Profile for Stuart Halliwell > Reviews

Content by Stuart Halliwell

Stuart Halliwell "Krebsy" (UK)

Page: 1 | 2
The Imperial Infantrymans Handbook (Warhammer 40000)
The Imperial Infantrymans Handbook (Warhammer 40000)
by Graham McNeill

5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, funny and useful..., 16 Oct. 2014
Great book and quite funny take on what it would be like to be a member of the IG. Clearly written with strong pro-imperium/mankind propaganda as you'd expect and treats all the Xenos and Daemonic forces with a "don't worry, you'll be fine, you are better than any weak and stupid alien" approach you'd expect the Commisariat to say :).

From a gaming perspective there are a reasonable amount of pointers a new player with IG troops can actually take from this also regarding best uses of cover, troop and weapon types etc. so worth it for that along with the canon fluff about the Cannon fodder.. :).

Vallejo Game Color Games Ink Acrylic Paint Set - Assorted Colours (Pack of 8)
Vallejo Game Color Games Ink Acrylic Paint Set - Assorted Colours (Pack of 8)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value and crisp, clean colours..., 16 Oct. 2014
I got a set of these as I always preferr using inks to watered down paint for washes and effects on miniatures.

These don't dissapoint as they are a good range of assorted colours which can be blended together for a range of effects, plus mixed with acrylic paint or varnish to richen the colours.

They will last a long while also as the inks are very rich in colour so will need thinning down for most uses though striking effects can be added when used neat.

Far superior and more precise than any others I've tried inclusing the GW shades etc.

Kingston Technology MLW221 Mobilelite Wireless Reader
Kingston Technology MLW221 Mobilelite Wireless Reader

3.0 out of 5 stars Promising tech, but hideously slow.... (using the supplied app), 10 July 2014
I decided to get hold of one of these prior to going on holiday as I wanted a way to transfer files to and from my ipad and not have to clear down loads of space to squeeze movies onto the tablet. Checking into these devices, the reviews seemed promising enough and it seemed like it would fit the job.

Trying to get it runing however was problematic. The device doesnt appear to resfresh if you "hot-swap" a USB stick so you are stuck with whatever flash drive you had connected.

I was hoping that this would connect up to a small HDD in an external case but this doesnt appear possible. I've tried powering the drive seperately or via pass-through with my battery pack plugged into the MobileLite, but it only gives intermittant results. I guess it's the USB power output of the device being too low. :(.

So, limited to what size USB stick or SD card you have....

checking online it seems that the movie files are limited in their support (seems like if it's not a MOV variant it doesn't want to know) but it seems to recognise avi's etc. as movie files, though won't play them.

I've tried opening PDF documents and a 100MB book will take about 5 minutes to open. It appears to be (slowly) copying the entire file to the pad rather than streaming, so if you don't have enough spare capacity on the device to house the full file, you are stuck....

All in all, a good idea but seems hideously executed. I may send this back as "not fit for purpose". it sounds like under earlier software/app versions it was a lot better, but is seemingly rubbish now.

Poor show Kingston, poor show....

------------------

After doing a few tests it appears that this device works fine with the iphone4s and ipad2, but my ipad Air struggles to download any information from the device at all. the phone can recieve a 2gb movie with no problems and so can the ipad2. the Air struggles to get a 3mb .MOV file loaded.

YMMV, but it seems that this kit doesn't work with the latest ipads. I've asked Kingston for some advice on this, awaiting feedback...

-----------------

Further updates.

if you ditch the app that comes with this kit and get something like Stratospherix's FileBrowser, you can simply connect upto the wifi of the device, set the ip address (your default gateway from network info once connected - 192.168.200.254) as a NAS device and connect to it that way instead.

This brings a few benefits (for £4 outlay).

1. Much better interface.
2. it connects to the device and plays back video as expected.
3. You can "Send to" other applications, so if it can't open the video file itself, you can pick something else to do it with...

sort out the shoddy app Kingston...
----------------

Following further testing over time this appears to pick up my WD My Passport drive and will stream content to the iPad Air, though I still use an alternative application to access the device rather than the kingston supplied app.

if there has been an update then I'll give it another go, but not holding out too many hopes.

I've upped the rating by 1 star (to 3) as the device itself (bar the occasional dropped connection) seems to be ok.

