Profile for A. Starling > Reviews

Content by A. Starling

A. Starling

South India (Lonely Planet Country & Regional Guides)
South India (Lonely Planet Country & Regional Guides)
by Sarina Singh

2.0 out of 5 stars Buy the rough guide?, 13 Feb 2010
As a long time fan of the rough guides, I bought a Lonely Planet for South India based on the reviews I read here. I was disappointed. It turns out to just be long lists of hotels, rather than containing any cultural information, or inciting me to visit any of these places. In this time of the interenet I find lists of hotels to be obsolete. It is not hard to find an interenet cafe whilst travelling and read reviews of hotels in the next place you're visiting, or to do this from home. (Since you are reading this online now I assume you have the internet) I had hoped the lonely planet would be useful for me as I travelled around south india, but find it lacking. I will now have to go and buy a rough guide to give me any sort of background to what I'm looking at, or ideas about where to go next. The way the guide is written is also quite odd. The advice is not very useful and mostly a mixture of common sense and long words. I do like to have a guide in my bag while I travel, but prefer ones with more information in them!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 31, 2010 11:29 AM BST