Profile for L. Hargreaves > Reviews

Content by L. Hargreaves

L. Hargreaves "Loupy Lou" (Lancashire United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2
Playing It Cool [DVD]
Playing It Cool [DVD]
Dvd ~ Chris Evans

5.0 out of 5 stars Sweet, cheeky, fun... I liked it!, 17 Jun. 2015
This review is from: Playing It Cool [DVD] (DVD)
Don't expect a complex plot line with in depth characters, plot twists and deep intellectual humour! It's a Rom-Com! But it's a very sweet, sometimes funny, sometimes sad and sometimes poignant romantic comedy. I admit...I watched for Chris Evans... but I loved the other characters too. Especially his dysfunctional, well meaning screwed up group of friends.
It does start off and you think "Um...Chris Evans or not, this looks like it's going to be a bit too naff!" but I felt it got better the more you understand the way it is shot (cut-aways to thoughts and dreams) and you end up rooting for the couple to be together, and isn't that what it's all about?
I will always say the same with films like this..... if you are looking for a romantic film that moves heaven and Earth for you and gives you a deep insight into what love actually is and has been all along.... don't watch this. IF, on the other hand, you want a film for a rainy Tuesday evening after a rough day at work that makes you go "N'awww!" Try it!

What's Your Number? (DVD)
What's Your Number? (DVD)
Dvd ~ Anna Faris

5.0 out of 5 stars but it is sweet, it is funny, 6 Jun. 2015
This review is from: What's Your Number? (DVD) (DVD)
Yes it's a bit corny, yes...it's not 'highbrow', but it is sweet, it is funny...it has got Chris Evans in it, and for a rainy Saturday afternoon it's a great watch! Anna Faris is great too, a character you end up really liking. If you like a RomCom it's worth a watch. If you're looking for art house cinema or Oscar winning performances.... move on!

Shakespeare Insult Generator
Shakespeare Insult Generator
by Barry Kraft
Edition: Spiral-bound

5.0 out of 5 stars You need one!, 4 April 2015
Simply....the best thing ever. It has created many night of laughter.

The Imitation Game [DVD]
The Imitation Game [DVD]
Dvd ~ Benedict Cumberbatch

5.0 out of 5 stars Just watch it. You have to. Best 'WOW!' film since The Kings Speech!, 4 April 2015
This review is from: The Imitation Game [DVD] (DVD)
Oh! This film.... This man... This story!!! It gave me goosebumps when I watched it at the cinema and it's given me goosebumps on DVD.
The story about Alan Turning is such an amazing one. He was a remarkable man and never really given credit for what he achieved. This film really makes you think and ask questions like what if he was stopped from creating his wonderful machine 'Christopher'?
Benedict Cumberbatch plays the part flawlessly, I forgot I was watching the actor, (although I feel that this is an amazing skill of Cumberbatch - to morph completely into the character that he plays so you never think about him playing another part) Even Keira Knightly was watchable in this (I am not a huge fan of hers, I always feel that she is playing 'Keira Knightly')
This film should be shown in schools and everyone should watch it so they fully understand what this remarkable man did to help this country.

The Five People You Meet In Heaven
The Five People You Meet In Heaven
by Mitch Albom

4.0 out of 5 stars One to think about..., 4 April 2015
I read this book after my mum had recommended it to me many times. I'm not sure if I enjoyed it, because I found it very sad, but I never felt like I wanted to give up on it. The concept is actually brilliant and it's certainly a book that makes you think long after you have read it. I suppose it's one of those books that has an effect on the reader. I say read it and make up your own mind, it is very well written.

What We Did On Our Holiday [DVD]
What We Did On Our Holiday [DVD]
Dvd ~ Rosamund Pike
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth a watch!, 4 April 2015
I've just watched this film and I have to say it is pretty good. I'm a huge David Tennant fan (he looks amazing in this!) and I loved his character. Some parts are very sad, I had a little weep more than once. The kids are brilliant and the relationship between the Grandad (Billy Connolly) and the kids was lovely. There are some laugh out loud moments and whilst it may not be the most believable storyline (why should it be...it's a film!) I think it's well worth a watch on a rainy afternoon.

The Decoy Bride [DVD] (2011)
The Decoy Bride [DVD] (2011)
Dvd ~ Kelly Macdonald

5.0 out of 5 stars A little bit lovely!, 31 May 2014
This review is from: The Decoy Bride [DVD] (2011) (DVD)
Ok, so first of all... it is not some high brow, arty, amazingly stylish rom-com. Then again it doesn't pretend to be. It is an easy watch, makes you feel kind of squishy and a few giggles kind of film! Kelly Macdonald is a lead girl everyone will love. David Tennant does what he does best...looks great, an English accent and comedy with a few longing stares here and there. I liked the story line, there are some real poignant moments in there that made me feel a bit misty eyed. All in all a lovely little film. I liked it!

50 LED Garden Fairy Lights - Bright Blue - 50 LEDs - Solar Powered - 12m Cable - 8 Modes - Indoor & Outdoor - Safe Low Voltage - ECO POWER SHOP UK

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't work!, 20 Dec. 2013
I don't know if ours are just faulty but they haven't worked since I put them outside. They lit briefly inside on the first day we got them after initial charging but since then...no light!
Also you have to switch them to 'On' to charge, good luck knowing whether you've switched them on or off because it's just a push button and there is no indication as to which position the button is in.
In short...they are going back! Might just be a bad set but they are pretty useless!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 18, 2014 10:33 PM GMT

Me Before You
Me Before You
by Jojo Moyes

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow., 9 April 2012
This review is from: Me Before You (Paperback)
I picked this book up at 1 pm this afternoon, I have just finished it at 11pm. I could not put it down. What a beautiful, heart warming, heart breaking story.
Beautifully written, Moyes takes an extremely delicate issue and writes about it from different points of view, with sensitivity.
I felt empathy for all the characters, I cried, I felt the passion.
This story will stay with me a long time. I would definitely recommend it.

A Single Man [DVD]
A Single Man [DVD]
Dvd ~ Colin Firth
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars Tasteful, beautiful, poignant and sad, 8 Jan. 2011
This review is from: A Single Man [DVD] (DVD)
What a stunning film this is. The cinematography is so incredibly beautiful, with the colours changing as the mood does.
The story is sad and romantic and filled with points that probably most people can relate to.
It is a wonderful mature film, witch I find are hard to come by these days. Tom Ford oozes class and so does this film.
Colin Firth is captivating on screen, still playing the stiff upper lipped, awkward English man but with such love and tenderness underneath.
I am not going to go into the story, I just wanted to say how truly gorgeous this film is! And if you appreciate something that is shot with class and style and can understand that the story is one that is delicate and always holds something back rather than an on the edge of your seat type gripper then I'm sure you'll enjoy it too. I will definitely be watching again.

Page: 1 | 2