Vax U90-MA-R Air Reach Multicyclonic Upright Bagless Vacuum Cleaner
Vax U90-MA-R Air Reach Multicyclonic Upright Bagless Vacuum Cleaner

3.0 out of 5 stars Good value at a cheap price, not so at full RRP., 3 July 2014
I saw this for the knock-down price of £99 and as we were looking to replace the dyson with something smaller I took a chance on swapping to a VAX instead.

Overall, the unit is good, it seems to clean well on it's initial test run and is nice and compact. It comes with a range of attachments including extension hose, turbo brush etc. and looks like it is up to the job. it's much smaller and somewhat lighter than the old dyson DC15 we had before.

However,

if I was paying full price (£249) for this I would be dissapointed as the unit does not have the same "solidity" that our dyson had. The plastic feels just slightly thinner and the hoses almost to thin for my liking. With the Dyson, to use the hose wand it was a simple job of standing the unit up, press a button and lift, but with this I'd need to switch off, unplug the hose from the bottom of the hoover, lift out the handle assembly, connect together and possibly stick in the extension hose as well.

I also didn't realise when purchasing that there is only one axis of movement between the body and the brush head rather than the two I've been used to with the dyson ball or something like the Vax Air3. This means that it's actually harder to steer the vacuum around furniture whereas I used to just twist the handle to the side to steer. This loss of functionality is offset somewhat by the lightness of the unit, but it's still noticable.

Overall, it's good and well worth it at the cheap price I paid but would look at something else if I was paying full RRP.

JVC In Ear Noise Cancelling Headphones with Carry Pouch
JVC In Ear Noise Cancelling Headphones with Carry Pouch

5.0 out of 5 stars Work a treat., 18 Jun. 2014
I got a set of these a while back (and still use the pouch for my phone :) ) and found them really useful for filtering out road noise when on the motorbike. yes, they don't kill all the background noise (I didn't expect them to) but there is a noticable difference with any continual noise (i.e. wind noise, air conditioning or jet engine sounds on a plane) so well worth the cheap price.

Eye-Fi Connect X2 4GB Wireless SDHC Memory Card
Eye-Fi Connect X2 4GB Wireless SDHC Memory Card

4.0 out of 5 stars Great to use, but..., 18 Jun. 2014
I got this for my Canon DSLR following a friends recommendation as the canon wifi body was seriously expensive and he'd found this as an alternative.

The card itself is simple to set up when connected to the PC and seemed to work fine after getting it into the camera.

Downsides though, the software does seem to be somewhat problematic and didn't seem to like Win8. it took quite a few emails to the 3rd-party to get it running. The card also takes a few seconds to transfer each image, which is to be expected but the camera can time out and power down as it doesn't know that the card is sending data which can be a problem if you've done a large photoshoot.

All the Wifi-ness doesn't appear to impact battery life though, bar having to increase the time limit before the camera auto-shuts down to a few minutes.

Apple IPAD AIR WI-FI 32GB 1024 MB 9.7-inch LCD - Space Grey
Apple IPAD AIR WI-FI 32GB 1024 MB 9.7-inch LCD - Space Grey
Offered by Right Click

4.0 out of 5 stars Still the best, but what's up with the screen?, 18 Jun. 2014
Light, fast, clear, easy to use, lots of storage capacity, and works like a charm. Still the best tablet on the market as far as the combined OS, application availability and usability goes.

But, I swapped to this from an Ipad 2 and that felt far more robust and solid than this. My old ipad has been through the wars with a bent corner or two and kept on ticking until it finally got the "black screen of death" issue a few weeks ago. I feel that if I were to drop the Ipad Air, it's likely to explode into a thousand pieces rather than bounce and keep on running like the old one.

Also, the noise and tactile feedback from the screen feels wrong in some way. The earlier pads had a nice solidity to the screen and when typing away it felt and sounded like tapping on glass. on the Air though its almost as if the screen feels like plastic instead as it has a more plasticy sound and flexibility. Maybe just something to get used to, but odd none the less.

iPad Air Case - The Original Black & Tan Leather Smart Case for iPad Air 2013 (5th Generation)
Offered by Purplemoose007

3.0 out of 5 stars nice to use but one or two issues., 18 Jun. 2014
The case itself has a comfortable texture and the folding stand is a lot more practical than some other cases I've used before with ipads.

