Profile for Bill C Martin > Reviews

Content by Bill C Martin

Bill C Martin "billcmartin" (Doncaster, England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Acrylic Poster Menu Holder Perspex Leaflet Display Stands A3 A4 A5 A6 A7 A8 & A9 (10, A9)
Offered by CompleteShopfittings

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb and Practical Product, 9 April 2016
Superb product. I'm using it to display labels showing the names of chocolates in a chocolate cabinet. The label card slides easily into the holder, which is protected by the Perspex from getting grubby or damaged. This means the label doesn't need to be laminated.

The product is also very easy to keep clean. Being of clear Perspex it is design-neutral so the customers' eyes are focussed on the design and content of the label inside, rather than on the holder itself.

Finally, the base of the holder is angled backwards, which means it can fit underneath the tray whose contents I've labelled. The A9 size is large enough to be able to label the product using a large enough font, but the height of the holder doesn't obscure the product behind it.

Apple 2 m 8 Pin Lightning To USB Cable for iPhone 6S/6S Plus - No retail packaging
Offered by PremiumHPG

1.0 out of 5 stars Is this really an Apple product?, 3 Mar. 2016
Bought this as it's listed as an Apple cable and it was so convenient to buy this on Amazon, instead of heading to my local Apple store. Unfortunately it charges at less than half the speed of my other genuine Apple cables. I've bought Apple products since the early 1980s and I've never had any product from them that doesn't work properly so I'm really surprised to get one that performs so poorly. I'm wondering if this is a product FOR Apple devices, rather than a product MADE BY Apple. The product description is at best ambiguous on that.

Bose ® CineMate 15 Home Cinema Soundbar Speaker System - Black
Bose ® CineMate 15 Home Cinema Soundbar Speaker System - Black

4.0 out of 5 stars The power and clarity that I just couldn't get from budget soundbars, 31 Jan. 2016
I wanted to improve the sound of my otherwise excellent Samsung Smart HD TV, by adding a soundbar. I listened to quite a few and was disappointed that, for the budget I'd originally planned to spend, all the soundbars in my price bracket had shortcomings that made my planned purchase pointless.

So I thought I'd check out the much privies Bose CineMate 15, as it had received pretty good reviews. I thought this might at least give me a way to compare the budget soundbars with something better.

As soon as I heard the CineMate 15 I noticed its crystal-clear highs, warm middles and detailed, sumptuous bass. This really was on a completely different level of sound quality. The only drawback was that it is not wireless, so, to play music from a mobile device I will need to connect my iPad's headphone socket to the phono inputs on the unit, or connect my Apple TV unit to it.

It seemed apparent that, for the sound quality that would make any soundbar purchase worthwhile for me (an ex-pro musician who likes power and clarity throughout the audio range) the CineMate 15 was the only thing I'd heard that came close. So that long weekend away won't be happening now! Instead the funds were diverted to this!

The TV is in a large breakfast room/kitchen, where we spend a lot of time. It is wall-mounted, posing the first problem. The CineMate 15 isn't wall-mountable. Since the soundbar part is very light I knew my wall mount could take it as well as our smallish TV. I'd already bought a soundbar wall bracket and attached two of the arms to the bolt holes at the back of the TV and attached a 90° metal 40 x 40mm angle bracket (the kind B&Q sell for joining wood) to each of those. I secured the soundbar to the brackets with two long, black cable ties, which are virtually undetectable.

The result is visually and aurally incredible! Surround sound was never the point in this room, where we may be listening or watching from the breakfast room or from the kitchen areas. To get the result I'd wanted I'd seriously underestimated the budget. But I'm so glad though that I didn't blow that original £250 on something that would ultimately only disappoint. It was a good decision to spend more and end up with a sound that is truly wonderful.

Gillette Fusion ProGlide Men's Razor Blades - 8 Blades
Gillette Fusion ProGlide Men's Razor Blades - 8 Blades

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but ridiculously expensive, 17 Sept. 2015
Blades work well but extortionately expensive. In view of the high cost I'm extending the life of the blades by using a dash of Apothecary 87's Smooth Moving Shave Oil, on my face and on the blades themselves. Works a treat.

