Profile for Finch > Reviews

Content by Finch

Finch "Finch" (Tyne and Wear, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Forty 2 Days (Billionaire Banker Series)
Forty 2 Days (Billionaire Banker Series)
Price: 1.79

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth a read!, 27 Jan 2014
I read the first book last week then this one today. I wasn't sure about the first book, I felt that as a19 year old, Lana wouldn't say or do a lot of the things the author made her do but I stuck with the book and when I saw the sequel was released I thought I'd give it a whirl. To me it's as though the author has found her stride and felt more comfortable writing this book, as though she knows her characters now and felt happier fleshing them out. I hate it when I read spoilers so suffice to say that the ending was surprising and abrupt but I think that the third book should be the last and she should be able to tie it up neatly in the 170 or so pages she usually devotes to the story. I like that it's not just about a billionaire who romances a girl from the wrong side of the tracks and the story has a couple of twists but I hope the author doesn't get too bogged down in the twists and turns rather than focussing on the love story. For me it's a bonus these days to read a book that isn't littered with typos and although there are a few there weren't so many that they annoyed me.

SimpleHuman Chromed Steel Precision Soap Pump BT1056
SimpleHuman Chromed Steel Precision Soap Pump BT1056
Offered by Ideabright Ltd
Price: 20.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Looks the part but it's let down by the component parts, 14 Dec 2013
I bought this and the toothbrush holder because I thought they were unusual to look at but served a purpose. On first inspection I thought I'd been sent a dud because it is very clearly not made of steel throughout. The only part that is is the bit at the top with the moving mechanism. The rest is cheap plastic rubbish painted silver. I was even more underwhelmed by the soap chamber. I couldn't work out at first how to open it but eventually I realised you slide open a piece of the absolute 'naffest', cheap crappy plastic that I'm sure won't stand the test of time in a family home. I was on the verge of sending it back but decided to keep it for the look of it rather than the durability of it. This will probably be a mistake and I'll end up replacing it in a couple of years. I would save your money and buy something else.

Annihilate Me (Vol. 1) (The Annihilate Me Series)
Annihilate Me (Vol. 1) (The Annihilate Me Series)
Price: 0.77

3.0 out of 5 stars Baffled, 21 Oct 2013
In short I generally enjoyed this book. I have gone on to read the other two in quick succession so yes, I would say that they held my interest. I do need to get something off my chest though. Jennifer is a smart woman. She has her MBA, is a self confessed business junky so one would expect her to research the companies she interviews for. So with that in mind why didn't she recognise Alex Wenn in the lift? Or again when she was given the second opportunity to interview and meet with him, why didn't she Google him as she so obviously hadn't researched properly the first time. He's worth $3bn and she doesn't even look him up? Now I know the author has to get the hook on the storyline but when they had their first business dinner she was on fire suggesting how to win the Stavros business and made it clear to Alex that she was ready and more than willing to use her MBA qualification and of course she knew all about Stavros. It just made the rest of her personal development a bit of a sham.

Fitzwilliam Darcy, Rock Star
Fitzwilliam Darcy, Rock Star
Price: 5.86

2.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't get away with this book at all, 29 Sep 2013
I started reading this book thinking that the author took an unusual approach to introducing the reader to 'her' characters and thought it had all the necessary ingredients to draw me in, alas not on this occasion, for several reasons. There was far too much emphasis on the blossoming relationships and not enough on the rocking. I wanted to be convinced that the two groups were really into their music and sometimes I got that but mostly it fell flat and short of the mark. The author gave the girls alternative coloured hair and clothes and gave us the impression the boys had had more support bands than hot dinners making us think they were badass rockers who didn't give a damn but the characters at times were anachronistic and it didn't sit well with the 21st century protagonists she attempted to portray. They said stuff like Dearest brother, dearest love, I ardently adore you and while I don't object to this prose per se this kind of language was too flowery to be associated with bad boy rockers. Was the author attempting to link her characters with the original? The only character I believed in was Charlotte but she took a back seat to the two sisters. I have really tried to finish this book but there's a quarter left and I can't bring myself to do it. I just don't care enough and don't want to make the commitment

The Edge of Never
The Edge of Never

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely fantastic,grab the tissues, 1 Jan 2013
This review is from: The Edge of Never (Kindle Edition)
The tv over Christmas has been so dire that all I've been doing is reading, 3 books yesterday alone. I started to read this book at 6am this morning, reading most of today until completing it about an hour ago. I am telling you this because you will need to be able to dedicate 12 hours of your life to this book once you pick it up and I absolutely urge you to do it. I became totally absorbed to the exclusion of life around me and this author writes with such intensity that you fall under her spell immediately. I won't give the plot away but suffice to say that I have NEVER cried so much whilst reading a book as I did with this one. It wasn't until the reveal was almost upon me that I realised what it was and although it's best that you don't scrutinise the plotline too much it's a breathtakingly beautiful story and I will be recommending it to anyone who will listen.

