Profile for Mike the Mason > Reviews

Content by Mike the Mason

Mike the Mason (Lincoln, UK)

Andrew James 28cm Cast Aluminum Griddle Pan - Suitable For All Types Of Hobs Including Induction
Offered by Andrew James UK LTD
Price: 28.95

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor quality, 4 Aug 2012
The handle attaches to the pan with a single nut and bolt. The ones supplied were too small to hold the handle on securely and kept coming loose.

I was only able to get galvanised nuts and bolt to replace these which began to rust. I finally found a stainless steel replacement but by this time the bolt was stuck. I have just spent the last hour trying to get the bolt out which has resulted in a broken handle and a pan I cannot use.

Admittedly I was the one who put on the galvanized nuts and bolt although I couldn't say whether the original was stainless steel or not. However, for a few pennies more the manufacturer could have supplied decent quality fittings themselves.

The pan itself is fine to use but the way the handle attaches isn't very good or robust and because if this I'm not sure how safe it is.

It's going in the bin and I feel like I've wasted my time and money.

Mens Classic Hooded Hoodie Sweatshirts By MIG Sizes XS to 4XL - In 20 Colours - SPORTS WORK LEISURE
Offered by sakclothing
Price: 9.95 - 12.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Uneek, 16 Feb 2012
The brand is Uneek classic which I've had before from another seller.

Not 'premium' quality (slight tendency to pill) but half the price of other branded (Nike) sports wear.

The best thing for me is that these (Uneek) tops are properly sized. Ordering clothes off the internet can be a bit of a gamble with different manufacturers having different ideas about what constitutes "large" and I've bought a cheap hoodie before from eBay which was supposed to be 3XL and I could barely get it over my head. I got this top in 4XL and it is massive (even on me) and so is perfect for mooching about the house and watching TV. Now I know what brand this is and how they are sized I'm ordering three more 3XL tops - ideal for sports or outdoor work, warm and well constructed.

Slight tendency to pill as observed from my older hoodie of the same make but even so I think this is a good product for the price and other manufacturers (Gildan, Fruit of the Loom etc) only go up to 2XL so I am happily buying more of these.

Flu
Flu
by Wayne Simmons
Price: 6.39

2.0 out of 5 stars Unsatisfying, unbelievable, un-frightening,, 16 Feb 2011
This review is from: Flu (Paperback)
Really not very good.

One reviewer has called this a "character driven zombie novel". In the absence of a plot this is kind of true but those characters include the tortured ex-IRA man, the tortured alcoholic ex-Major, the Good Cop who grows edgy, the (illiterate) Bad Cop who has an epiphany, the Good Girl who turns a bit nuts, the Bad Girl who has a heart of gold, the (tattooed - see author photo) Bad Boy Hero, the Bad Boy Hero's mate who's a bit of a coward and the evil military Doctor who likes to experiment on living specimens (human and un-dead) in his secret military base. So plenty of stereotypes but not much sense.

None of the characters seem that interested in what's going on so we are left wondering if this is localised or a world wide plague and there's no plan for finding a safe haven.

The military are utterly hopeless and just seem to disappear into an alcoholic fug. No mention of any sort of Government action.

The characters are barely more realistically human than the zombies, and they aren't even that bright. Pat wants to try to kill a zombie so he lures one into his building and fortunately manages to kill it by shooting it in the head (surprise). Rather than just stepping outside and having a pop. And despite contact with contaminated blood meaning almost certain infection the good guys can just stand in front of a zombie, blasting away without getting covered in blood except on occasion having to spit out some airborne body part but that doesn't seem to matter. And the access to ammunition is bizarre.

The zombies themselves aren't particularly frightening and the Bad Boy Hero manages to avoid being caught on the way to find fuel by jogging through a crowd of them. In that case, how have the military had any problem dealing with them? Because they're all drunk, of course...

An easy read that's ultimately unsatisfying, unbelievable, not even slightly scary, full of stereotypes, based on poor b-movie ideas written by someone who doesn't seem that widely read in any genre. I feel the main thing lacking in this story was a decent editor - one who could have cropped a couple of characters and added some plot, tension and pace. It's because it's so unbelievable that it isn't scary which makes a zombie novel really pretty pointless.

Core Strength For Dummies
Core Strength For Dummies
by LaReine Chabut
Price: 11.87

1.0 out of 5 stars Not recommended., 23 May 2010
First sixty pages suggest why we should exercise our cores - already bought the book so seems pointless to have this self promotion from the author except that she gets to mention a couple of other books she's written.

Basic errors with descriptions and picture numbers not corresponding, descriptions of the plank where you lift off your elbows and the picture showing the model in the press up position.

Exercise description and pictures often not on the same page which makes it difficult to follow.

Instead of a list of different exercises each chapter is a plan so a lot of the exercise descriptions are repeated and with the same errors.

The information you want is probably all in there (at 338 pages) but this book is poorly planned and poorly executed and probably 200 pages longer than it needed to be.

Magic: New Stories
Magic: New Stories
by J.K. Rowling

4.0 out of 5 stars Not for children., 29 Sep 2009
This review is from: Magic: New Stories (Paperback)
I've only read 8 of the 18 stories so far but felt it worth a word of warning. These are not stories abut magic in a JKR vein but modern, serious, literary, short stories some of which contain strong language. O.K. one was about witches, and one's about a bra fitter which is quite touching, and the one about the man who disappears starts out funny in a Terry Pratchett kind of way but ends up in socio-political moralising. But Flamenco is purely style over content and the first story is about a child who can't read who kills his new born sister. Then there's the one about a woman who gives birth to a fox which is about a mother's love. Plus there's a lot of effin' swearing.

