Profile for JA White > Reviews

Content by JA White

JA White

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
VonShef Premium Boston Cocktail Set, Free 2 Year Warranty, Stainless Steel Boston Cocktail Shaker and Glass, Wooden Muddler, Twisted Mixing Bar spoon, Hawthorne Cocktail Strainer, 2x Shot Measurers
Offered by DOMU UK

Nips 216 x 125 x 5mm DL Size CD/ DVD Card Mailer with Removable Disc Sleeve - White (Pack of 10)

4.0 out of 5 stars Look great but a little fragile, 26 July 2012
This product is fantastic. Looks professional and scores high on practicality. Disk posts in a secure card wallet - unfortunately there's no thin plastic window (personally I feel this would improve the overall feel of the item?) Once customer has received their disc, you tear of the insert which allows you to keep the disk in a folder or disc flip container. I have taken to printing stickers to attach to the insert - business name number etc.
Cons - they are slightly fragile & could tear after repeated opening closing.

As long as you can resist the need to keep opening the card wallet (ie prep your contents & put them all in together) you should find these trouble free. I would definitely recommend them.

Gish
Gish

5.0 out of 5 stars For any Pumpkins fans out there, 11 July 2012
This review is from: Gish (Audio CD)
Are you were wondering whether or not to buy this record...?? Thinking - yes 15 quid is a lot to pay on 1 album let alone the fact that, if given the choice you'd rather buy the Siamese dream remaster. I was also caught in the same dilemma. However having never owned a copy of Gish I thought what the hell and popped a copy of this in the basket. I would like to say that, having listened to the CD2 tracks, this CD alone is worth the cash. It sounds like A clean modern Billy without a lot of his pretentious weirdness from some of the later stuff.

Yes some of the tracks are scattered in the far corners of of some of the best of's and the chances are that some fans may have some of these, but there are some real gems here I've never heard before. And they sound great. Yet to put my finger on why this cd is so special. Really am looking forward to getting to know this album. Top class.

Now That's What I Call Music! 78
Now That's What I Call Music! 78

2.0 out of 5 stars Whats my age again??, 27 April 2011
I would love to know who's buying this stuff. Would anyone care to let me know if anyone above the age of 15 is buying this sort of thing any more - or is that the point? I just dont get it....

Fisual 4m Pearl VGA Cable
Fisual 4m Pearl VGA Cable
Offered by AudioVisual Online

5.0 out of 5 stars IMPORTANT WIRING INFO, 25 July 2010
Firstly I'd like to say this is a good quality product and I'm more than satisfied with it; however you may find that you have no display after the pc Operating System boots up. Initially I was concerned there was a fault with the cable. But it was strange how the signal came through on startup then vanished. I did undertake a few fruitless searches of the interwebnet-thingy and a lot of people were saying "get a new monitor"!! Please try this (below) first, It might save you a couple of hundred quid!!

OK, I'll get to the point. I have a plasma tv (this may be the same for a LCD?) and XP on the pc. OK, first find your tv handbook. Go to the page that gives you pixel resolution and Hz frequency. In my case (Panasonic) this was set out in a useful table. Then, on the pc goto:

Control Panel/Display/Settings (IMPORTANT: first make a note of the settings you are working with so you can return to them once you've finished playing around with this!), then match up the settings with your tv handbook. To set the Hz then click:
Advanced/monitor and again set the Hz as suggested by your handbook.

Next is the scary bit. Obviously you will be doing this on your PC monitor and changing this will (may) make your monitor look different - as in - this could blow up the size of your icons and ... well the whole desk top really... so if that is the case - you can let the timer tick over and your previous settings will be restored. However, you will need to try again maybe some other settings suggested in your handbook and clicking "yes" to keep the new settings, before then wiring your new VGA cable into your tv. When you have the correct settings recognised by your tv then voila. You should be able to see your pc on your tv.

(By The Way) I have got a VGA splitter cable which meant I could see if any changes effected my tv as and when they occurred which meant i didn't have to keep changing between my pc monitor and the tv cable. This may be a useful investment if for example you would like to use the pc as normal but then have the cable already in place to watch films or iplayer etc? On demand tv is a breath of fresh air don't you think?

Good luck.

