Profile for Mike Quinn > Reviews

Gigaset C595 Single DECT Telephone
Gigaset C595 Single DECT Telephone
Offered by liGo

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value for a versatile telephone, 8 July 2011
I was after a telephone answering machine that, unlike my previous Panasonic model, would allow us to see the number of messages (old and new) that were waiting for us at a glance. I also wanted a device that would, through Caller Display, give clear details of incoming callers and a forensic list of accepted and missed incoming and outgoing calls. I also wanted a telephone that would allow for granular configuration with regard to volumes and ringtones for all scenarios as well as a whole host of other requirements.

This Siemens Gigaset telephone not only provided me with what I needed but I was able to buy it for £25.99. This is incredible value and I highly recommend this product.

Russell Hobbs 15071  9 L  3-Tier White Food Steamer
Russell Hobbs 15071 9 L 3-Tier White Food Steamer

4.0 out of 5 stars Ideal for the job, 4 July 2011
We bought this steamer to replace our existing Tefal appliance, which had stopped working. This Russell Hobbs item is ideal in that it steams our food exactly how we want it without fuss and without fanfare. The timer is manual and I actually prefer that to a digital version - less to go wrong I suppose. There is plenty of room in the three baskets and a suitably large aperture to pour the water into thus negating any need to remove baskets to top it up.
The only downside is that you have to be careful when removing the lid as it is possible to suffer scalding, albeit minor. My advice is to use oven gloves or a tea towel. It is only this point that precludes me from giving it five stars. Otherwise, I highly recommend it.

5m 3.5mm Jack to 2 x RCA Cable - Premium Quality / 24k Gold Plated / Audio / Stereo / Male to Male - by World of Data�
Offered by World of Data Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Great quality, 7 April 2011
I have this cable connected from my Sony TV to my Panasonic Hi-Fi (via the "music port") and it just simply works. A great cable at a very reasonable price.

Solwise 85Mbps Homeplug Adapter - Twin Pack
Solwise 85Mbps Homeplug Adapter - Twin Pack

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect alternative to a wireless solution, 10 Feb. 2011
I have a Sony TV that I use to watch BBC iPlayer now and again. I had intended to do this by spending about £70 on Sony's proprietary USB dongle and connect to my wireless router. However, the reports on the dongle or more pertinently its wireless performance were not favourable. Also, my router is 'non-N', which may not help matters.

Some of the people whose comments on this dongle I had read had recommended the Solwise Homeplug adapter (twin pack) and, buoyed by their positive reviews and the price (not much over £40 at the time) I decided to purchase this item. It took me no more than a minute to connect my TV to the internet and to start watching iPlayer. I was thoroughly impressed.

The package contains the two plugs, two Ethernet cables and a CD. I have not used the CD as I am not bothered about reconfiguring the Homeplug network (i.e. naming the 'network' etc.). I plugged one of the plugs into a socket near my router, connected the plug to the router with one of the Ethernet cables then did the same with the other plug near the TV. The resulting connection provides perfect viewing of programmes over the internet and the inherent problems suffered by employing a wireless solution (i.e. broken connections) do not exist.

One slight concern is the fact that the plugs do get warm but then so do a lot of plugs of this ilk and I do not consider this to be a problem, hence the five stars. Of course, these plugs will come in useful for many other situations - e.g. using laptops where the wireless connection to the router may be dodgy.

In conclusion, these plugs are brilliant, they give my TV a solid connection to the internet and I recommend this product highly.

SuperLED Metal 41/21 Dual Mode LED Torch Flashlight with Alkaline Batteries
SuperLED Metal 41/21 Dual Mode LED Torch Flashlight with Alkaline Batteries
Offered by Sourcing4U Limited

5.0 out of 5 stars Big light from a small torch, 10 Feb. 2011
A superb torch for the price and size. It feels chunky and solid and emits a very bright light that extends quite a way out. I was able to see the whole of my back garden with it. The fact that it uses four of the ubiquitous AAA batteries is also a big selling point and will extend the usefulness of this torch for many years to come.

