Profile for mikeymustard > Reviews

mikeymustard "mikeymustard"

SoundMAGIC ES18 In Ear Sound Isolating Earphones - Black/Red
SoundMAGIC ES18 In Ear Sound Isolating Earphones - Black/Red

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely sound for a bargain price., 31 July 2014
You may notice I already reviewed SoundMAGIC's E10 a couple of years ago. I am not affiliated to the company, but I may be a bit of a fanboy!
So what can you expect from the much cheaper ES18? Well, a carrying pouch for a start, a set of ok silicon earbuds and, if you choose the black/red ones, a fairly subtle styling (red cable aside). Build quality feels pretty much what you'd expect for the money, and on a par with your Skull Candy's and Gumy's - they have a plastic body and cheapo feeling cable which seems to come with its own, dedicated tangle fairy.
I think I might have long ear canals; I certainly have trouble getting earphones to fit properly and get a decent seal (for the bass to work), but the combination of light, thin body and not bad earbuds means I can get a good seal and keep these in for hours.
And now to the important bit: the sound. What emanates from the ES18 is warm, deep (but not overbearing) bass, clear sibilance-free treble and just enough top end "sparkle" to stop it being too neutral. In fact, very similar to the previously mentioned E10, I'm guessing they contain the same drivers as the "family" sound is so close. If these were a much more expensive product I'd probably be a bit more picky and say the bass occasionally gets a little "flabby" (but never overwhelmingly so), while the upper range can sound a touch recessed (turning it up to eleven can help this a bit). What this does mean is you can listen to them for a long time without fatigue. It also makes women's voices much nicer to listen to, none of that shrillness that can creep in with a brighter treble. SoundMAGIC's engineers seem to have gone for what I would call an easy-going, not overly exciting sound, yet they are still hugely enjoyable and somehow very engaging: they make you want to listen to music through them.
While I'm being critical I'd also say that they need quite a lot of volume to drive them, much more than the E10, and I can't really understand why unless they've fiddled with the impedance to tune them for the plastic body, or turned them down for possible health and safety reasons. Or something.
I am amazed that a pair of headphones this cheap could genuinely sound this good; you can see where they've shaved the cost off, and I can only wait and see how robust they'll be, but once you plug them in all that is forgotten. I've given them 5 stars because of the incredible value to sound clarity they offer. These are not pro-quality studio monitors, they are enormously likeable chuckarounds that you won't feel frightened to go out and about with. So throw away those shockingly bad tin cans on strings that came with your expensive smartphone/mp3 player and begin to enjoy your music collection again without pain to your wallet - or your ears. At this price you'd be mad not to.

SoundMAGIC E10 Earphones - Silver/Black
SoundMAGIC E10 Earphones - Silver/Black

4.0 out of 5 stars amazing sound quality, but build quality could be suspect, 30 Jan. 2013
make no mistake, if someone tells you these beauties don't sound, good, they are either lying, or they didn't get a good enough seal from the silicone tips! Once fitted correctly, and burned in they have more than enough bass for all but the biggest bassheads out there, but it is also lush and pretty tight, with no boominess or flabby midbass tones. Mids are a little recessed (as are most popularly tuned 'phones), but are still clear with lots of space, while the treble has enough sparkle to stop it sounding dull, without inducing sibilance or fatigue. The sound stage is okay, on a par with similarly spec'ed earphones - I don't think I have enough imagination to feel like I'm inside the music!.
I listen to a wide range of music [and spoken], and all of it sounds good, though really busy pieces can get a little bit muddled in the midrange, probably due to a spot of bass bleed. One thing I have noticed is that I am listening to a lot more female vocalists since I bought these, they just seem to lend themselves to dirty, jazz/soul diva timbres.
So that's the good bit, now for the not so... this is my second pair, the first coming unglued, like quite a few other reviewers noted. The newer pair have a nicer, twisted cable that looks much more expensive. I hope these last longer (four months so far), this is the cause of the dropped star, they would've had 5 stars otherwise.
A lot of people have tried to claim these are better than 'phones that cost 2.or 3 times more than the E10's; well maybe, but don't try to compare them to £75 or even £50 earphones, just accept that at their price range they certainly are a top sound!

Samsung CLX-3185 Colour Multifunction Laser Printer Ref CLX3185
Samsung CLX-3185 Colour Multifunction Laser Printer Ref CLX3185

5.0 out of 5 stars Great printer for the price, but watch those toner costs!, 18 July 2012
My charity-run preschool was in need of a printer; we've been through countless inkjets, it seems impossible to get more than a couple of sheets through before: a) the paper jams, b) lines appear on the prints or c)the ink runs out. If c) then either it exhausts another ink while recharging after replacement, or it comes up with a "cartridge not recognised" error. We've had the Samsung for about 3 months now, hundreds of sheets of text and at least a hundred pages of photos later and it's as good as when we bought it. Text looks good, that laser professional shiny look, photos on the other hand are fine for the purpose we use, but it's not going to replace a dye sublimation jobbie (or, to be fair a top quality inkjet - when they print!)
Yes, original cartridges are expensive, but you can buy a kit to refill the cartridge with toner, and once the hole has been melted into the cartridge, you can buy a full set of toners and chips for about £38. It really is easy to prepare the cartridge for first refill by the way, if I can do it then anyone can!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 6, 2013 12:56 AM GMT

