Feb. 2009
What can you say about a set of tongs? Well what I can say is that these do most things you would want. Firstly the silicone means they don't scratch pans. Secondly the silicone also means they don't get hot. Thirdly when I bought them at less than a fiver that was a decent deal. The only things against them are that they don't have any sort of catch to keep them closed in the drawer and that I wouldn't fancy using the silicone over a BBQ.

Page: 1 | 2