Profile for Simon Nixon > Reviews

Content by Simon Nixon

Simon Nixon (Birmingham UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-15
X-Ray Blues
X-Ray Blues

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting Blues, 26 Sep 2013
This review is from: X-Ray Blues (MP3 Download)
First of all, I had to listen very carefully to the male vocal, are you sure it wasn't Tom Jones? This is the first time I have listened to this German Blues Band, there is very good guitar and they sound a good tight blues unit. Some tracks stand out, 'Big legged Woman' for one classic electric blues track, 'If only I Could' takes us back to blues basics being gentle, soulful and melodic. This was followed by 'The Mirror' a more upbeat rocky number. I also liked 'A Little bit of That' this lightens up the album being more of a bit of fun with humorous lyrics. I think the bands cover of the classic Peter Green's Mac standard 'Albatross' is very brave, but I was not sure why 'Summertime' was only one minute long I had just started getting into this track when it finished. Overall an album well worth listening to.

Reconceptualising Feedback in Higher Education: Developing dialogue with students
by Stephen Merry

5.0 out of 5 stars Re-thinking your feedback, 24 Sep 2013
This book has had quite an impact upon my practice and has made me reconsider the ways that I deliver feedback to students. Feedback is always an issue that is raised by students and defended by lecturers like me saying that often it isn't collected or acted upon. It has also always been a problem, in my opinion, to decide what we need to tell the students but recently with the National Union of Students getting involved it has become a hot topic in Higher Education. This book has not got all the answers but it does come up with a number of suggestions and reasons why. This is a very good book for both the experienced and not so experienced lecturer. It starts at the ground level and moves steadily up to issues around 'institutional change’ and organisational attitudes to feedback a little gem!

Why Your Five Year Old Could Not Have Done That: Modern Art Explained
Why Your Five Year Old Could Not Have Done That: Modern Art Explained
by Susie Hodge

4.0 out of 5 stars Its a start!, 23 Sep 2013
This little book tries to explain what it's all about. It gives a succinct couple of pages about the artist and their selected piece of work. It is though no substitute for getting to the gallery and looking. Art is very subjective (an obvious statement) and I do think that sometimes we over analyse and rationalise it. Good background stuff and some interesting insights into the artists of today.

Black Wind Howlin'
Black Wind Howlin'

5.0 out of 5 stars Stylish Blues, 18 Sep 2013
This review is from: Black Wind Howlin' (MP3 Download)
Samantha Fish was labelled with the 'girls with guitars label' this album proves she is so much more than this. All tracks are excellent and move through the various sub-genres of blues. I think this is a clever album it starts with a good track 'Miles to go' which pulls you into both the music and the vocals and then takes you on a journey. Tracks that I think need a mention are 'over you' a soulful piece of blues, 'let's have some fun' a raunchy vocal mixed with some excellent guitar work, the title track 'black wind howling' which is a slightly slower rock blues combination with an excellent of song and music followed by a final much lighter piece of work titled 'last September' where you are brought back through a blues country combination. A very good listen highly recommended.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 26, 2013 9:40 AM BST

Russell Hobbs 14178 Travel Kettle with Boil Dry Protection
Russell Hobbs 14178 Travel Kettle with Boil Dry Protection

4.0 out of 5 stars Tea in a far away place, 6 Sep 2013
This is as you would expect an efficient piece of kit to boil water, you turn it on it boils and it turns itself off. I was not impressed with the plastic cups, which come with it, they are cheap and nasty. This item was also a little larger than I expected if you are restricted by luggage weight and size be aware of this. Also if it's a travel kettle why has it not got an adaptor with it? Just an idea! Its a robust item which travels well.

Watching the English: The Hidden Rules of English Behaviour
Watching the English: The Hidden Rules of English Behaviour
by Kate Fox

5.0 out of 5 stars Where is the second edition?, 4 Sep 2013
I have now read this book a couple of times and I think that it cries out to be updated, not because there is anything wrong with it but because there have been a number of changes to our culture. Kate makes a number of references to the mobile phone and its use but this was 8 years ago and how have the 'English' coped with the introduction of the i-pad? In addition these is the demise of the pub because of the current austerity measures. This book is well written with a little English humour, I like the way it refers to Paxman and Bryson taking the middle ground? Wouldn't it be wonderful if all three got around the table to debate the rules of English behaviour? Anthropology for the masses!

Made Up Mind
Made Up Mind

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent album, 2 Sep 2013
This review is from: Made Up Mind (Audio CD)
Trucks & Tedeschi meet and we have blues meets the big band sound with a little bit of country thrown in for good measure. All the tracks on this album (CD) are exceptional there is some soulful singing 'Idle Wind' and more up-tempo tracks such as 'The Storm' and 'All that I need' but the best is the title track. This cd is very well produced and has been worth the wait. An exceptional cd!

The Collection [Standard Edition]
The Collection [Standard Edition]

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Offering, 20 Aug 2013
This is a very good collection of what Alanis suggests is her best work, it is certainly an emotionally charged collection of a very good vocalist. A number of tracks which I think stand out are, 'Thank You', the timeless classic 'Head Over Feet' and the 'new' single 'Crazy'. However there is not a bad track on this collection and it demonstrates / showcases the full range of this singer song writers talents. An excellent CD at a very good price.

The Meaning of Careful: How Putting People Before Process Will Deliver Outstanding Results and Transform Our Healthcare
by Dr. D. J. Brown

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Principles, 14 Aug 2013
This little book is well written and easy to understand, it offers some ideas on how we can improve the quality of care 'customer service ' in the NHS but a number of the suggestions can be transferred into all organisations. It makes a number of assumptions about health and I am not sure that all of these can be justified. The author argues that we can measure care, I think that in light of recent events (Francis Report), the emphasis is moving towards listening to the voice of the patient and their relatives, however a number of the recommendations made by Dr Brown are sound and good basic generic management and / or leadership principles and I fully endorse that more training should be given to managers and people who are responsible for the delivery of care. Overall an interesting little book that will enhance care but I fear will not totally solve the problems that face the NHS.

If The River Was Whiskey
If The River Was Whiskey

4.0 out of 5 stars Bourbon Blues?, 8 Aug 2013
I don't think I have ever listened to the Spin Doctors before, so I am blissfully unaware of what they have done in the past. This is a very good blues album! You can smell the whiskey as you work your way through the 10 tracks all of which are of high quality. Ones that particularly need a mention are the title track 'If the river was whiskey' which is a typical southern USA blues number the sort of thing that Lynyrd Skynyrd used to do so well in the past. 'Sweetest Portion' is a much more melodic lighter track, 'The Drop' is what I would term as heavy blues and also requiring high praise is 'Scotch and Water Blues'. You can smell the whiskey, sweat and the bar in this album; I am going to have a look at what else this band has done.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-15