Xerox Phaser 6010V_N Colour Printer (12 PPM Colour,15 PPM Black and White,A4,USB/Ethernet)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great printer for the price, 11 May 2012
I've just paid £79 delivered for a brand new, colour laser network printer, what's not to like? I pulled it out of the box, plugged it into my router (it came with a euro and UK cable, but not network or usb cables, just like all other printers),my W7 laptop found it in network folders instantly and installed the drivers, box to printing first page, about 30 seconds! Installing it on my PC with XP on it wasn't quite as quick (needed the cd or downloaded drivers), and first time I installed it something went wrong and I had to un- and re-install the software, BUT, unlike many printers I've owned, it uninstalled cleanly, and everything went right this time. BTW it comes with mac and linux drivers, so I'm going to give my old ubuntu-driven lappie a tickle later.
Print quality is as expected, it wouldn't threaten a £1000 mono laser, but it's better than an inkjet for text and graphics(everything has an appealingly professional look to it), not quite up there with the best inkies for a photo, but still perfectly acceptable, pics coming out a touch dark by default, but a little fiddling fixes that.
OK it's not all plain sailing, if I'm being picky I do have one or two criticisms: firstly the cover for the paper tray actually is the paper tray when opened, this is a pretty flimsy affair, and when open adds about 10-12cm to the overall dimensions; then there's the design, it's kind of white, with transparent blue bits, fine in your office, but you wouldn't exactly want it pride of place in your living room (where mine is - damn!). Oh, yeah, and there's the small(?) matter of toner cartridge replacement cost: I think the best word to describe this is - ouch! - it's about forty quid for an original cartridge, £30 for a compatible, and just to add insult to injury, the cartidges that come with the printer are only half full "starter" carts. However, if you do a lot of printing, it is possible to refill these cartridges to "high yield" for about £17 without too much trouble.
Paper tray aside, it seems a very solid little machine, so with the provisos I made, it mostly deserves the 5 stars I gave it; you could remove one star for my niggles, but at this price point I don't think you'll find better with network capabilities, even if it isn't wireless.

AM-P2 2-way plug-in adjustable gain TV amplifier (Product Code: 50899 P148.500)
AM-P2 2-way plug-in adjustable gain TV amplifier (Product Code: 50899 P148.500)
Offered by imustbuy

4.0 out of 5 stars It works!, 15 Mar. 2012
Bought as a cheap alternative to a new aerial, and tbh I wasn't expecting a lot from it, so I was quite surprised when, not only did it work, but it works really quite well: at zero I can't get any signal, but at full blast you get all the digital channels. The socket is quite handy too, though it only has a loading of a few amps, so don't plug the electric fire into it!

Karrimor Men's Hydro II Closed-Toe Sandal
Karrimor Men's Hydro II Closed-Toe Sandal

4.0 out of 5 stars good "sandals" would've had 5* but for a silly problem, 15 Mar. 2012
Now first off I should point out that I paid about £15 for these shoes, they were advertised as used in good condition, but were (as far as I could tell) completely unused! I felt I should mention this as these shoes are currently £80 through Amazon warehouse, tho they are cheaper elsewhere (£25+p&p), even on this site.
What you get for your money is a pair of well-made and comfy footwear, with a vibram sole. Unlike some other manufacturers [cough *Merrell*] they are about the right size. The upper is quite elastic, and of course slotted, hence calling them sandals, though "ventilated shoe" is a better way to describe them (alright, not better, but definitely more accurate). The elasticated lace and toggle system is more like what you'd expect on a kid's shoe but it's ok. When I say ok I mean one side of the lace came out of the top toggle the first time I used them, but I just prised the two piece toggle apart, melted the end of the lace and slid it back into the cleat inside the toggle; took me five minutes and it hasn't come out since. Of course, you could just tie the lace together like someone else suggested. That was why I marked them down one star.
Looks-wise, well they look like a pair of brown hiking shoes with a [very little] bit of orange on them; if you wore a pair of brown socks, no-one would even notice the holes!
For £15 they're excellent, but I don't think I'd pay eighty spuds for them, and if I did, I don't know if I'd feel the same about them; I certainly think they're great value at what I paid, even £30-40, the vibram sole has gotta be worth that alone, but £80? Amazon, why ARE you selling them for that much?

Samsung SC9540 Silencio Vacuum Cylinder Cleaner, 1800 Watts
Samsung SC9540 Silencio Vacuum Cylinder Cleaner, 1800 Watts

5.0 out of 5 stars 18 months old and still going strong, 11 Nov. 2010
You always see reviews from people when they've just bought their product, so I thought I'd share my experience of the samsung after some fairly heavy use over a year and a half.
We don't have animals, so I can't speak for its pet-hair abilities, but in all other areas it works brilliantly, certainly on a par with a Dyson. The cleaner has been used daily and it still sucks as strongly as ever, and looks as good as ever. While we're on the subject of looks, its sparkly mirror black finish, and blue led lights make it look a lot nicer than a Dyson IMHO.
I've only had one minor problem - the bit that stopped the aluminium extendable pipe from retracting recently broke; one phone call to samsung and the pipe was replaced, so anyone saying that bits are breaking should try contacting the manufacturer, it does after all have a 5yr parts and labour warranty!

Lite-On LVW-5006 Dual Format  Multi Region capable DVD Recorder DVD+ / - R/RW
Lite-On LVW-5006 Dual Format Multi Region capable DVD Recorder DVD+ / - R/RW

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy it!, 12 Jan. 2006
Bought the 5006 in January 2005 - it was £170 odd then - and had no problems with it (not even any probs with discs) until July 05 when it decided to break down bit by bit. Got a replacement and that was fine til a week ago (Jan 06) when it stopped reading +R discs and then yesterday i couldn't play any new recordings. There is obviously a serious quality problem with I suspect, the drive. Before it broke down I'd have to say picture quality was average but it was fairly easy to use