Ex Machina [Blu-ray] [2015]
Ex Machina [Blu-ray] [2015]
Dvd ~ Domhnall Gleeson

4.0 out of 5 stars Good film. Poor ending, 9 Jun. 2015
A very well conceived and executed film, full of tension and misdirects our attention with great skill. I won't spoil it for you but I enjoyed it right until the end, when something made no sense to me and wasn't explained in the film. I suspect this is the way the film was edited but whatever was cut out left the end disconnected from the logic of the rest of the film, in my opinion.

I wouldn't let that stop you watching it though. There's lots in it that's extremely worth your time: the casting, the way they created the AI woman, most of the story, the lighting and set. The music had its moments. It helped drive the tension and the soundtrack was refreshingly not as obviously derivative as so many other films are these days.

Certainly worth a go!

When Zebras Discover Motorbikes: How to influence people, situations and results.

5.0 out of 5 stars What Will You Discover?, 9 Jun. 2015
In the story that begins the book, zebras have discovered motorbikes but the lions don't know how to deal with it. It's a great analogy for how the world of work has changed in the 21st century. Through it, and his working out of the themes that arise from the story, Jonathan Frost will help you see your own challenges from new perspectives.

The thing is that it's so easy to get into habits in our work. After all, doing things almost automatically can save us a lot of time and energy and free us up to focus on other things. But when the world around us changes and we don't notice, those habits can not only be counter-productive but also damaging.

The truth is: the 21st century isn't like the 20th - and in so many ways. How often do you feel that certain tactics, which have worked in the past, seem to work less effectively now, but you still keep doing them? Repeating things that are no longer effective is unlikely to give us a different result! A different result may require a different approach. That's why I recommend 'When Zebras Discover Motorbikes'. It will help you check what's changed in your world and make you think about how well your business thinking and tactics match the changed situation. Having read it I'll certainly be dipping regularly into it for reminders.

B.U.L ® Mens Extreme Hot Thermal Underwear Full Sleeve Vest Suitable for Winter, Outdoor Work, Travel, Camping & Ski Wear Size S-XL (Xlarge, Blue)
Offered by CLASSIQUE FASHIONS

5.0 out of 5 stars Warm Long-Sleeved Tee for Bikers, 9 Jun. 2015
Does the job nicely without being too bulky.

AYALA Brut Majeur NV Champagne 75cl Bottle
AYALA Brut Majeur NV Champagne 75cl Bottle
Offered by Saxtys Wines

5.0 out of 5 stars Recommended fizz, 20 Mar. 2015
Superb fizz for a special occasion. We last had this 30 years ago and this one didn't disappoint. May have to find a pretext to get another one!

B.U.L ® Mens Extreme Hot Thermal Underwear Short Sleeve Vest Suitable for Winter, Outdoor Work, Travel, Camping & Ski Wear Size S-XL (XLarge, Black)
Offered by CLASSIQUE FASHIONS

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 23 Feb. 2015
Nice and comfy - and warm, too. Will probably get a few more.

FileMaker Pro 13: The Missing Manual (Missing Manuals)
FileMaker Pro 13: The Missing Manual (Missing Manuals)

5.0 out of 5 stars Just the help I needed, 10 Feb. 2015
Well written, practical, accessible and extremely useful. As someone who has built databases, on and off, over the years, but who is relatively new to Filemaker Pro, I guess I'm an intermediate at databases but have lots of gaps as FileMaker Pro 13 user. So I needed some direction to turn educated guesses out how best to build my current database into certainties. 'FileMaker Pro 13: The Missing Manual' is certainly doing that for me, and more.

Having read through the book once (quite quickly) I'm now finding I can use it as a reference tool to refer back to things I need to check on. For example this has included finding the best way to present data on a single form from different tables, or how to set it up so the database can be used on an iPad in FileMaker Go.

Highly recommended.