Why this is for sale alongside Fantastic Beasts and The Tales of Beedle The Bard is a mystery and totally inappropriate.

However, if you like this sort of thing the stories aren't bad. But don't get it as a stocking filler for a ten year old.

Quies Ear Plugs 16
Quies Ear Plugs 16
Offered by Pharmacy Place
Price: 4.60

5.0 out of 5 stars Life savers., 27 Feb 2009
This review is from: Quies Ear Plugs 16 (Personal Care)
I use these when on holiday with my Dad. My Mum won't fly after a minor plane crash a few years ago so I get to look after the old man when he wants to go to Africa and in a few weeks the Galapagos. These are quite pricy trips and I have yet to convince him to shell out for single accommodation for me so we have to share a room/tent/cabin.

Everyone has a claim to knowing someone who snores terribly but my Dad really is the worst person in the world and I have come close to patricide. Just put the pillow over his face and press down......

Bit harsh.

Anyway, you take the cotton off these things, squidge them about for a couple of minutes until soft, mould them into a cone shape and jam them in. You have to get them quite soft and really push them in a bit and squidge them in a bit more to seal off your ears and then you can barely hear a thing. I've tried foam and rubber earplugs before but can never get them to fit well enough and they always fall out. These wax ones are great because they fit to your individual ear. They do fall out sometimes so you have to work on a technique to getting them to stay in but they are a hundred times better than the foam ones I've tried. You really want fresh ones each night so a box of 14 will last a week.

I've never had a problem getting these out in the morning. You just have to get a fingernail into them and basically claw them out. They don't fall apart so I've never worried about getting bits lodged in there. I always try to make sure my ears are fairly clean of natural wax because you could end up compacting that into your ear but otherwise you just make sure these are really soft before you push them in.

As ever doctors will tell you to never put anything into your ear smaller than your elbow and you should be aware that sticking anything in your ear may cause damage but I've used these loads of times and never had a problem, you just have to get them soft before your stick them in. So to speak.

If you are happy with sticking things in your ears against strict medical advice then I can recommend these and I would never travel with my Dad without them. We're also taking some for the people in the next cabin.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 16, 2014 1:21 PM BST

Horwood Teapot 1.25Lt with Phenolic Handles
Horwood Teapot 1.25Lt with Phenolic Handles
Offered by Emporium Cookshop & Homewares
Price: 18.70

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent pot., 16 Feb 2009
Nice stable bottom.

Will do just over four medium-large sized mugs so probably around five cups.

Would have to strain if using loose tea as no infuser and doesn't have a `ledge' where you could fit one. Great for bagged tea though.

Drip-free claim spot on.

Handles don't get hot.

Looks cool.

Great as a larger teapot for when you have friends around. If you're planning on a leisurely breakfast you'd need a cosy as it isn't insulated but it isn't advertised as being so.

Very good addition to any teapot collection.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 12, 2009 7:58 PM GMT

Shinkansen 'Water' Sharpener - Black and Red
Shinkansen 'Water' Sharpener - Black and Red
Offered by EasihomeCookshop
Price: 26.60

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for Global knives., 16 Feb 2009
This sharpener works really well with most Global knives. Some points I would add however:

The idea is that this sharpener is designed for Japanese and not European knives as it sharpens at a different angle. My non-Japanese knives were all cheap so I was quite happy to keep going with the rougher stone and get them into shape. The only problem was that, unlike the Global knives, most of my European knives have a bolster - the blunt bit at the end of the blade closest to the handle to stop you cutting yourself - which won't pass through the guide slots so you can't sharpen the last inch or so.

One of my Global knives was particularly blunt so I happily sawed away on the rougher stone for a while until I found it had gone slightly banana shaped i.e. concave. So just pay more attention than I did and make sure you get the whole length of the blade with each swipe.

This sharpener is advertised for use with Global knives but one of mine is a deba knife (for fish) and is only supposed to be sharpened on one side. The only way to sharpen one of these knives `properly' is to use a wet stone as this sharpener is grooved and does both sides at the same time. I'm not that fussy as I'm more likely to be using this knife on cheese than filleting a mackerel and it still gives this knife a good edge.

The Elements of Lore - Volume 1 of The Books of Lore
The Elements of Lore - Volume 1 of The Books of Lore
by Doctor Harry S Hope
Price: 8.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible., 28 Jan 2009
This book is awful. The spelling mistakes and poor grammar are only amusing up to a point and I just ended up feeling insulted that I spent my time and money over this book but the publishers evidently didn't bother.

As for the story itself it isn't very original and a lot of the characters and situations seem overly familiar.

Worst of all, the whole thing reads like it has been written by a sixteen year old and never proof read or edited - the actual work that goes into writing. One supposedly exciting chase scene in particular drags on and on and the author has no idea of how to inject pace.

This book is boring, unoriginal, poorly written, the characters are unbelievable and not developed in any intelligent manner.

I know it's easy to criticize (and fun!) but I read a lot and I fully expect this to be the worst book I'll plough through for a long time which is frustrating as I only bought this book on the strength of the reviews here.

Try Joseph Delaney "The Spook's Apprentice" - for younger readers, Robin Hobb "Assassin's Apprentice" or Garth Nix "Sabriel" for a much better read.

The only comparison to Harry Potter should be "nowhere near as good."