Profile for B. Towns > Reviews

Content by B. Towns

B. Towns (Southampton, UK)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-13
Incubus (Fairwick Chronicles 1)
Incubus (Fairwick Chronicles 1)
by Carol Goodman

4.0 out of 5 stars A Worthwhile Read, 20 Jan. 2012
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I finally got around to reading this having ordered it a while ago.

The story-telling is well-crafted with interesting characters and plot development - a bit thin in places but still engaging enough to keep you turning pages.

As an aficionado of the occult I particularly enjoy this type of Gothic horror - with a hint of eroticism to add a bit of spice although this does seem to position the book at a more adult readership than may first meet the eye.

If you like atmospheric Gothic / occultic writing then you will find this a worthwhile read!

5.0 out of 5 stars Recommended, 20 Jan. 2012
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Being a Kaspersky user for some time I decided to try AVG anti virus on a laptop I purchased.

To me, of paramount importance is ease of use and 'hands-off' reliability, and in my opinion AVG anti virus scores highly on both counts.

Installation was straight forward and the package immediately went and updated the anti-virus signatures - something it does automatically on a daily basis.

As this was a new laptop, running the anti virus program itself was quick and it found nothing to report - as would be expected.

On a laptop with an i3 processor the software does not appear to place any undue strain on resources, and there is no noticeable deterioration in performance as a result of installing it - not something I have always experienced with anti virus programs.

It doesn't have a firewall, but as Windows 7 already has one I am not convinced this will make that much of a difference to the overall protection level - I have never been one to mess around with the standard configurations anyway so a configurable firewall isn't high on my list of 'must-haves'.

I rated it 5 stars for ease of installation, seamless integration and operation, and excellent price - much cheaper than many similar software packages with no noticeable differences.

Overall very pleased so far with this software - if that situation changes I will be back to report!

AVG Anti Virus 2012 2 PC, 2 Year Licence (PC)

God Hates You, Hate Him Back: Making Sense of the Bible (Revised International Edition)
by CJ Werleman

5.0 out of 5 stars Biblical debunking at its best!, 29 Dec. 2011
I defy anybody - be they of the charismatic 'happy clappy' religious persuasion, fence-straddling agnostic mind or rampant atheistic tendency, to read this and not find it very funny - and thoroughly enlightening at the same time.

This book-by-book analysis of the poorly written, dated and self-contradictory tome purporting to be the word of god is a work of art and should be deeply pondered by everyone thinking of surrendering rational thought in favour of blind 'faith'.

It will ruffle many feathers, provoke outrage and a bunch of childish name-calling (see some of the remarks left by other reviewers), as many will find it hard to accept that the basis upon which they have lived their lives does not stand up to the reality check this book offers.

I HIGHLY recommend this book, together with 'The God Delusion', 'God Is Not Great', and 'The End Of Faith' by other authors.

BRILLIANT!!!

Philips QG3250/32 7-in-1 Multigroom Grooming Kit
Philips QG3250/32 7-in-1 Multigroom Grooming Kit
Offered by Megga Distribution

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Budget Trimmer, 18 Nov. 2011
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have owned a variety of hair trimmers in my time but never one that does pretty much anything you could ever want to do with a trimmer.

Despite taking ages to charge up, once fuelled it does what it says on the tin with typical Phillips efficiency - dealing with unwanted nasal, ear and eyebrow hair quickly and painlessly, cleaning up unwanted neck hair fuzz with aplomb and whilst I haven't allowed it near my head as yet, can easily see how it would deal with this task with equal ease.

I also like the fact that the attachments can be cleaned by a simple rinsing - something not recommended with many trimmers of similar price.

This will be a welcome companion for many a traveller - overall - recommended.

Primal Body, Primal Mind: The Secrets of the Paleo Diet and New Discoveries in Brain and Longevity Science
by Nora T. Gedgaudas

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Expose Of Many Dietary Myths....., 28 Sept. 2011
Let me state at the outset I am not being paid for this review and am not associated with the author of this book in any way.

I picked it up quite by chance and feel so strongly that the message it conveys is of such importance in light of current levels of ill-health and obesity, that I decided to write a review.

Having followed a high protein, medium fat, low carb (zero gluten) diet (Paleo diet) for umpteen years and recommending it to my clients (I am a Kinesiologist), I can state without fear of contradiction that the mere exclusion of carbs, gluten and dairy from one's diet will go a very long way to improving one's overall health without pills and potions - a VERY long way.

I am 51 years old, 5'5", gym 3X a week, weigh 79kg (just over 12 stone so BMI over 30 - apparently obese - JOKE) with a 31 inch waist, my blood-pressure is some 112 over 65, body-fat 11 to 13% with NO cardio work at all, and best of all, my doctor NEVER sees me. In fact they have taken to phoning me to attend clinics now that I have reached a half-century (seems they think everyone is coming apart at the seams once they hit 50!) - and I put my current physical and mental health down to one simple thing - my diet.

Yes the diet does require re-educating yourself to eat differently, see fats differently and planning your grocery shopping differently, and yes your body may initially crave what you have been feeding it for so many years, but once the initial 10 to 14 day period has elapsed and your body started to rebalance, no pill or potion on earth will match its effectiveness in rebuilding your health.

We have been fed so much dietary mis-information over the years for (what is in my opinion) the sole purpose of financial gain, that seeing the 'wood for the trees' has become increasingly difficult. Don't be suckered in by big-pharma - they are not the least bit interested in anything other than profit, and GP's on average have limited knowledge (and even less interest) in the nutritional correction of health imbalances - sorry, but that has been my experience and that reported by many, many of my clients.