Hopeless
Hopeless

4.0 out of 5 stars Colleen does it again, 30 Dec 2012
This review is from: Hopeless (Kindle Edition)
Loved this book,there are so many twists and turns you will be dizzy at the end. Like so many of the other reviewers I read it in double quick time, starting at 6.30 this morning and reading on and off during the day.I won't give the plot away but I can guarantee there will be surprises along the way. I will just say though that when boy meets girl outside his house and he indicates this by way of pointing out the name on the mailbox, do you think this would be the case because later in the book he mentions he has a stepfather (in the airfield scene), so surely his name would be on the mailbox? For that reason it will be 4 stars from me but the story itself is delectable and definitely worth reading

Beautiful Disaster
Beautiful Disaster
Price: 3.98

5.0 out of 5 stars What a pair ..., 28 Dec 2012
Until FSOG I was a fan of zombie/vampire/time travel type books and I was a voracious reader, cramming when I could. Since reading FSOG trilogy more times than would be wise to admit to,I have been taking recommendations from Amazon and a colleague at work who is also a Christian/Gideon fan. I read this book starting BoXing Day evening when I went to bed at 10 pm, read until 3am, woke up at 5.30am, read until my eyes teared up at 7.30 and completed the book. Had a couple more hours sleep and when I got up, I read it all over again. I absolutely loved it. I am 50 year old happily married woman but reading contemporary romance takes me back to when my husband and I were young and discovering love the hard way. I guess I was reading the self published version because there were a lot of typo' s but the essence of the story was wonderfully written and so bittersweet at times that you wanted to shake both Abby and Travis, particularly Abby because although the author alluded to her background and why she had to leave it all behind I didn't think it warranted all the heartache. I thought she could definitely write a sequel, covering the fallout from the fire, what happens next,will Abby get a job to go support them now they are married, will she relent and allow Travis to fight in Vegas but I have now discovered there is a companion book written from Travis' POV and more books about his brothers so I guess I will just have to sit tight and wait with everybody else. Go ahead and try it, you won' t be disappointed

Cream net bow fascinator with satin rose set on head band. Ideal for weddings, races and other special occasions.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cheap but looked the part, 8 Jun 2012
I was looking for a fascinator to wear for a friend's wedding and bought this one because the silk rose matched the rose in my satin shoes. As the price was so cheap compared to the likes of Debenhams and Kaliko etc I wasn't expecting much but it totally exceeded my expectations. Ok, the quality maybe wasn't as good as Debenhams but it matched what I was wearing and I was complimented on it so that's good enough for me.

Roberts MP43 Sound 43 CD/DAB/FM Digital Sound System with Dock for iPod-Black
Roberts MP43 Sound 43 CD/DAB/FM Digital Sound System with Dock for iPod-Black
Price: 169.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, 18 May 2012
My husband bought this (or maybe an earlier version but it's still the same radio, this is a cautionary review) as a Christmas present in 2009 so it's just over 2 years old., I can't give you a 'techy' review but what I can say is that it sounded great, it occasionally lost radio frequency but I would adjust the radio position or aerial and it would be fine again. I am writing this now, 2 years after the purchase because a couple of weeks ago I noticed there were three amber lights flashing on and off and the radio wouldn't switch on. My husband got in touch with Roberts who kindly provided their courier account so we returned it FOC for them to look at. When my husband spoke to them the guy said it sounded like the control panel had gone. Anyway, we received a letter yesterday advising us that it would cost us 79 for them to fix it. What? I'm on Amazon now because I wanted to see what else was out there because in my opinion this is excessively high. They also said that if we didn't respond within a certain timeframe they would dispose of the radio, which I guess they would have to do otherwise it would be a radio graveyard down there. That's all I wanted to say really, as I said earlier, this is a cautionary review and before you make the leap and spend over 200 of your hard earned cash you might want to balance the otherwise sparkling reviews of this product with my own bad experience.

The Passage
The Passage
by Justin Cronin

4.0 out of 5 stars Persevere, it is worth it in the end, 18 Sep 2011
This review is from: The Passage (Hardcover)
I bought this book to replace a library book I left behind somewhere between the airport and my hotel whilst on holiday. I took a couple of weeks to read it and would say that for a post apocalyptic novel it hit the spot, mostly. I think it meandered through the plot some of the time and I felt the author didn't draw the character's as well as he could have done, given the length of the book. I did persevere though and made it to the end of the book and will read the second book in the trilogy when it's released.

Page: 1 | 2