Profile for Geoffrey Harrison > Reviews

Content by Geoffrey Harrison

Geoffrey Harrison "Geoff" (UK)

Page: 1 | 2
TurboCollage
TurboCollage
Price: 1.49

1.0 out of 5 stars Only works with local storage, 17 Mar 2014
This review is from: TurboCollage (App)
App does not work with cloud based storage, which is where most of my photos are. It's a bit of an issue expecting someone to download any pictures wanted for a collage.

Man Of Steel (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack)
Man Of Steel (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack)
Price: 6.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Another triumph of a great talent, 17 Mar 2014
This is full to the brim of fantastic music by my favourite composer of movie soundtracks. Just can't get enough of Summer's music.

Murder in Baldur's Gate (Sundering adventure, 1) (D&d Adventure)
Murder in Baldur's Gate (Sundering adventure, 1) (D&d Adventure)
by Ed Greenwood
Edition: Game
Price: 20.40

4.0 out of 5 stars Great module, well designed., 17 Mar 2014
This appears to be a very well designed adventure module.

I've read the adventure book (32 pages) cover to cover and run through a couple of potential scenarios - without players - just to see how it plays. I have to say that I am impressed and I would heartily recommend this module to others.

One of the great features is the lack of it being tied to any particular version. The product states it supports 3.5e, 4e and Next but I reckon with very little effort from a DM you could even use this with earlier editions of D&D.

There are no maps supplied with this that could be used for mini's based play, but I think that's not a failing. I think that if the maps had been included then you are effectively forced to push the payers to certain locations. This, I think, is one of the biggest issues with modules prior to this publication. I like to give my layers a sense of freedom and a bigger sense that the world does not revolve stone the players but that events occur whether they are directly involved or not. MiBG epitomises that freedom perfectly for me. Making my own maps - pursuing on the fly - is not that big of a deal anyhow.

ACER Aspire 5920, Laptop Internal Hard Drive 500GB, 7200rpm, 16MB
ACER Aspire 5920, Laptop Internal Hard Drive 500GB, 7200rpm, 16MB
Offered by Xtreme_Drives
Price: 49.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what says on the tin ..., 3 Feb 2014
Absolutely superb service from the vendor.

Initially they were very kind and sent me a larger drive than advertised. Unfortunately this one had issues and so I returbed it. The vendor didn't quibble and promptly sent me a replacement.

Replacement HD is perfect. Works exactly as expected and has lent new life to my ageing 9 year old laptop.

My only criticism would be on the packaging. Its a little on the flimsy side for such a precision piece of equipment.

Flight 404
Flight 404
Price: 1.91

4.0 out of 5 stars A great read, 30 Jun 2013
This review is from: Flight 404 (Kindle Edition)
This was a slightly deceptive book. The cover initially really put me off, but it kept showing up on my Kindle app as a recomendation. Eventually I relented, I looked at the synopsis and I am glad I did.

The synopsis is:

"To solve the mystery of the Bougainvillaea's disappearance, investigator/pilot Charmain Mertz must return to the conservative world of her boyhood."

That got me intrigued. I decided to ignore the cover.

The book is narrated in first person, which is a format I quite like, but at first this was slightly confusing when the narrative turned to simulated conversations between the protagonist and her android.

There is a limited cast in the story, which can lead to a claustrophobic tale at times. I think this added to the fact that the protagonist was flying solo through the blackness of space.

All of the physics used were very good and well thought out using what appears to be realistic details (I'm not a physicist) and is one of the really great parts of the story.

The Forever Gate - Part One
The Forever Gate - Part One
Price: 0.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Intriguing and compelling, 28 April 2013
This is a great story and the author is following the recent trend of shorter, serialised releases. What this means for the reader is that you end up with a book that is quick to read, and one that could give a satisfying conclusion and/or cliffhanger, which will then lead them onto the next one in the series.