Iron Man 2 (2-Disc Special Edition) [DVD]
Iron Man 2 (2-Disc Special Edition) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jr Robert Downey

1.0 out of 5 stars If I see another freekin lazer!!, 6 May 2010
What a pile of old cat ****! Firstly, aren't you supposed to like the cast? I found it very difficult to like anyone in this film. Micky was pretty good (although not great as he has been since his renaissance) and Scarlett was hot, although not entirely believable in her sexy little agent role. And as for Iron Downey... I'm not sure if it was the script more so, but he really didn't do anything for the role (this time). The fast talking ping pong script kept me entertained for about half an hour and the plot for about 45 mins. After an hour a thick headache began to take hold of my underwhelmed head and I had to leave just after the relentless robot jet laser farce came to a thankful end.
(By the way) What the hell was going on with the black guy nicking the suit!!?? Isn't ironman powered by a circle energy thingy that he had glued into a hole in his chest (where I'm assuming his heart should be?!!) making the suit all but useless to anyone without it... hhhmmmm>>?? In summary... The plot wasn't entirely convincing (why did Mickey have to be Russian for fricksake?!) and I'm afraid a little predictable. Take an open mind and some nurofen to your seat.
Comment Comments (8) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 13, 2010 7:02 PM GMT

The Men Who Stare At Goats [Blu-ray] [2009]
The Men Who Stare At Goats [Blu-ray] [2009]
Dvd ~ Kevin Spacey

4.0 out of 5 stars Crazy has no limits., 23 Jan. 2010
This is without a shadow of a doubt the most outrageous film I've ever seen. The plot is thin and none of it really makes any sense. A load of old hippy ideas are thrown into a specialist branch of the army to investigate the strength of the mind over body theory....

The sequence of events that follows is barely believable. I have to say it was a great visual film with some beautifully shot sequences. Some of the gags were laugh out loud funny. The long and the short of it is - it may get you thinking,it may make you laugh but you'll definitely spend a long time talking about it afterwards. NB watching it drunk might enhance the experience.

Konk
Konk

4.0 out of 5 stars Make your own mind up......., 17 April 2008
This review is from: Konk (Audio CD)
Lets not let them NME music know-it-alls spoil our fun, but lets have a look at the album for what it is and not let the ridiculous music politics rule our entertainment.

This album is not all that bad - I understand that this is not a massive compliment, but I feel its truthful as I felt every track done well here is slightly counterbalanced by a lesser effort. It does what the Kooks do well, but I feel they have written this in the immense shadow that was their first album II/IO. There are a lot of songs here that are a bit Kooks by numbers (Namely "Stormy Weather" and "Down to the Market"), but when listening I always have the feeling they could be doing better - after listening to Konk try listening to "See the World" on their first album to see what I mean - this track didn`t even make it as a single for fricks sake!

I heard that Pritchard wants people to be blown away when they hear the singles on the radio. This would be a slightly rose tinted version of the singles, but there are definitely some gems here. Personally I loved the first 3 tracks and the slower "One Last Time" but I don't think many other tracks have that haymaker smack in the face of the first album (how did "Do You Wana?" even get on the album - the worst track they`ve written so far - should have been replaced with "Watching the Ships" from the bonus disk). Even so, I wish the boys well and once they get II/IO out of their system and spend some time watching some other live acts who can push them creatively (Franz?) and get them inspired - take them out of their comfort zone (whichever direction or style they may choose to digest) I feel their third could be something special. The boy Pritch definitely has talent - I mean he wrote Naïve when he was 15!!

Superbad (2 Disc Extended Edition) [2007] [DVD]
Superbad (2 Disc Extended Edition) [2007] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jonah Hill
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

1.0 out of 5 stars Super Rubbish (& other words), 14 April 2008
What are the people on about who say this is like the best film since american pie. No one over the age of 16 will find this funny. Ridiculously unbelievable plot line and zero funny. Way over hyped.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 21, 2010 4:14 PM BST

Ten Canoes [DVD]
Ten Canoes [DVD]
Dvd ~ Crusoe Kurddal

5.0 out of 5 stars History & Craft, 4 April 2008
This review is from: Ten Canoes [DVD] (DVD)
I watched this film not knowing a lot about the Aborigine people. I loved rabbit proof fence but I don't have any special interest in them if the truth be told. I saw the film on a nice quiet evening and the film begins with some beautifully shot views of an Australian swamp and it begins as if being told a story by an old tribesman.

I have never seen anything quite like it. It really does propel you backwards in time and is a fantastic snapshot of how Aborigines lived when they were living the traditional bushman's life. The story unfolds as it would have at a gentle pace and delivers on a number of levels (just don't expect any CGI or car chases). If you have an interest in culture or not the film is fascinating and is worthy of your time.

If you get a chance, watch the bonus material as it explains how and why the story has been told an helps to remind us of how these people have lived for years with traditions and values such as our own. Surely the world would be a greyer place without them.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3