Profile for hevra > Reviews

Life of Mammals
Life of Mammals
by David Attenborough

4.0 out of 5 stars It's a nostalgia thing, 12 Jan 2003
This review is from: Life of Mammals (Hardcover)
This book is the literature equivalent of tea and crumpets on a cold blustery dark winters night, snuggled in the front room fresh from the bath, awaiting wildlife programmes on the telly and dreading school the next morning. It's a pure nostalgia thing; the soothing tones of Attenborough lose nothing in print; some stunning photos and comfortable insights into the animal world. Buy this book.

A New Day At Midnight
A New Day At Midnight
Offered by Direct Entertainment UK
Price: 5.37

3.0 out of 5 stars Don't hate me, but...., 12 Jan 2003
This review is from: A New Day At Midnight (Audio CD)
What can I say? I wasn't sure whether to put a review on here or not, having read what the other guys put. I'll come straight to the point - this album is very disappointing. It's one of those you buy, and only listen to about 5 or 6 songs from. There are some absolute *gems* here; Dead in the Water is fantastic, especially with the new direction DG has using electronics. But the first notes of Caroline are enough to have me leaping, ninja style, to skip the track. Other than track 1, Real Love is ace, really stirring and some cracking lyrics, likewise with Knowhere. Then it goes a bit dodgy again, until the awe inspiring Be Mine, which is one of the best songs I have heard for a long time. Finally, the album rounds out with a solid couplet in Easy way to Cry and Other Side. So, would I recommend this album? Yes - because the songs mentioned are worthy of 15 themselves. But if I were you, I'd listen to the album from a free source before you decide to buy it/

The Shelters of Stone (Earth's Children)
The Shelters of Stone (Earth's Children)
by Jean M. Auel

3.0 out of 5 stars *Sigh*, 24 Aug 2002
Well, finally the next in the series gets published, and long suffering fans rush out to get a copy. I have to say I agree with the other reviews on here; such a long wait and yet we're all vaguely unsatisfied. It was while I was still in the 7th year at school that I read Clan of the Cave Bear, now having left university and got a job, I don't know whether it's growing up that's ruined this book for me, or the fact that nothing really seems to happen in it. We've see the development of the young girl from frightened orphan to death cursed young woman, read of her sojourn in a lonely valley and the growing relationship between her and a wounded man of the Others. The meeting with the Mamutoi and the trek across the plains to reach the Zelandonii; all of these are filled with action and very well written. Yet what should be on of the most interesting and important moments in Ayla's life is faintly boring and anti climactic. But then is anything going to live up to 12 years of hype?

The Bible : The Old Testament According To Spike Milligan :
The Bible : The Old Testament According To Spike Milligan :
by Spike Milligan
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: 6.29

4.0 out of 5 stars Never has being a Bible basher been so much fun....., 21 Jan 2002
Spike Milligan - mad, quite mad. Fortunately for us however, his insanity is hilarious, especially when taking a pop at the big guy himself. Yes, it's predictable, but there's nothing wrong with being predictable AND funny. A very entertaining read...