Profile for A. Crabtree > Reviews

Content by A. Crabtree

A. Crabtree (Lancashire UK)

Morphy Richards Power Steam Elite 42221 Pressurised Steam Generator with Ceramic Soleplate - Black
Offered by Hughes Direct

1.0 out of 5 stars Good iron but bad design means constant washer replacement, 20 Nov 2014
I was wary about spending £85 on an iron (I think the rrp was considerably more but it was on offer at the time so I thought it was a bargain) but when I began to use it I was delighted with its performance. It takes a little while to heat up and rather annoying that even though I live in an area of exceptionally soft water the light still comes on to tell me it needs descaling. The first time this happened I followed the instructions but the boiler began to leak profusely when I turned it on. Having allowed it to cool down again I investigated and found that the rubber ring on the boiler nut had perished causing the leak. I emailed Morphy Richards requesting a replacement washer but they actually sent the boiler nut and washer. This occurred in August, just 6 months after I bought the iron but I hoped the new nut would solve the problem. Unfortunately in April 2014 the same problem occurred again and again I emailed Morphy Richards and again they sent out another replacement nut and washer. Last week I was faced with yet another perished washer so I repeated the process. Morphy Richards were extremely unhelpful and told me I would now have to buy a replacement nut at a price of £7. I am a woman of mature years and have had very many steam irons in my life and all have lasted much longer than 18 months without any problems so I am very disappointed with Morphy Richards’ customer service. I then read several reviews of the product on Amazon and found that I am not alone in experiencing this problem which makes the manufacturer’s response even more annoying but I took heart from other customers’ experience and told Amazon of my difficulty and immediately they dispatched a replacement. Amazon’s customer service was excellent and more than met my needs. I only hope that the replacement iron does not suffer from the same perishing washer especially as the retail price has now risen considerably since I first purchased the item.

Bananagrams Game
Bananagrams Game
Offered by Lovely Gifts

5.0 out of 5 stars Bananagram by candle light., 29 Sep 2008
This review is from: Bananagrams Game (Toy)
I bought this on the strength of its reviews to take on holiday. My husband, who hates playing games, felt compelled to offer our daughter assistance when she played with me and was hooked. All 4 of us played many times during the holiday and it saved the day when we had a power cut. You can't read by candle light but you can still play Bananagram! A fantastic idea and the letter tiles are very pleasing to handle. An all round winner.