Profile for GoldenGem > Reviews

Content by GoldenGem

GoldenGem "GoldenGem"

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Into Thin Air: A personal account of the Everest disaster  - updated 2nd edition
Into Thin Air: A personal account of the Everest disaster - updated 2nd edition
by Jon Krakauer

4.0 out of 5 stars Into Thin Air by Jon Krakauer, 14 April 2014
I did enjoy this book but agree with others that the dispute he had with another climber spoilt the end of it. I also read The Climb by Anatoli Boukreev and A Day to Die for by Graham Ratcliffe - both very readable books too. As Boukreev was working FOR Fischer I can't see that he should shoulder all the blame and he did go back out and rescue climbers who would certainly have added to the death total otherwise. On top of that the dead people were mostly from another party of climbers who were nothing to do with him. So his actions would not have affected them. Just my thoughts on the matter. However it doesn't detract from the main story which is very well written. It's just a shame he had to make such an unkind judgement on such a good climber as Anatoli.

Help Me! Guide to the iPad Air: Step-by-Step User Guide for the Fifth Generation iPad and iOS 7

5.0 out of 5 stars Help Me Guide to the Ipad Air, 12 April 2014
As a complete novice to ipads I found this book so helpful. It's easy to follow and covers just about everything an ipad user needs to know. It's so useful to have such a guide handy and I would thoroughly recommend it to anyone who has never used an ipad before particularly if, like me, they are non-technical.

Cadfael - The Complete Collection [DVD]
Cadfael - The Complete Collection [DVD]
Dvd ~ Derek Jacobi

5.0 out of 5 stars Brother Cadfael, 9 Feb 2014
I loved the Cadfael books and thoroughly enjoyed this DVD. Derek Jacobi is just superb as he always is but there was a strong cast with him. I can't praise it highly enough and only wish they had done another series.

Niv: The Authorised Biography of David Niven
Niv: The Authorised Biography of David Niven

5.0 out of 5 stars The Authorised Biography of David Niven, 6 Dec 2013
Having read "The Moon's a Balloon" many years ago together with "Bring on the Empty Horses" both by David Niven I looked forward to reading this biography and was not disappointed. David always struck me as being the epitome of an English gentleman, suave, well mannered, polite and brave. Until I read this book I didn't quite realise how brave he was. The author points out that a lot of David's own autobiographies should be read with a pinch of salt but I had already guessed that, it was David's humour and his way of coping I think. I won't go into the sad details of his second marriage here as I think you need to read it yourself and make up your own mind. However when I finished reading it I admired David Niven even more yet the book didn't set out to put him on a pedestal. A really interesting book about a true gentleman in every sense of the word.

Sisters, Secrets and Sacrifice: The True Story of WWII Special Agents Eileen and Jacqueline Nearne
by Susan Ottaway

5.0 out of 5 stars Sisters, Secrets and Sacrifice, 6 Dec 2013
I had some knowledge of the work of both sisters before I saw this book as I've read a lot about the work of SOE and French section in particular. It was nice to read their story in full though. To me, born just after WWII ended, the courage of these men and women is almost beyond belief and more than a few were brutally executed by the nazis. However by some miracle these two ladies were amongst the survivors and I can highly recommend this book to those who want to learn about the women of SOE and the work they did during WWII.

A-Z of Home Freezing
A-Z of Home Freezing
by Mary Norwak

4.0 out of 5 stars A-Z of freezing, 5 Nov 2013
This review is from: A-Z of Home Freezing (Paperback)
Now we are pensioners we have declared war on waste more than ever and this is such a useful book. I had a copy years ago but mislaid it so I purchased it again. Everything you need to know about what you can and can't freeze is in here as well as instructions on how to go about it. It's quite an old book but I haven't seen anything more modern to better it which is why I was so delighted to be able to obtain a copy. I would fully recommend it for those, like ourselves, who have to run a tight budget.

Christmas with Gordon
Christmas with Gordon
by Gordon Ramsay

5.0 out of 5 stars A really useful Christmas Cookbook by Gordon Ramsay, 5 Nov 2013
This review is from: Christmas with Gordon (Hardcover)
I am slightly biased here because switching my ears off to his language I do really like Gordon and he is innovative as ever in this book and what I like most of all about it as that it's easy for ordinary cooks such as myself to follow. So thanks to Gordon I hope to excel myself this Christmas.

A Feast for Crows (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 4)
A Feast for Crows (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 4)

2.0 out of 5 stars A Feast for Crows, 10 Aug 2013
I've made my comments on the Book 5 A Dance with Dragons review and all I will add is that this book was where what was basically a very good idea for a story started to fall apart. I didn't like either book and I think that's such a shame that the author feels that killing off the original characters was the right thing to do. By the end of the following books nearly all of them are gone and all we are left with is sex and gore - and the best of the characters dead. Sorry I didn't like the book at all.

A Song of Ice and Fire (5) - A Dance With Dragons: Book 5
A Song of Ice and Fire (5) - A Dance With Dragons: Book 5

1.0 out of 5 stars Has George R R Martin lost his way? A Dance with Dragons, 10 Aug 2013
I quite enjoyed the first three books but this author has a propensity to kill all his characters off and replace them with really feeble characters and by the end of this book there were starting to be too many of them and too many threads drifting about. Someone like Tolkien could get away with that as he pulled them back together periodically but both this book and the last introduced too many new characters and virtually killed off all the original characters and we are left with the dross. No I didn't like this book and I am doubtful that I will purchase any more in the series nor will I watch the next series on TV. I noticed that at the last GoT conference he intimated he was at least giving actors jobs. Therefore I think he has lost the plot somewhat. I thought JKR was bad enough killing of some of her major characters but compared to Mr Martin she was very lenient. I'm sorry but I hated this book and that's the kindest thing I can say I can't give the plot (?) away in case some have not read it. I am sure some others will disagree with my opinion though which of course they are fully entitled to do.

A Pacifist at War: The Life of Francis Cammaerts: The Silence of Francis Cammaerts
by Ray Jenkins

4.0 out of 5 stars A very brave man, 7 Nov 2011
I have previously read of Francis Cammaerts war service in Michael Foot's excellent book "SOE in France" where he was very highly commended so it was great to read his life story and what a life it was. Apart from his work as an agent of SOE (and I am astonished that someone so obviously English in looks was able to mostly elude the Germans) his work in education both at home and overseas should be commended too. A very interesting book but unfortunately no photographs.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4