Profile for Mr. M. K. Gungaram-smith > Reviews

Content by Mr. M. K. Gung...

Mr. M. K. Gungaram-smith "MikeS" (East-Yorkshire, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Gioteck SC1 Wireless Control Pad (PS3)
Gioteck SC1 Wireless Control Pad (PS3)
Offered by Sophia's Trading Company

3.0 out of 5 stars comfortable, but I can't get all the extra features to work, 2 Jan. 2015
This is OK, I didn't read the small print when buying it and didn't realise I've have to plug a USB stick in to my PS3 to make this work. Also I can't seem to get the record actions buttons working correct, which is a shame.

On the positive side it is a comfortable controller to use and so far fairly happy with it

Ivation Digital Programmable Grilling / Barbecue Probe Thermometer with Taste Settings and Alarm - Never overcook your Meats and Poultry's again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works well, 2 Jan. 2015
An excellent little product for the price. This has got me through roasting 3 turkeys (two very large) over the Christmas period without problems, and for a change my turkeys haven't been dry. I love the alarm, and my mum loves that you can switch temperatures between C and F

Head First Design Patterns
Head First Design Patterns

2.0 out of 5 stars Wish I'd got the paperback version, 12 May 2014
I got this book to fill some gaps in my understanding of patterns, and whilst the book seems very good, I imagine if I'd got the paperback it would have got at least 4 stars, the kindle edition has been a bit of a struggle.

This book is excellently annotated by diagrams with handwritten notations and some interesting code snippets. However, whilst 'normal' text on my kindle can be zoomed in or out as required, the code snippets, the associated hand writing and nice images don't change size leaving many of the code snippets unreadable.

I really wish I'd bought the paperback version of this book!

Rii i10 Multifunction 2.4GHz RF Portable Mini Wireless Keyboard with Touchpad Mouse , Laser Pointer, Rechargable Li-ion Battery And Comfortable Silicone back Cover for for PC,Laptop,Raspberry PI 2, MacOS,Linux, HTPC, IPTV, google Android Smart TV Box ,XBMC,Windows 2000 XP Vista 7 8 10 , US Layout
Offered by AMPFLOW (VAT REGISTERED)

4.0 out of 5 stars Great little wireless keyboard, 17 Jan. 2014
This is an excellent little wireless keyboard!

They keys aren't too small and its easy to type on. OK I'm not writing a novel on it, just doing some internet searches on my smart tv. The mouse can be a little over sensitive at time, but in fairness I'm being lazy and not turning the sensitivity down in the tv settings.

I particularly love the way the wireless transmitter slots neatly in to the bottom of the keyboard for easy and safe transport when its not in use!

Kubik Evo 8GB MP3 Player with Radio and Expandable MicroSD/SDHC Slot - Black
Kubik Evo 8GB MP3 Player with Radio and Expandable MicroSD/SDHC Slot - Black
Offered by ARC UK

3.0 out of 5 stars Does what its supposed to, 3 Jan. 2014
I bought one of these as a first music player for my 5 year old boy. He loves it but struggles with the controls. I must admit that, as I'm used to iPod's and iPhones which have ultra slick user interfaces, I struggle a bit with the UI as well.

Overall, so far it seems like a solid product for the price, but it isn't always intuitive to use.

Octonauts Creature Report
Octonauts Creature Report
by Simon & Schuster UK

5.0 out of 5 stars My little Octonaut loves it, 3 Jan. 2014
My five year old absolutely loves this book!

It is great to read together as we both learn more about some of the oceans inhabitants we've watched in the tv show.

If I have a slight gripe, all the images of the creatures are from the show (ie cartoon) it might have been nice to have maybe one photograph of the 'real' creature, but I can understand why they've done it.

The book, print quality is glossy and excellent. If, like me you have an aspiring Octonaut then they will absolutely love this, and probably fuel an interest in marine biology as well.

Chosen: An Alex Verus Novel
Chosen: An Alex Verus Novel

5.0 out of 5 stars A slight change in direction?, 17 Sept. 2013
One of the things that has hit me about books in the urban fantasy market is that, though the protagonist has a dark past, they really are a deep down nice guy, and so it has been with this series as well. Up to now. However, without wanting to give too much away, the central character takes a somewhat darker route to solve his problems in this book, introducing a thousand shades of grey into the mix.

For me this is a welcome change and marks this series, for want of a better phrase 'growing up'. I only wonder now if Alex can keep my sympathies in future novels now I know, rather than suspect, what he's capable of!

As you can tell though from the 5 star review I loved it, and while I found the earlier books entertaining, this is where the series has come to life for me.

Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, The Complete Series 2 [DVD]
Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, The Complete Series 2 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Tatsuya Ishihara

4.0 out of 5 stars Nearly always a lot of fun!, 30 May 2012
Actually, in some ways this series is better than the first season!

You build far more empathy with some of the characters, especially Yuki, who in the first series is cold now starts to come across as more vulnerable, and even a bit lonely, and Haruhi herself who in season 1 could come across as little more than a bully.

The big sticking point is the Endless Eight which, overall I loved, but it did go on a few episodes too long. Though it wouldn't have sounded as good the endless four or five would have been more bearable. It gives a far deeper understanding of Yuki, and you can feel the character start to change very slightly (which may or may not be relevant at some point in the future). The real tragedy of it using eight episodes though is that is stops them telling other stories in such a short series.

It all leads very well in to the movie (The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya, which is excellent by the way!), here's hoping for a series 3 or another feature length movie.

The Melancholy Of Haruhi Suzumiya: Complete Season One- Anime Legends [DVD]
The Melancholy Of Haruhi Suzumiya: Complete Season One- Anime Legends [DVD]
Dvd ~ Tatsuya Ishihara

4.0 out of 5 stars Quirky Anime, 23 May 2012
I won't go in to the story line, others on here have done that!

I watched this series on the strength of the feature length The Disappearance Of Haruhi Suzumiya which I think is one of the best anime movies I have seen! The startling thing is I think I'd have enjoyed it even more if I'd seen this first.

The episodes can be a little confusing at times but overall its a lot of fun.

I Am Legend [Blu-ray] [2007] [Region Free]
I Am Legend [Blu-ray] [2007] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Will Smith
Offered by Champion Toys

3.0 out of 5 stars I've got a problem with this movie... I read the book first, 10 Mar. 2008
About 3 years ago someone recommended I read the book "I am Legend" by Richard Matheson.

I read it and was gripped by the plot and the relevance of the name to the twist in the story at the end. If you've read the book you'll probably accept that the ending to this film bares more resemblance to an earlier movie adaption of the same book, under the name of "The Omega Man" (starring Charlton Heston as Robert Neville), than the book. Whilst the movie does work for me on some levels, and I enjoyed it as a movie in its right I was left with an empty, disappointed feeling that they felt the need to make the end far less bleak and, for want of a better word, Hollywood-ise it, by removing... well the real meaning to the movies name. I won't give it away! If you haven't read it, read the book!

That's not to say this film is bad! It's just a disappointment! For me a major pro was that, for the most part Will Smith managed to pull off playing Neville, something I was unsure he would manage, a role with no wise-cracking, and whilst it would have been nice to see him face the nightly taunts of the infected as he did in the book, or the slow build up and desperation for friendship in his relationship with the dog (in the movie called Sam and their from the start), I can certainly imagine how a movie might fail to capture, certainly the latter of those!

Overall... OK but it should have stuck to the book more for a grittier story!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 5, 2009 9:10 PM GMT