Profile for B. Towns > Reviews

Content by B. Towns

B. Towns (Southampton, UK)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11
Bounce: How Champions are Made
Bounce: How Champions are Made
by Matthew Syed

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting read, 3 Nov 2010
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
As an avid reader of self-help, personal-development, coaching, psychology and associated literature there wasn't a lot in this book I found original.

If you haven't read many of the other resources mentioned in the various reviews already, this book will get you off to a good start on the subject of achievement.

One theme I did like was the downplaying of talent in favor of focused practice. I fully concur with the idea that we all-too-easily put achievement down to raw talent, rather than acknowledge the endless hours of rehearsal both mentally and physically that it takes to get to the top in pretty-much anything.

Lively, well-presented and worth reading, this book could well be a catalyst for people who have been held back by the belief that talent is the be-all and end-all to achievement.

Samsung Q2 8GB MP4 Player With FM Radio - White
Samsung Q2 8GB MP4 Player With FM Radio - White

3.0 out of 5 stars Slim, sleek & sophisticated mp3 player - with a few problems....., 3 Nov 2010
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Whilst overall this is a very nice mp3 player, there are a few things to be aware of prior to purchase.....

Pro's:
1. Very nicely presented - slim, sleek and sophisticated-looking
2. Simple user interface
3. Has the 'touch-screen' feel with the sensors underneath the screen, which means you don't end up leaving finger-marks and smudges on the screen area (a pet hate of mine)
4. The easiest media-center I have used - pre-loaded on the mp3 player and simple to install on a pc (mac version also available)
5. If you don't want to use the media center you can use the drag-and-drop method of loading it up
6. Quality FM radio
7. Acceptable headphones
8. Acceptable battery life
9. Fantastic sound and video quality (when you can get the videos to play!)

Con's:
1. The cable attachment is difficult to unplug from the mp3 player at times - it is constantly getting stuck and having to be man-handled to remove it - very irritating
2. Limited video playback formats (meaning conversions necessary)
3. Will not play MP4 videos despite it being advertised as an MP4 player?????
4. Very slow video conversion rate using the media center software supplied

In Summary:
You are buying Samsung so there will naturally be a premium to be paid for the name. For the asking price there are similar items which are cheaper with the same and better features (2mb camera included, etc) and that actually do play the video formats they advertise from drag and drop and without conversion. For this reason I have rated this a 3 at best.

8/11/2010 Quick update on the cable attachment issue - I eventually opened up the plug and removed the 2 securing hooks as I have no doubt I would have done the player a 'damage' with time. Plug still secure and fully functional - problem resolved!

GHS Double Ball End Boomers Electric Guitar Strings10-46
GHS Double Ball End Boomers Electric Guitar Strings10-46
Offered by Strings Direct
Price: 9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Good price, quick delivery, 2 Nov 2010
What more is there to say about guitar strings? Good price, quick delivery and this supplier still stocks these!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 4, 2012 7:56 AM BST

Getting to Plan B: Breaking Through to a Better Business Model
Getting to Plan B: Breaking Through to a Better Business Model
by John Mullins
Price: 18.58

3.0 out of 5 stars Useful, But Rather 'Hard Going', 17 Sep 2010
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I think the most important message in this book is 'maintain flexibility'. As an entrepreneur I couldn't agree more - adapting to the changes of markets as they evolve is not only a challenge, it is essential if you want to stay solvent.

I found this book a 'dry' read, rather 'hard going' and it has taken me quite some time to get through it. This is unusual for me as I am a voracious reader of entrepreneurial and business-orientated literature.

Not my favorite business book by any means but worth a look.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Body Fat Analysis Tool....., 5 Aug 2010
I am a lean gym enthusiast that has got to the stage where 'weight on scales' is becoming increasingly meaningless as my muscle to fat ration changes over time, my body becomes more defined, and my waist to hip ratio alters.

I bought this gadget because the body fat analysis tools I have used in the past have been so obviously poor. I am specifically referring to those tools that supposedly put a small current through your body and measure your body fat percentage using that means. In my experience this method is hopelessly inaccurate.

I now use the Warrior Digital Body Mass Caliper to assess my progress over time - muscle to fat ratio being a much better yardstick than simple 'weight on scales' if you are working out regularly.

The Warrior Digital Body Mass Caliper is easy to set up, simple to understand and, with a bit of practice measuring, an excellent means to assess and track body fat percentage (it even has a memory function to store results over time).

