Profile for Tom Hillman > Reviews

Content by Tom Hillman

Tom Hillman (London United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2
Selling and Sales Management
Selling and Sales Management
by David Jobber

5.0 out of 5 stars In over 20 years of sales/sales management I have never read a better book on this subject, it really is the ultimate guide...., 12 April 2014
I have read this book from cover to cover,and from academic and practical standpoint, I have not found a better book on sales. It is exceptionally comprehensive without being a dry read. Build your sales book collection around this book and I doubt you will go wrong, it is very much in touch with the real world of selling, but offers supporting evidence and facts rather than the empty rhetoric that so many sales books offer.

The book demonstrates a deep understanding of the subject matter and explains everything with great clarity. I have bookshelves groaning with the weight of sales books, from the "Smile your way to sales success in 60 days" type to the more practical. If I had discovered this book 20 years ago, I could have saved a considerable amount of money. Perhaps with such a modest and honest title I missed finding it for so long.

If you are a student, then from my experience in sales and sales management for large corporates, then this book will probably give you the best introduction to the subject without all the nonsense rhetoric which so many sales books have.

If you are a sales manager (or Sales Director as so many of us like to be called nowadays) then this book could have saved you thousands in expensive training courses for your teams. I would suspect that many training companies are using the foundations of this book to train; it is so comprehensive and understands our profession to well.

I have no idea why this book has not reached a wider audience; maybe the price (think value for money/benefits to cost) can be off putting, where a plethora of lightweight sales books can offer instant enlightenment for under £15. Or maybe some see it as too academic, I would suggest that this book is one of the very few ( or only ) books on sales to truly understand and explain what we would like to see termed as a profession, and so often due to many factors is not.

Spend the money, get the book, I doubt you will regret it, no matter where you are in your sales career, and if you are just starting out, this book may just save you a decade of understanding for very little outlay. Buy those lightweight "Learn to sell in a day" books if you must, but at least use this book as the bedrock and foundation of your career. Yes it is really that good.

Marathon Training: The Underground Plan To Run Your Fastest Marathon Ever: A Week by Week Guide With Marathon Diet & Nutrition Plan
by Jason Scotts

1.0 out of 5 stars There are better Marathon guides out there, 2 Jan. 2014
If you are looking for the kind of information you can find on the web within 10 minutes, mixed with colour photos and large blank spaces next to text which which tells you the basics, then this is your book. If you only want to see one training plan with the advice that tells you to start at week 20 if you are experienced, then this book is for you.
For around £1 or less this might represent fair value. I have no idea what an " Underground Plan......" actually means, you would be better placed to look for an overground plan, or just another marathon book.

Is Your Boss Mad?: The Definitive Guide to Coping With Your Boss
Is Your Boss Mad?: The Definitive Guide to Coping With Your Boss

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent. This book has depth and delivers practical advice you can actually use., 29 May 2013
An excellent well thought out book, which is highly accessible and offers great advice for dealing with bosses and to some extent company culture. The author has taken the time to put together strategies that at best will help you succeed, or at worst, at least allow you to cope until you or your boss moves on somewhere else. Unlike some books which occupy the business self-help category, this one does not over promise and under deliver. You will get a good read, some sensible advice and a few jaw dropping moments as various described scenarios will remind you of past jobs or your current position. If you are struggling to cope with a boss/organisation, then this book is certainly worth your time, and may just serve as the kind of book you go back to and read again, as your career progresses, or you get a new boss.

Don't Shoot - I'm Not Well: Confidence for When You Really Need It
Don't Shoot - I'm Not Well: Confidence for When You Really Need It
by Sean Brickell

2.0 out of 5 stars Unedifying, unoriginal, unremarkable., 14 Oct. 2011
Confusing confidence with smugness, aggression, creating a new world where you are right and others are wrong. This ill considered approach may invoke a process of diminishing returns, as your " confidence" increases, your friends may just quietly drift away. If you remember to add a strong dose of humility and empathy into this books advice , then you may just have a winning formula. if you are prepared to take the risk, and maybe reduce your Christmas card list!

Many of the authors own (?) anecdotes read like re framed, re imagined faded glories from years gone by, and the reader is left wondering if what is being described, really did happen as the author chooses to tell it. Embellished stories are a way to get the point across, but should at least have a foundation of believability. I do hope that berating the authors old lecturer in front of his current pupils was a schoolboy fantasy rather than reality, otherwise it is quite unpleasant.

