Profile for Ellen Prothero > Reviews

Content by Ellen Prothero

Ellen Prothero (Swansea, wales)

Heartbreak Hotel
Heartbreak Hotel

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing experience, 12 May 2013
This review is from: Heartbreak Hotel (Kindle Edition)
Having read articles in newspapers about Deborah Moggach, I felt sure I was going to enjoy this book, but it proved to be so disappointing. It was an amusing read, but it introduced far too many characters, many of whom were abandoned at various points in the story just as I was getting to know them. Sometimes the writing was very lazy and cliched (for instance, women's eyes always 'glittered' with tears). Moreover, the structure of the novel was weak and failed to hang together. In its favour, I have to say that I stuck with it to the end, which I no longer do if I'm not appreciating a book (life's too short). However, when I did get to the end, I felt terribly let down.

Tigers in Red Weather
Tigers in Red Weather

1.0 out of 5 stars Trivial nonsense, 21 Mar. 2013
Now that I am in my 70th year to heaven, I have made it a rule not to waste what little time is left to me on books that do not grab me in the first 32 pages. I'm afraid this fell into that category. Klaussman could do with taking a few tips from Anne Tyler, Jane Austin and Elizabeth Taylor in writing about day-to-day life in a way that captures the reader.

The Plot Against America
The Plot Against America

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Roth, 21 Mar. 2013
Firts and foremost, just reading anything by Philip Roth is a treat - he is such a brilliant writer. Secondly, although I am not Jewish and deplore what's happening to the Palestinian people, this book made me appreciate how the Jewish people have suffered in America. Thirdly, it made me more interested in researching the politics of America during the second WW, as i have seen it only really from the British viewpoint.
I thoroughly recommend this book.

The Mikado, or, the Town of Titipu (Facsimile edition)
The Mikado, or, the Town of Titipu (Facsimile edition)
by Sir W.S. Gilbert

5.0 out of 5 stars The Mikado libretto, 21 Mar. 2013
Having recently been to see Jonathon Miller's production of The Mikado in the Colliseum, London (and been very disappointed because I could hardly hear a word) I was anxious to know what I had missed - as I knew how important and how witty the words are in G&S. I was delighted with my copy - not only was I able to enjoy the story, but I loved the illustrations, which were beautiful and showed the colourful costumes of a theatrical Japan. It reaffirmed my feeling that changing the setting from Japan of old to an English seaside resort in the twenties/ thirties was completely illogical, not to say bonkers. I shall cherish this beautiful copy and hope to see a superior production of The Mikado in future. If I do, I shall be sure to take my little libretto with me.

One Shot (Jack Reacher, Book 9)
One Shot (Jack Reacher, Book 9)

5.0 out of 5 stars The genius that is Jack Reacher..., 6 Mar. 2013
...and the genius that is Lee Child. This book has everything - a gripping plot, strong characters that you can see clearly in the mind's eye, brilliant dialogue that jumps off the page and intelligent, pacy writing. The writing style is fluent and feels effortless. It juxtaposes brief, punchy sentences with longer descriptive pieces in a way that seems natural and unforced. It gives you the tiniest details without in any way seeming pedantic or - heaven forbid - boring. You just feel that you are there with Reacher, seeing what he's seeing, feeling what he's feeling. I have read almost all of Lee Child's Reacher books and never feel let down. Trouble is, I enjoy them so much that I race through them and get to the end too quickly.
I am reading 'One Shot' for the second time, something I very rarely do (the last book I read twice was 'David Copperfield') - mainly after seeing the Tom Cruise film, and I enjoyed the book again just as much. I quite enjoyed the film too, but I have to say - Tom Cruise is NOT Jack Reacher. All you readers out there - if you haven't read Lee Child yet, I envy you - you have a great treat ahead of you.

Two Evils
Two Evils
by P. J. Tracy

4.0 out of 5 stars PJTracy's most recent book, 14 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Two Evils (Hardcover)
I enjoyed this book - it was well written, pacy, exciting, with good dialogue, but it wasn't quite as good as PJ Tracy's previous books, to which I would have awarded 5 stars in all cases.
The familiar characters are still there, but maybe not as involved as before. I suppose it must be difficult to do that. New, well-rounded characters were introduced and there was a great twist right at the end, which is always a bonus.
I still look forward to more books from this excellent partnership.

Brushback (Mario Balzic Novel)
Brushback (Mario Balzic Novel)
by K. C. Constantine

4.0 out of 5 stars A novel experience, 14 Feb. 2013
I ordered this book on the recommendation of Stephen King - he wrote about it in glowing terms in the post-script to 'From a Buick 8'. He likened it to The Sopranos, but from the point of view of the law. It was quite unusual in that it consisted mainly of dialogue (brilliant - it flew off the page, you could just hear it). It tells the story of the killing of a famous baseball player, murdered by a baseball bat. The detective in charge of the investigation is in charge temporarily while his superiors appoint a new chief. Alongside his efforts to solve the crime, he is beset by the problems of daily life (a mother who seems to be slipping into dementia/ heavy snow and ice causing accidents, etc) and long dialogues ensue (pages long) - which in a less skilfull writer would be irritating and get in the way of the story, but I found it all entertaining, and often funny.
My only gripe is that there were no chapters - just one long piece of writing. And I do like chapters. In fact, I don't think I've ever read a book that didn't have chapters before. In this respect, I favour Dickens, because his chapters are all about the same length (I know there was a good reason, but still...) One thing to add is that the book I received was in excellent condition - had a great cover and contained a nice bookmark. Very much appreciated all round,

The Kate Greenaway Doll Book
The Kate Greenaway Doll Book
by Valerie Janitch

5.0 out of 5 stars The Kate Greenaway Doll Book, 8 Jun. 2009
This book gives comprehensive instructions for anyone who wants to make a doll in the style of Kate Greenaway's delightful illustrations. Not only does the book give instructions for an extensive wardrobe of Victorian outfits, but also a furnished setting in which the doll can make herself at home - for example, a pretty four-poster bed, armchairs and sofa, all made from recycled cardboard boxes.
The raw beginner may find it a challenging proposition, but it is well worth sticking at. The author leaves no stone unturned in providing useful tips, from lists of stockists, to techniques, even to guidance on how to price the dolls if you want to sell them.
Thoroughly recommended.