Profile for J. Alexander > Reviews

Content by J. Alexander

J. Alexander (Corby England)

inFamous (PS3)
inFamous (PS3)
Offered by Bridge_Records

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome would be more accurate..., 13 Jun. 2009
This review is from: inFamous (PS3) (Video Game)
Well, I've had this game for a week now, and the wait I've been enduring ever since I read about this about a year ago now has been worth it!

Thus far, the game is very well polished, graphics are great, the characters are moderately rounded to keep you interested in them, the gameplay is smooth and flows really well and the choice betweem good and evil is really quite cool, although it brings me onto my only major complaint.

The moral choice system is somewhat unbalanced. You earn experience points for powers as you progress, now, Good powers are somewhat underpowered and you get experience points for them really easily. The evil powers are very powerful, but you get very little experience points for them.
But, that one complaint is soon quashed when I remember that I can climb up ridiculous heights jump foreward, hover in the air for a few moments before plunging onto a train track, grinding along it before leaping off and hitting the floor with a massive shockwave. The sandbox stuff is really great, I've so far spent more time looking for the various collectables in the city and doing side missions as opposed to the main missions, but thats just my playing style.

So overall, 10/10 as it is just too much of a breath of fresh air for me to give it any less.

Overlord: Raising Hell (PS3)
Overlord: Raising Hell (PS3)

4.0 out of 5 stars Hell Raised, 10 May 2009
Now here's something that doesn't happen very often, a game where you are the bad guy. First explored (to my knowledge) by Destroy All Humans, and that was fun, in a madcap sandbox fun kind of way. But it's now fallen to the swords 'n' shields to repeat the same kind of success and levels of fun.
And thankfully, Overlord manages to do this.

Once you've finished the first few quests you recieve, the game really kicks in, with admitantly slightly clunky controls, (Having to hold L1 before you can rotate the camera gets annoying), but this is balanced out by the Minions. Minions are goblin like creatures, who do all of your tasks for you. Why should you, the big evil one have to do anything?
However, the minions are not without their faults. Brown ones are good in combat, but thats about it. Red ones don't have the best throw range and get annhilated in combat. Green ones are only really good if you can get them behind an enemy, and Blue ones are just pathetic. They can't do combat as they are weak, and they get annihilated in combat aswell. But I personally find that the gameplay issues are sort of balanced out by the humour scattered through out the game.

Overall, this game is a very good example of something new and different, but it is not without it's issues. I recommend this more to players of MMORPG's, as this game is a grindtastic sandwhich, with so many quests to do and for very little purpose. Also, the 'Good/Evil' idea needs more balance to it. You can be nice to people, or murder them. I'm just saying a bit of middle ground is nice.

Resistance : Fall of Man - essentials
Resistance : Fall of Man - essentials
Offered by smeikalbooks

5.0 out of 5 stars Fall of Man? Not a Chance!, 5 May 2009
When Resistance: Fall of Man was first released, I have to admit I wasn't that much interested, it just seemed like another Halo clone.
However, once I heard the Church was unhappy with the game, I went out of my way to buy it! And I'm glad I did!

This game is brilliant. Put simply.
The weapons are good, as they aren't just your usual machine gun, shotgun, melee and exotic thing that you never get ammo for and only use in boss fights anyway!
The most noteable gun is of course the Bullseye. This gun had the ability to fire a 'tag' onto your enemies which then allows the shots to home in on and get a guarenteed hit.
However, the only problem with the weapons is that once you have the aforementioned Bullseye, all you need is the Hedgehog Grenade and you're pretty much set for the rest of the game. You trip over Bullseye ammo wherever you go, and you never really need to use Hedgehog grenades, it's just alot of fun to use them.

The level design is good, although the enviroments do start to look samey. One Manchester street looks an awful lot like a Cheshire street.

Aside from thise two little bugbears, Resistance Fall of Man is a pretty exceptional game, and can beat Halo for awesomeness of weapons anyday. Plasma Sword? How about the Auger!?