Profile for Linda Lee > Reviews

Content by Linda Lee

Linda Lee (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
FAIR TRADE PERUVIAN TRADITIONAL INCA OCARINA WHISTLE FLUTE (Blue)
FAIR TRADE PERUVIAN TRADITIONAL INCA OCARINA WHISTLE FLUTE (Blue)

3.0 out of 5 stars Pretty but not practical, 18 Mar. 2014
I chose this for my grandson who was keen to have an ocarina. It is very decorative but sadly, almost impossible to play! I think anyone buying this should be aware that it is really made for the tourist market and that if someone wants to learn to play the ocarina, the simple plastic ones are better for beginners. With this terracotta one, all you can really do is try to pick out a few different notes, but there is no logical playing system at all and the sound quality is poor. We have kept it because it is pretty but we have bought another one to play!

Mr Men & Little Miss Collection - Volume 3 [2004] [DVD]
Mr Men & Little Miss Collection - Volume 3 [2004] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Arthur Lowe
Offered by Discountdiscs-UK : Dispatched daily from the UK.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great collection of stories!, 17 Jun. 2013
This is a great collection - the series narrated by Arthur Lowe and by John Alderton and Pauline Collins, plus a Christmas special. These original ones are so much better than the 'updated' stories - my little granddaughter loves them!

Arthur Lowe has an excellent and very clear style of narration and Pauline Collins and John Alderton produce an astonishing variety of voices. The favourites here are Little Miss Naughty and Mr Bump! If your child enjoys the original books, s/he will love this collection.

Knit Your Socks On Straight
Knit Your Socks On Straight
by Alice Curtis
Edition: Spiral-bound

4.0 out of 5 stars Some great patterns..., 17 Jun. 2013
I have never mastered knitting on four needles (despite many attempts!) so I thought this book was definitely meant for me! There are some great patterns for a variety of socks, with good clear explanations of the techniques involved and it is beautifully produced with excellent illustrations. It is an American publication, so UK knitters will need to convert the terminology, wool weights, needle sizes and so on.

I do have just one concern about this book - I have tried out two patterns so far and both have contained errors. One could be a simple typo (knit 3 rows when you actually need to knit 13) but the other is more complicated - a mistake in the instructions for the toe shaping, which needs a bit of recalculating to sort it out. This could be confusing and frustrating for a novice knitter.

That said, I am enjoying trying out the patterns and the ideas for the shaping and the seaming needed to knit socks on two needles are very clever.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 12, 2013 11:14 AM BST

A Presumption of Death
A Presumption of Death
by Jill Paton Walsh

4.0 out of 5 stars Intriguing story, well-told., 2 April 2013
This review is from: A Presumption of Death (Paperback)
Not a five star read but worth four, I think - Jill Paton Walsh certainly has a 'feel' for Dorothy Sayers' dialogue, though not her skill with descriptions.

Thrones, Dominations
Thrones, Dominations
by Dorothy L Sayers

4.0 out of 5 stars Not vintage DL Sayers but very close..., 2 April 2013
This review is from: Thrones, Dominations (Paperback)
I enjoyed this - there were a few occasions when I thought, 'Lord Peter wouldn't have said that!' but still a good read.

(Pifco) Washable Heated Double Underblanket (PE110)
(Pifco) Washable Heated Double Underblanket (PE110)

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good electric blanket, 2 April 2013
Ordered this on behalf of friends - they're absolutely delighted with it and asked me to order another one straightaway - the best recommendation, I think!

LEGO The Lord of the Rings 9476: The Orc Forge
LEGO The Lord of the Rings 9476: The Orc Forge
Offered by jasonr1988

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Lego set, 2 April 2013
I bought this for my grandson's 9th birthday. He loves it, as he is a fan of both Lego and the Lord of the Rings films. A well-designed fun product.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars It's black printer ink..., 2 Mar. 2013
...so it's hard to get too excited about it! However, it's fine - does what it says on the tin. Easy to load and gives good results.

Cat's Eye Marbles - 50 in a bag + spares (against damage)
Cat's Eye Marbles - 50 in a bag + spares (against damage)
Offered by Simply Direct ltd

4.0 out of 5 stars An old-fashioned toy?, 11 Nov. 2012
My grandsons asked for some marbles recently and I thought it would be easy to find them in the local shops. Wrong! I don't know whether they are seen as an old-fashioned toy or if Health and Safety issues have worried modern parents, but not a single shop in my town stocks them. I was very pleased to find them so easily available online and these packs are excellent value. My only minor criticism would be that the mesh bags are very flimsy and prone to spill the marbles all over the floor!

Marbles are a fun toy and can be endlessly sorted, counted, rolled etc as well as combined with other toys - plenty of play value!

Original Remote Control RC1101-black for PVR/DTR (freeview recorders) Akura, Alba, Digihome, Dual, Durabrand, Evesham, Goodmans, Grundig, Hitachi, Luxor, Maplin, ONN, Sharp, Technika, Techwood, Wharfedale.
Offered by cherrypickelectronics

5.0 out of 5 stars Remote control, 19 Oct. 2012
I bought this as an exact copy of the one I already use, which - infuriatingly! - has stopped working. It is exactly what I wanted, completely compatible with my TV/freeview box and is a very good buy which has saved my sanity!! Good value.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3