The humour is patchy, the "Don't Shoot" anecdote, which morphs into a convoluted tale, before collapsing into an unfunny, grammatically challenged punch line, concluding with a quote from Brendan Behan, without even affording the great writer any credit. You certainly have to have confidence (or something) to lift one of Brendan's best lines and pass it off as your own. I do have to admit the leg work on this point was undertaken by another reviewer, I just checked it out for accuracy and yes, the book title has been used before by a 1970s Irish raconteur. No harm in that, it's a great title, very catchy, and it certainly caught me!

It is uncanny that so many reviewers received this book as a gift and then went onto write just the one review. I bought this book, and perhaps as I spent my own money, I am being a little critical over a largely harmless though in my opinion unbalanced and ineffective tome. Currently there are 142 better sellers in the Amazon list on self confidence, and I wish I had picked a different one to buy. Confidence is not arrogance and smugness, and this book does not help you to understand this key point. Village charity shop, here I come!

The Blasphemer
The Blasphemer
by Nigel Farndale

5.0 out of 5 stars Exciting,engaging and enthralling, 4 Oct. 2011
This review is from: The Blasphemer (Paperback)
This novel moved along like bump starting a car. Initially it felt like a slow start, I had to get my shoulder down and push hard, and then drop it into second when I built up momentum. From then on this book fired into life, and roared down its own highly descriptive and rewarding literary highway. This novel should have "high definition" stamped on the front cover, such is its attention to detail and the author should be truly proud of his descriptive and storytelling talents.
The first few chapters built slowly, and as such I moved from hardback, to audio book, then once I was truly involved, back to my Kindle. In any medium this book is truly superb and as you move through the story, you start to appreciate the solid foundations laid at the start, which initially made me feel the story telling was a little slow, however this is entirely necessary to create a truly wonderful story which immerses you deeply into the plot.
With writing talent of this standard, the author might just persuade me to look at his other books

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best mirrors out there, 6 Oct. 2010
I have tried other bar end mirrors, I have tried the bike - eye mirror , I have even tried looking over my shoulder!
This is by far the best and reasonably discrete and effective mirror you can find. No vibration problems, good clear image, and easy to fit. Does not look too out of place on a racing bike.

Sunoptic R69B Blue Memo Flex Reading Glasses - Strength +2.00 Including Case
Sunoptic R69B Blue Memo Flex Reading Glasses - Strength +2.00 Including Case

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Value, 31 Jan. 2010
At first I thought these glasses were a mistake as they did keep falling off. Then I realised if you press lightly on the bridge of the glasses, they grip firmly but not too tightly. Once I worked this out, they were fine. They are light, flexible, and not too expensive. Overall a good buy.

Box Canvas Print of Paul Ross
Box Canvas Print of Paul Ross

5.0 out of 5 stars As a Paul Ross look a like I prefer this picture to mirror on the wall, 18 Dec. 2008
This review is from: Box Canvas Print of Paul Ross
People have mistaken me for Paul Ross in the past, from cab drivers to waiters in resteraunts. Sadly my own mother thinks he is ugly and irritating, but can't see the look-a-like resemblence, with me. Maybe this beautiful canvas print will help me to bring up this embarrasing subject.
I may just purchase two, one for her and one for me instead of a mirror.
This is the present of the year.

Melody
Melody
Offered by Side Two

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't hesitate just buy it, 14 July 2008
This review is from: Melody (Audio CD)
There are longer reviews with much greater detail than this one, but for those in a hurry or with a short attention span.

In brief this is a superb CD and well worth buying. You will not be dissapointed.

Creative Zen Stone Plus 2GB MP3 Player - Black
Creative Zen Stone Plus 2GB MP3 Player - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb Product, 15 May 2008
This is superb product, and a real leap forward from the older Creative Zen, which has taken me through 50 Marathons and numerous shorter runs, getting bounced about and covered in sweat (!) without any problems at all. The new Creative ( I bought directly from them ) is lighter, and easier to use. It is a great alternative to Apple, and from an intial run, seems to be just as robust.
If you are tempted to order through Amazon to Pixmania, why not google "Pixmania Complaints" first, then make your own mind up.
Product superb, just be careful where you buy it from. Amazon great, Pixmania now there is a question mark.

Page: 1 | 2