Profile for Laura > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
The Train Set
The Train Set

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor, 7 April 2014
This review is from: The Train Set (Kindle Edition)
The first story ruined this book for mewith a glaring error. The author set the peice in 1976 and then stated the loco was a Class 60, a machine not built until 1989. Such innacuracies seem slapdash and spoiled the illusion that fiction needs to create to draw the reader in.

Sony CMTFX250 Mini Hi-Fi with All in One Audio System
Sony CMTFX250 Mini Hi-Fi with All in One Audio System

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Quality Stereo, 15 Jun. 2013
We bought this mainly for the DAB feature as we have it in our kitchen. However, it is the usual high quality we'd expect from Sony and by chance we found it plays CDs containing digital content, so MP3s and similar burned to disc work perfectly, and in a compressed format has allowed large collections to be burned on a single disc and played effortlessly by this stereo.

We are not in a great DAB area but have still picked up many good stations and the reception is crystal clear. AM and FM reception is also good and overall sound is brilliant. It is more than enough for our needs and at a great price. Would suit most families I would suggest as a general home stereo as it will play a range of formats and has a great range of playback features and options. Good sound and compact size with neutral by stylish finish.

Ricco 16 GB Aluminium Capsule USB 2.0 Flash Memory Drive with Weather Proof and Anti-Shock - Silver
Offered by Gadget Express

3.0 out of 5 stars Simple and Rugged, 15 Jun. 2013
I have been using this for work in a less than perfect environment and found it to be rugged and reliable. The cap occasionally falls off in my pocket, but it can be done up very tight. I would have thought the keyring would be better being attached to the main body rather than the cap and I would not trust clipping this to a keychain or belt for example, you may end up with just the lid hanging off your belt!! Otherwise fine with quite fast read and write speeds.

Philips Sonicare HX6511/50 EasyClean Electric Rechargeable Toothbrush
Philips Sonicare HX6511/50 EasyClean Electric Rechargeable Toothbrush

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Electric Toothbrush, 15 Jun. 2013
We have previously used rotary type brush before but found them uncomfortable in the long run, so much so we went back to manual brushing.

However, we thought we'd try this version. Well made product, easy to set-up and use and much more comfortable than rotary types. After some months of use we are still on the original brush heads and they are doing a fantastic job. A recent dental check elicited praise for the clinician over marked improvement in tooth condition, so must be doing something good!

D-Link DWA-140 Wireless N USB Adapter
D-Link DWA-140 Wireless N USB Adapter
Offered by TriStar Electronics Ltd

3.0 out of 5 stars Good But Not For Linux, 15 Jun. 2013
I bought this for use with a Linux based machine and despite recommendations elsewhere on the net, I found it does NOT work with Linux our of the box. There do appear to be work-arounds, but using this with Ubuntu as plug and play was out of the question. Worked fine with Windows, but there are better products for Windows users out there. For me, this product was not as expected.

Lego Storage Brick 8 Blue
Lego Storage Brick 8 Blue

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Lego Storage Idea, 15 Jun. 2013
If your children like Lego and you like tidiness, then buy these! A fun and practical way of storing Lego which has saved my feet and knees from pain when on the floor and 'discovering' that missing block!!! A tad expensive, but solidly made and should last a long while whilst retaining their value.

Kindle Paperwhite (5th generation), 6" High Resolution Display (212 ppi) with Built-in Light, Wi-Fi

5.0 out of 5 stars My Favourite Gadget, 15 Jun. 2013
I held off and actively argued against the idea of e-readers for ages. Then I saw one and saw the potential but wasn't convinced. Then having had trouble finding some books I wanted to read but could see them readily available on the Kindle and for pennies rather than pounds, I looked into the idea and boy am I glad I did!

I spent days reading through reviews, comparisons, guides, wathing YouTube reviews, before deciding on the Kindle Paperwhite as the reader of choice. I didn't want to go as far as the Fire HD as I love my Samsung Netbook too much to start surfing with the Kindle, but as a pure e-reader, this seemed to be the ticket. And it is!

Out the box (delivered within 14 hours of ordering by the way - the high street is DEAD, sorry!), the Kindle was lighter than expected and thinner. Although it feels initially delicate, you soon get the feel for it and see it is far more rugged than expected. The controls on the screen are simple and using it is a breeze. I was set-up, wireless connected and downloading and reading books in about 30 minutes taking my time. So straight forward, so...elegant in operation, and easy on the eyes to read.

Almost endlessly adjustable settings enable to find right font, the right light, the right size, the right layout for just you at any given moment. I use glasses to read but don't need to now if I choose not to, as the Kindle can compensate if needs be. Comfortable to read anywhere, especially in bed where the light used be on and so a happy partner is no longer disturbed when I just have to finish a chapter before sleeping!

Finding and downloading content is also easy, in fact almost too easy! The amount of books available for free or less than £3 is amazing and has saved me ruining myself funding my reading habit. Although I support the local library, they never seem to have in or be able to obtain the books I enjoy, so this really is the end of my lending days I am afraid - perhaps the future of libraries could be tied to e-readers instead?

I don't miss the feel of a book at all, this is much easier I have to admit. I, as a minimalist, also find the lack of having to find room for books and even for the one you are reading, to not be cluttering the tables/sides in the home is fantastic - just one neat item in its smart Kindle leather cover containing a large library at your fingertips. Simples!

Overall I am blown away by the ease of use, the beautiful and well designed pure functionality of the Kindle and it is by far and away the best single gadget I own. I heartily recommend it to all, it is worth every single penny.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 16, 2013 8:53 PM BST

Amazon Kindle Paperwhite Leather Cover, Onyx Black
Amazon Kindle Paperwhite Leather Cover, Onyx Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect!, 15 Jun. 2013
Not much to say about this product other than if you have a Paperwhite Kindle, buy it! Fits perfectly, feels quality, looks great and does the job it was eminently designed for. You can get cheaper alternatives, but why? Pay the money and have the real quality item in your hands!

Anthem
Anthem

5.0 out of 5 stars A Possible Future, 15 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Anthem (Kindle Edition)
A scathing insight into the possible future when collectivism becomes the all-encompassing ideal. The dumbed-down world of mono-thought and the result of equality lowering everyone to the lowest common denominator rather than the highest. But perhaps there is hope for individual liberty.......

The Plan: Twelve Months to Renew Britain
The Plan: Twelve Months to Renew Britain

5.0 out of 5 stars If Only...., 15 Jun. 2013
Everyone should read this book. It is now getting slightly date (perhaps time for a re-write ti bring it up to speed?) but the essential ideas, surprisingly from real politicians, make perfect sense and should be discussed if not implemented right off.

Capitalism as we know it is currently over-regulated, over-burdened and over interfered with. Our lives are becoming weighed down with interfering government nannying and it is driving much of modern Britain onto the rocks. The ideas put forward here can radically alter the political scene in Britain, give power back to the electorate and reform our lives forever. Perhaps that's why they are not being talked about....

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8