I highly recommend this as a worthwhile investment for those serious about their training results.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 9, 2011 10:17 PM BST

X-OOM media grabber (PC CD)
X-OOM media grabber (PC CD)
Offered by APE-GAMES
Price: 4.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Zero Performance, 27 July 2010
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
As a Vine reviewer I really dislike having to report back negatively on products but in this instance I am left with little choice. I received this a while ago and despite having made several concerted attempts at getting this to work in the way described on the box, am still unable to view or download YouTube and other videos, and the search algorithm is so narrow as to make this product almost worthless. There are far better alternative products on the market. I have uninstalled this as I can't ever see a time when I would attempt to use it again. Not recommended.

CyberLink PowerDirector 8 Deluxe (PC)
CyberLink PowerDirector 8 Deluxe (PC)

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent starter product, 23 April 2010
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I am no video editing boffin but have found this program easy to use, a LOT of fun, and with enough features to keep me interested and stimulated creatively, without the feeling of overwhelm many of these programs cause. Installation of the program was simple, there are plenty of special effects and my experience has been the program is stable. I am using a Vivitar DVR550 digital video cam (also recommended) with a 16GB SD card and am running the program on an Aspire 5536 - AMD Turion RM74 (2.2 GHz) with 4GB of memory. Importing from the SD card is quick and simple and whilst I have no doubt a more powerful machine would make editing quicker, I have no complaints at the performance I have experienced on this basic laptop. Have Fun!

The Wealthy Author
The Wealthy Author
by Joe Gregory

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Good Resource....., 23 April 2010
This review is from: The Wealthy Author (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have read a multitude of books on authoring and this rates amongst the best I have seen. I particularly like the practical tools and 'hands-on' approach the book offers which is a welcome contrast to the many heavily theory-orientated books available on the subject. The book has numerous suggestions on selecting a niche - something well known to internet marketers for its profit-pulling power, and thereafter fulfilling the needs of the niche in a profitable way. If in any doubt about this approach, do a little research on niche marketing on the 'net - you will soon be convinced! Recommended.

Chicken Qabalah of Rabbi Lamed Ben Clifford
Chicken Qabalah of Rabbi Lamed Ben Clifford
by Lon Milo DuQuette
Price: 14.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Qabalah for all us chickens!, 12 Oct 2009
This is an OUTSTANDING introduction to Qabalah - concise, easy to understand and, best of all, written in Lon's typically humerous style.

Refreshingly free of convoluted language, vague descriptions and overly-complicated detail, this is a useful addition to the library of anyone setting out on this esoteric journey.

Highly recommended!

Philips GoGear Spark SA2940/02 4GB Colour Display 1.5" MP3 Player
Philips GoGear Spark SA2940/02 4GB Colour Display 1.5" MP3 Player

4.0 out of 5 stars Good value for money, 11 Aug 2009
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have been using this mp3 player for a few weeks now and have been putting it through its paces at home and at the gym.

Pros:

What I like about this particular mp3 player is the 'push / click screen' navigation system - it has one of the simplest menu systems I have ever seen.

The item is compact, easy on the eye and seems robust enough for most people.

I particularly liked the 'instant install' that happens when you first plug the player into your pc. The pre-loaded software is completely idiot-proof and has an automatic online firmware upgrade facility in-built. I have upgraded the firmware once already and it was very simple.

A comprehensive manual is included and there is an online FAQ and other information available should you need it (very doubtful). The only thing missing from the manual is instructions as to how to set up a playlist but this was easily remedied by playing around with the mp3 player for a while.

On-board facilities such as graphic equaliser, voice recorder, folder view, and a few other standards in mp3 players are very well presented in this item and result in a very pleasing listening and user-friendly experience.

File transfer is simply a matter of drag and drop.

Battery-life is good with infrequent charge-ups required. Charge up is quick and simple - plug the mp3 player into a spare usb port whilst you do your online surfing and away you go.

Cons:

I gave it 4 stars because of average earphones, inadequate belt-clip, size (4GB may not be big enough for many people), and lack of FM radio in this particular model.

Despite these points however, I highly recommend this item - great value for money and an mp3 player that would be my first choice for anyone considering their first mp3 player, or a compact addition to their existing collection.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 17, 2010 12:16 PM GMT

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11