Profile for J. Comyns > Reviews

J. Comyns (USA)

Fly Away Home
Fly Away Home

5.0 out of 5 stars Riveting Read, 18 April 2012
This review is from: Fly Away Home (Kindle Edition)
Fly Away Home is a superbly crafted memoir of one woman's life lived on two continents. As the descendent of second generation Norwegian immigrants but a New Jersey girl herself, the author skillfully captures the challenges inherent to a life lived straddling the Atlantic and her searingly honest narrative carries the reader on a journey of love and loss that is truly compelling.

From the books' opening statement that "It's always been acceptable for people all over the world to sell their belongings, pack up their children and leave their homeland for America," you know that you're about to embark on the kind of journey that encompasses the hopes and dreams of generations of people who have lived before you. Myklebusts skill lies in her ability to draw the reader into her narrative, confiding her deepest thoughts as if to a friend or confidante, and leading you through a tale of love and tragedy that only real life could possibly create.

Always a lover of a good true story, I was enchanted by the teenage Maggie and her two groups of friends and found myself eagerly willing them to achieve their youthful hopes and dreams. As the narrative progressed and I followed them through life's twists and turns, I marveled at the depth of their friendship despite constant geographical separation. With the help of her friends and family, Maggie successfully faces both her fate and her destiny with a dignity that I found inspiring. A tale of strength, courage and true love, Fly Away Home is punctuated with references to major international events that led me to think of my own life at those key moments in history and relate them to Maggie's story. As her life comes full circle and her connection with the past becomes her future, I was left with a sense of peace that all is now as it should be for a brave mother who flew away from one home to find another.

If you're looking for a good book about love, friendship and family, then this is it. If you want a riveting read then look no further. I couldn't put it down!

Childbirth without Fear: The Principles and Practice of Natural Childbirth
Childbirth without Fear: The Principles and Practice of Natural Childbirth
by Grantly Dick-Read

5.0 out of 5 stars Required Reading For Every Mum-to-be!, 22 July 2007
If you never read any other book on childbirth, make sure you read this one. I first read this book before I had my first child in 1992. I was so glad I did. My understanding of the labour-fear-tension connection enabled me to have a relatively pain-free labour. I have since had 2 more children and reread this book each time, using the knowledge I gained to feel in control of my birthing experiences. Relaxation has been key and as a result, I can honestly say that giving birth has been the most fantastic experience for me each time. My midwives have all said they've never seen anyone give birth in such a relaxed state.