Interesting enough, the people I have found most resistant and closed-minded to the potential of this eating-style are traditionally trained nutritionists. I guess I can understand that if you have spent 3 or 4 years getting a diploma or degree in this discipline and a lot of what you have been led to believe turns out to be incorrect, you could be somewhat defensive!

I disagree with the reviewer that gave this 2 stars. I don't eat grass fed meats, drink unpasteurised milk, etc - I use what is available with a heavy dash of common sense. The author doesn't insist on this, merely regularly recommends it as the best course of action if possible.

In my experience this way of eating is entirely practical and also doesn't have to be expensive. It is undoubtedly more expensive than 'Pot Noodles', piles of bread, potatoes, pizza and other stodge, but what price your health?

I do also recommend The Diet Delusion and the Atkins range of books as resources for this way of living, and research behind the Paleo-type diet.

This book will ruffle some feathers! I have already encountered this when I put people on a similar diet and got results that pills and potions couldn't - not popular with the pill-pushers by any stretch. Big bread business and other junk food manufacturers won't like it, neither will all the vested interests in grain, etc - but don't let that deter you - try it for yourself and feel the difference.

I whole-heartedly and unreservedly recommend this book!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 23, 2012 2:54 PM GMT

Philips SHC5100/05 Indoor Hi-Fi Over Ear Headphone
Philips SHC5100/05 Indoor Hi-Fi Over Ear Headphone
Offered by Luzern

3.0 out of 5 stars Great for guitar practice!, 22 July 2011
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have been using these in a variety of settings - TV, PC, mp3 player, guitar pedal board and find their performance much better than a comparable set I have used in the past.

Having said that however, the actual music quality isn't great - the set I have also suffers with hiss (as reported by others) and the sound can be a bit tinny at times.

If you are an electric guitar enthusiast using headphones for practice these are great - being cord-free means you don't have the constant irritation of having to sit on top of your kit because of yet another cable! Sound quality is fine for this purpose as it is for gaming, watching TV and movies on the PC.

If you are a serious music-lover with a seasoned ear however, these may not be for you.

Business Accountz Professional (PC/Mac/Linux)
Business Accountz Professional (PC/Mac/Linux)

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth the investment, 27 May 2011
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
As an entrepreneur I have been running 'cash-based' spreadsheets for years.

The problem with spreadsheets is their inability to easily pull out profit and loss statements, a balance sheet and projecting your bills payable forward so you know what is on the horizon for payment.

Typing errors also easily creep in so there is a need to be 'eternally vigilant' when using this method.

Business Accountz Pro eliminates all of these issues.

There is a learning curve with this package - as with all accounting software, and you do need to go through the instructions regarding the methodology of the package reasonably carefully to get the best from it, but don't let that put you off.

The package is easy to navigate, easy to use, corrections are straight forward (unlike some packages which do not allow corrections but require general ledger entries - yukkk!), and it does what it says on the tin - produces detailed information on expenses, bank reconciliation, balance sheet, vat returns - what's not to like?

Having used (and abandoned) a variety of packages in the past such as soho, quickbooks, sage, I can state without fear of contradiction this has been the quickest and easiest to learn and use. Perfect for the small to medium sized business - get it, learn it, use it and start discovering the beauty of having business information at the press of a button.

Thinkpak: A Brainstorming Card Deck
Thinkpak: A Brainstorming Card Deck
by Michael Michalko
Edition: Cards

4.0 out of 5 stars Practical Tool For Business, 21 April 2011
This deck is a condensed version of the Thinkertoys book in a way - and comes with its own mini-booklet describing each 'Thinkertoy', and suggestions on how to use the deck.

I like practical hands-on tools and don't always have time to wade through books to find what I need (although I am reading Thinkertoys in conjunction with this item), so this pack and booklet is ideal for me.

When I have a problem without an obvious solution, I find that shuffling the cards and drawing out a random suggestion very useful.

Using tools like this does take some effort however. The cards don't offer solutions but rather suggest different ways of approaching the problem - which in itself requires brainsweat in order to apply the suggestion creatively.

I haven't used the cards in a team environment but can easily see how they could be very useful for generating ideas in such a situation.

The cards are of a good quality, come with an instruction booklet and are housed in a sturdy box.

The SMARTA Way to Do Business: By Entrepreneurs, for Entrepreneurs; Your Ultimate Guide to Starting a Business
by Matt Thomas

5.0 out of 5 stars Thinking Of Starting A Business? Read This Book!, 18 Mar. 2011
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have dozens of books in the business, sales and management genre and few manage to impart knowledge, practical advice and enthusiasm like this book does.

The book makes a solid case for starting a business NOW, and I couldn't agree more.

There are plenty of opportunities - part of most people's difficulty in getting started however, is the myopia with which we have been conditioned to view business start-ups as difficult, expensive, and needing tons of 'expertise'.

Nothing could be further from the truth!

If you have an idea, if there's a market, and if you can set up a simple website, you have the makings of a business. It has never been cheaper or easier to do!

The book takes you through the step-by-step process of identifying, qualifying and implementing simple strategies to get you going.

Read it, absorb it - do it NOW!

Driving Test Success All Tests DVD Premium 2011 Edition for DVD player or DVD compatible games console (Interactive DVD)
Offered by PNA247

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Resource, 18 Feb. 2011
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I requested this for my daughter who has been working through the Theory course and test.

Having watched over her shoulder I am very impressed with the standard of production and the comprehensiveness of the product.

I will update when we move onto the next phase of study!

So far, excellent learning tool!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 21, 2011 11:12 AM GMT

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-13