Profile for GG > Reviews

Content by GG

GG "GoldenGem"

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Anker Multi-Angle Portable Stand for Tablets 7-10 inch, E-readers and Smartphones, 0.4lb Lightweight Durable Aluminum Body, Compatible for iPad Air, Mini, iPhone 6 5S 5 4S, Samsung Galaxy S5 S4 S3, Google Nexus 5 6 7 9 Phones, Tablets and more (Silver)
Offered by AnkerDirect

5.0 out of 5 stars Anker Portable Stand for ipads and Kindle, 23 Jun. 2014
I do have a proper cover for my ipad but the indents in it don't keep the ipad stable at all. This portable stand is perfect - it makes the ipad stable and we can use it on the Kindle Fire too. It's such an inexpensive piece of equipment but it makes such a BIG difference. I would thoroughly recommend it to all ipad or Kindle users.

The Climb: Tragic Ambitions on Everest
The Climb: Tragic Ambitions on Everest
by Anatoli Boukreev

5.0 out of 5 stars The Climb, 14 April 2014
I really did enjoy this book and it's a really good memorial to the mountaineering skills of Anatoli Boukreev. This needs to be read along with Graham Ratcliffe's book A Day to Die For before you cast judgement on the events of the 1996 disaster in Jon Krakauer's book Into Thin Air. You need to read all three to get a proper perspective on those dreadful events.

A Day to Die For: 1996: Everest's Worst Disaster - One Survivor's Personal Journey to Uncover the Truth
by Graham Ratcliffe

5.0 out of 5 stars A Day to Die For, 14 April 2014
I really did enjoy this book. I don't know what really happened re: the weather forecasts and it detracted from my enjoyment of the book a little as I found it hard to believe that two fine men like Scott Fischer and Rob Hall would do such a thing and as both were dead at the time the book was written and without definite proof I feel it would have been better to let the matter lie although I can understand the hurt and anger that such a thing might have happened. However discounting that it was a thrilling read about the trials of even experienced high altitude climbers on Everest. As the first Briton to climb Everest from both the North and the South side I think Mr Ratcliffe is one to be proud of.

Into Thin Air: A personal account of the Everest disaster  - updated 2nd edition
Into Thin Air: A personal account of the Everest disaster - updated 2nd edition
by Jon Krakauer

4.0 out of 5 stars Into Thin Air by Jon Krakauer, 14 April 2014
I did enjoy this book but agree with others that the dispute he had with another climber spoilt the end of it. I also read The Climb by Anatoli Boukreev and A Day to Die for by Graham Ratcliffe - both very readable books too. As Boukreev was working FOR Fischer I can't see that he should shoulder all the blame and he did go back out and rescue climbers who would certainly have added to the death total otherwise. On top of that the dead people were mostly from another party of climbers who were nothing to do with him. So his actions would not have affected them. Just my thoughts on the matter. However it doesn't detract from the main story which is very well written. It's just a shame he had to make such an unkind judgement on such a good climber as Anatoli.

Help Me! Guide to the iPad Air: Step-by-Step User Guide for the Fifth Generation iPad and iOS 7

5.0 out of 5 stars Help Me Guide to the Ipad Air, 12 April 2014
As a complete novice to ipads I found this book so helpful. It's easy to follow and covers just about everything an ipad user needs to know. It's so useful to have such a guide handy and I would thoroughly recommend it to anyone who has never used an ipad before particularly if, like me, they are non-technical.

Cadfael - The Complete Collection [DVD]
Cadfael - The Complete Collection [DVD]
Dvd ~ Derek Jacobi

5.0 out of 5 stars Brother Cadfael, 9 Feb. 2014
I loved the Cadfael books and thoroughly enjoyed this DVD. Derek Jacobi is just superb as he always is but there was a strong cast with him. I can't praise it highly enough and only wish they had done another series.

Niv: The Authorised Biography of David Niven
Niv: The Authorised Biography of David Niven

5.0 out of 5 stars The Authorised Biography of David Niven, 6 Dec. 2013
Having read "The Moon's a Balloon" many years ago together with "Bring on the Empty Horses" both by David Niven I looked forward to reading this biography and was not disappointed. David always struck me as being the epitome of an English gentleman, suave, well mannered, polite and brave. Until I read this book I didn't quite realise how brave he was. The author points out that a lot of David's own autobiographies should be read with a pinch of salt but I had already guessed that, it was David's humour and his way of coping I think. I won't go into the sad details of his second marriage here as I think you need to read it yourself and make up your own mind. However when I finished reading it I admired David Niven even more yet the book didn't set out to put him on a pedestal. A really interesting book about a true gentleman in every sense of the word.

Sisters, Secrets and Sacrifice: The True Story of WWII Special Agents Eileen and Jacqueline Nearne
by Susan Ottaway

5.0 out of 5 stars Sisters, Secrets and Sacrifice, 6 Dec. 2013
I had some knowledge of the work of both sisters before I saw this book as I've read a lot about the work of SOE and French section in particular. It was nice to read their story in full though. To me, born just after WWII ended, the courage of these men and women is almost beyond belief and more than a few were brutally executed by the nazis. However by some miracle these two ladies were amongst the survivors and I can highly recommend this book to those who want to learn about the women of SOE and the work they did during WWII.

A-Z of Home Freezing
A-Z of Home Freezing
by Mary Norwak

4.0 out of 5 stars A-Z of freezing, 5 Nov. 2013
This review is from: A-Z of Home Freezing (Paperback)
Now we are pensioners we have declared war on waste more than ever and this is such a useful book. I had a copy years ago but mislaid it so I purchased it again. Everything you need to know about what you can and can't freeze is in here as well as instructions on how to go about it. It's quite an old book but I haven't seen anything more modern to better it which is why I was so delighted to be able to obtain a copy. I would fully recommend it for those, like ourselves, who have to run a tight budget.

Christmas with Gordon
Christmas with Gordon
by Gordon Ramsay

5.0 out of 5 stars A really useful Christmas Cookbook by Gordon Ramsay, 5 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Christmas with Gordon (Hardcover)
I am slightly biased here because switching my ears off to his language I do really like Gordon and he is innovative as ever in this book and what I like most of all about it as that it's easy for ordinary cooks such as myself to follow. So thanks to Gordon I hope to excel myself this Christmas.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4