The various pockets and slots are handy for notes, A5 sheets and business cards.

The build quality is a little poor though on the corners holding the round metal disks for the magnetic locking. in each outer corner by the screen there are round magnets that sit in dimples under the top black faux leather and these seem to regularly slide out of their holes and need pushing back in. wouldn't be too much of an issue but it appears that the top layer has come away slightly at the edges and I'll need to glue it back down to avoid losing the magnets.

Cooler Master Gaming Mouse - Recon
Cooler Master Gaming Mouse - Recon
Offered by Box Limited

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for lefties., 18 Jun. 2014
I got this to replace the generic mice i tend to use and was looking for something for a leftie that wasn't too expensive.

The Mouse feels comfortable in either hand and bar the occasional mis-click on the "back" button, easy enough to use. The weight is much heavier than your standard entry level mouse but in being so it's much easier to be precise with. The 4 different DPI settings are great, though I tend to use only the bottom two as the highest are somewhat redundant.

The custom software for the mouse seems simple enough though bar messing about with the colour options of the mouse, there's not too much need to mess about with things.

the rubberised texture is comfortable to hold and makes the mouse easy to handle.

All in all, a good option for lefties or righties.

Microsoft Windows 8 Standard 64 bit OEM, WN7-00403, English Version
Microsoft Windows 8 Standard 64 bit OEM, WN7-00403, English Version
Offered by Aqua Reefer

3.0 out of 5 stars Speed good, new UI pointless - Setup a pain., 3 Mar. 2014
I was running Vista-32 bit for quite a while and followed up with an update to 64-bit win 7 when shoving a few upgrades hardware wise into the PC. When Win8 surfaced I picked up the Upgrade for £20 from MS and shoved it over the top of Win7 on my SSD drive.

From the new Start screen, the only button/tile I used was the Desktop one... :)

When the SSD died I went through hell trying to get Win8 re-installed and tried firstly downloading the setup files onto my spare PC then running them on the repaired pc. however (and this is a BIG concern) if you download the installer on a win-32 bit machine, you can ONLY install 32 bit Win 8. I only found this out when I checked in the My computer settings post rebuild where it showed only 4GB memory in use and win8-32 bit as installed.

I phoned Microsoft to ask them if I could download an ISO file of the 64-bit version to install or if there was a way to force the downloader to install 64-bit, but the ONLY routes were to either user the installer (which would've been fine if it would have asked me if I wanted to download 64 bit or not) or buy the physical media from them.

The checker/installer tool you have to use to download win8 is only to create the iso file on a memory stick or DVD, so why doesn't it prompt you over what version you want to install? I can use a 32-bit install to download and burn a dvd for a 64-bit Linux install, so why not windows? Microsoft, which moron thought this installer was a good idea???

After much arguing, MS refunded me the upgrade cost of the software plus the cost of the physical media (and seeing as win7 only cost me £30 in the first place it was overall a bargain) and whilst the disks were on their way I used Mint Linux for a while (which I now use exclusively on the spare machine) and built a virtual win7-64 bit build to get the win8 installer running. I'd rebuilt everything on the new SSD before the new cup coasters arrived. :). If I had paid full RRP for the version of Windows I have I would have been much more annoyed.

It's not all bad, don't get me wrong. The new UI (even with the win 8.1 updates) is pointless for me, or for anyone who wants to use the "Full Windows experience" i.e. Anything they can do under windows 7. I would recommend if anyone is having problems doing admin tasks under win 8.x, google "windows 8 Godmode folder" to make it so much simpler.

Speed-wise, windows 8 steams along and I am impressed by how fast it appears to be now compared to Windows 7. From Cold tin to logging in, it takes 15 seconds from big red button to password prompt. Also, when I swapped the motherboard, processor, memory and graphics card I thought Windows would have a complete mental breakdown and need to be built from scratch, but I was pleasantly suprised that it started, showed it's little rotating-thinking dots for about 10 seconds and then fired up as was. Yes, it needed the authentication re-running, but that was a quick phone call and punching in a stream of numbers which took a minute or so to do.

Bar the Homegroup icon that stubbornly seems to tatoo itself to the desktop every now and again, no major problems since 8.1 updates.

TL;DR; - ignore the new UI, enjoy the speed as long as you can get the damned thing installed. :).

Page: 1 | 2