After trying various poor-performing rechargeable torches, this non-rechargeable item produces a lot of light and is a joy to use. I recommend it highly.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 7, 2012 4:11 PM BST

Silverline 999666 Rechargeable Torch 1 Million Candle Power 1 Million
Silverline 999666 Rechargeable Torch 1 Million Candle Power 1 Million

1.0 out of 5 stars Battery discharges too quickly, 5 Feb. 2011
The power of the torch is very good, throwing a good amount of light over a good distance. It illuminated our garden very well. However, it is completely let down by its inability to hold power for any decent amount of time. Despite numerous discharges and recharging, the light always dims (and susbsequently disappears) after no more than 15 minutes. This is very poor and negates the benefits gleaned from the good features of the torch. I have now thrown the torch away and I recommend that you do not purchase it.

Kidde 0230 BSI Battery Premium Range Carbon Monoxide Alarm with Digital Display
Kidde 0230 BSI Battery Premium Range Carbon Monoxide Alarm with Digital Display
Offered by Plumbing Supermarket

5.0 out of 5 stars It simply does the job, 16 Jan. 2011
This alarm is simple to use and easy to understand - not that there is a lot to it. It just sits there and does the job it's supposed to do. It can sit on a table quite comfortably or you can fix it to a wall.
My last CO detector was a Kidde as well and it lasted over seven years. This model looks more robust and I have high hopes for it!

Friendliness
Friendliness

5.0 out of 5 stars Great reissue of a fine collection of music., 4 July 2010
This review is from: Friendliness (Audio CD)
The band themselves may have been disappointed with the sound quality of this album but then it proves that Stackridge have high standards as I can hear nothing wrong here at all. In fact, the tracks sound particularly crisp and fresh on this CD and showcase the band's mixture of styles wonderfully well.

The inclusion of bonus tracks, including the brilliant "Purple Spaceships Over Yatton", make for a superb Beatle-eqsue, folky, zany gathering of musical sounds and is in keeping with all of this wonderful band's output.

Wizzard Brew
Wizzard Brew

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb album showcasing Roy Wood's musical panache, 4 July 2010
This review is from: Wizzard Brew (Audio CD)
I first bought this album on vinyl upon its release in 1973 on the strength of the sterling work that Roy Wood had done with ELO (who he co-founded with Jeff Lynne) and The Move before that. Indeed, traces of the wonderful experimental, prog-classic rock of ELO's debut can be heard on some of the tracks within, notably "Wear A Fast Gun".

The rock 'n' roll based tracks transcend from mere Showaddywaddy tribute treatment to an exciting blend of 50s pastiche and psychedelia. However, the best track is the 13-minute classic that is "Meet Me At The Jailhouse". I would describe it as prog-jazz-metal but there is more here besides. Its hard rock riff underpins some wonderful brass and changes in time signatures to keep you interested right to the very last fading cello.

And then there are the bonus tracks. What a collection. The nod-to-Zeppelin "You Got The Jump On Me", the jazzy "Bend Over Beethoven" and the harpsichord-dominated "The Carlsberg Special" are tracks I never get sick of listening to - and they sound much better than my scratchy vinyl 7" b-sides! However, I could do without the inclusion of their A-sides ("Ball Park Incident" aside) as these tracks represent the familiar, commercial side of Wizzard. I always preferred their b-sides and this album, a collection of music that is organically brilliant and criminally underrated.

Sandisk SDSDB-002G-B35 - SD 2GB
Sandisk SDSDB-002G-B35 - SD 2GB

5.0 out of 5 stars Reliable Card, 24 April 2010
This review is from: Sandisk SDSDB-002G-B35 - SD 2GB
There's not a lot to say about this product other than it does the job perfectly. By that I mean it stores data and music and never fails! This is all I want out of an SD card. However, the price was attractive and, coupled with the brand name, this is why I bought it.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5