Profile for M. Michael > Reviews

Content by M. Michael

M. Michael "mattmichael" (England)

Doctor Who - The Moonbase [DVD]
Doctor Who - The Moonbase [DVD]
Dvd ~ Patrick Troughton
Price: 10.00

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the classics, 17 Jan 2014
I loved the novel of this story when I was a child, but until this DVD I've never been able to get on with the TV episodes. Partly that's because they were first released as ropey VHS copies in the early 1990s with barely any attempt to contextualise the existing episodes 2 and 4. The audio CD is ok, but this is one of the first truly visual Doctor Who stories with armies of Cybermen marching across the moon, the TARDIS crew space walking and things lurching out of the shadows.
So it's a delight to say this DVD finally presents The Moonbase - one of the definitive Doctor Who stories - in full, and allowed me to appreciate it properly for the first time. This is the quintessential base under siege story, the story that defines the Patrick Troughton Doctor (it's here he first announces his crusade against the evils of the universe) and the story that redefines the Cybermen as metal space conquerors rather than the eerie plastic aliens of their first story.
I'm so grateful to the BBC for investing in animation that really brings the missing episodes 1 and 3 to life. This is one of the best animations yet, another leap forward from The Tenth Planet, and it's going to allow me to keep coming back to this story not just as a curio, but as crucial as The Invasion or The Tenth Planet.
I really can't recommend this DVD enough.

Coi Collection: Volume 4 - Stop! Look! Listen! [DVD]
Coi Collection: Volume 4 - Stop! Look! Listen! [DVD]
Dvd ~ Documentary
Offered by jim-exselecky
Price: 8.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Horror classic, 14 Jan 2011
I first saw Apaches on YouTube a few years ago and remember vividly the quite disturbing scene of one child screaming in agony due to poisoning followed by a jump cut to the mother clearing the now-dead child's bedroom. It's one of the bleakest films I have ever seen, and perfectly representative of the grotty 1970s British horror scene right down to the wintry, washed out film stock. It helps that the film is superbly directed and the special effects are briskly and graphically effective. A friend had to literally watch it through his fingers.

I bought the DVD for Apaches alone, but I also got a lot of almost-as-grim movies such as Lonely Water amd Don't Go With Strangers, plus a few fun fire prevention clips. A highly recommended release for British horror fans and anyone interested in our social history.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 23, 2011 7:55 PM GMT