The synopsis for this book lead me to believe it was set in the far future ... "3740 A.D.". But there is no indication of the timeline. There is a vague hint of the timeline near to the end, but still no specifics.

For the story itself, it appears that Hoodwink, the protagonist, is not destined to live long at the start of the story but fate plays a hand. Hoodwink is then sent on a quest to help the oppressors of their society, the "gols".

The wider world in which Hoodwink lives is hinted at with ease and shows there is much to learn about this environment. There are four more in the series and I am looking forward to completing them all.

WARNING: SPOILER: The events towards the end the story are reminiscent of "The Matrix" but this, "The Forever Gate", is better done I think.

Emerald City Blues
Emerald City Blues
Price: 2.05

5.0 out of 5 stars Utterly brilliant, 14 April 2013
At first I was fooled into thinking it was a standard noir detective genre tale, but then there were hints at something labelled The Art by the protagonist.

It was also unusual because the gumshoe in question is a woman; something new for me at least in this genre. In my opinion this is one of the elements that lifts this book above others in this category.

One downside, and possibly a great attraction too, was the length. It was quite short. On one hand this is great because I was able to get to the climax of this excellent story very quickly. On the other hand, I wanted to know more about this world and the people within it.

SPOILER: Only a slight one but as more of The Art is revealed through the tale and the antagonists are introduced, there is a hint of a twist. For me it was fairly obvious what the twist was, but that DID NOT detract from the enjoyment of this story at all.

Jezebel (The Problem Master Book 1)
Jezebel (The Problem Master Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Intrigue, mystical beings and aliens, 1 April 2013
This is a great short story that adds background details to the mysterious antagonist of another of the authors books - Advent Dragon: Venus Rising.

It shows that the character in question is not all bad and obviously motivated by higher powers and a quest to help mankind.

The Shadow of Black Wings (The Year of the Dragon, Book 1)
The Shadow of Black Wings (The Year of the Dragon, Book 1)
Price: 0.77

4.0 out of 5 stars Steampunk, dragons and magic!, 1 April 2013
This is an interesting tale of a young lad just fresh out of college and setting out in the world.

Its an alternate Victorian history story with magic and dragons and steampunk technology.

Let's start with the not so good:

- There are some occasions where the wrong words have been used. To be fair to the author, this book is written in English but he's from Poland and there are only a few (probably about half a dozen). It's a minor niggle really but it is one of the things that stopped this being a 5 star review. These sort of mistakes really pull me out of the story... so I had to mention it.

- There is a large break in the tale, or at least that's what it feels like to me, between the time something that occurs to the protagonist and him reappearing in the story. However, and this is the bit I didn't like, I get the impression that the gap between the event and his reappearance is meant to be instantaneous. It feels disjointed to me so I struggled with it for a spell.

- There are so many words to learn. I found myself repeating character and place names - a lot - to get them into my head. And that was every time I saw the words written.

What did I like:

Solid world building. I can relate to the world but I know its not where I am from, even though really it is. I can see where the inspiration for each country, and their associated populace came from.

Great characters that I could visualise every time they were focused upon in the story.

Intriguing take on a magic system with solid mechanics behind it.

Dragons! (that's all I'll say on the matter)

I really enjoyed reading this book and I have already recommended it to friends.

Weirdo Company: Zombies vs Unicorns
Weirdo Company: Zombies vs Unicorns
Price: 0.77

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 3 Dec 2012
Having read an earlier title by this author (The Box) I knew this would be a good read.

I don't normally go for zombie fiction because I feel there are too many cliches with the genre. However, with this tale the author has neatly stayed away from that element for the most part. Although the source of the zombie outbreak is not something new I do like the way it was done.

The setting of an elite unit of marines dealing with the fantastical is a great move. The inclusion of unicorns is genius!

Unfortunately for me the ending felt a bit rushed and would have probably meant a five star review if that were not the case.

Having said that there is a lot to like. And did I mention unicorns? :-)

Page: 1 | 2