Profile for Geoffrey Harrison > Reviews

Content by Geoffrey Harrison

Geoffrey Harrison "Geoff" (UK)

Page: 1 | 2
The Blood Witch (The Blood Reign Chronicles Book 1)
The Blood Witch (The Blood Reign Chronicles Book 1)

2.0 out of 5 stars Confusing, 11 Aug 2014
This is OK, But that is all I can say about it unfortunately. I have not been able to get to the end of the book.

Why?

Many reasons really. But the main reason was the story jumps between many different events and groups that I found it hard to keep up.

ORICO 2.5 inch USB 3.0 Hard Drive Disk HDD External Enclosure / Case for 9.5mm 7mm 2.5" SATA HDD and SSD, Tool-free HDD Installation Compatible With Windows 2000/Windows Me/Windows 98/ XP /Vista/ 7/ 8, Mac OS 9.1/10.8.4 above
Offered by Inateck

Amazon Music
Amazon Music

2.0 out of 5 stars Two Stars, 10 Aug 2014
This review is from: Amazon Music (App)
Constantly crashes

The Whirlwind in the Thorn Tree: Vol 1 & 2 Box Set (The Outlaw King)
The Whirlwind in the Thorn Tree: Vol 1 & 2 Box Set (The Outlaw King)

5.0 out of 5 stars A well written and exciting story, 10 Aug 2014
This is probably one of the best books I've read this year.

Narration of the story is mostly in the first person, which is my favourite and what I tend to write in myself. There are a couple of sections where the narration slips into third person, but there is an explanation for this change given within the context of the story.

The story centres on a man who has just left the US Army and goes home. Things start very badly for him and only get worse. He is an aspiring author with some minor success. However, after his father's funeral, where he is coerced in to taking up finishing the latest book in his father's fantasy novel series events start to overtake him and he is dragged into the fantasy world created by his father. The fantasy world is actually real and seemingly at risk of destruction.

This was an excellent start to a very promising series. The writing is a breath of fresh air, and the characters are so believable. I was able to connect with all of the main characters and I'm really looking forward to the rest of the series.

TurboCollage
TurboCollage

1.0 out of 5 stars Only works with local storage, 17 Mar 2014
This review is from: TurboCollage (App)
App does not work with cloud based storage, which is where most of my photos are. It's a bit of an issue expecting someone to download any pictures wanted for a collage.

Man Of Steel (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack)
Man Of Steel (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack)

5.0 out of 5 stars Another triumph of a great talent, 17 Mar 2014
This is full to the brim of fantastic music by my favourite composer of movie soundtracks. Just can't get enough of Summer's music.

Murder in Baldur's Gate (Sundering adventure, 1) (D&d Adventure)
Murder in Baldur's Gate (Sundering adventure, 1) (D&d Adventure)
by Ed Greenwood
Edition: Game

4.0 out of 5 stars Great module, well designed., 17 Mar 2014
This appears to be a very well designed adventure module.

I've read the adventure book (32 pages) cover to cover and run through a couple of potential scenarios - without players - just to see how it plays. I have to say that I am impressed and I would heartily recommend this module to others.

One of the great features is the lack of it being tied to any particular version. The product states it supports 3.5e, 4e and Next but I reckon with very little effort from a DM you could even use this with earlier editions of D&D.

There are no maps supplied with this that could be used for mini's based play, but I think that's not a failing. I think that if the maps had been included then you are effectively forced to push the payers to certain locations. This, I think, is one of the biggest issues with modules prior to this publication. I like to give my layers a sense of freedom and a bigger sense that the world does not revolve stone the players but that events occur whether they are directly involved or not. MiBG epitomises that freedom perfectly for me. Making my own maps - pursuing on the fly - is not that big of a deal anyhow.

ACER Aspire 5920, Laptop Internal Hard Drive 500GB, 7200rpm, 16MB
ACER Aspire 5920, Laptop Internal Hard Drive 500GB, 7200rpm, 16MB
Offered by Xtreme_Drives

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what says on the tin ..., 3 Feb 2014
Absolutely superb service from the vendor.

Initially they were very kind and sent me a larger drive than advertised. Unfortunately this one had issues and so I returbed it. The vendor didn't quibble and promptly sent me a replacement.

Replacement HD is perfect. Works exactly as expected and has lent new life to my ageing 9 year old laptop.

My only criticism would be on the packaging. Its a little on the flimsy side for such a precision piece of equipment.

Flight 404
Flight 404

4.0 out of 5 stars A great read, 30 Jun 2013
This review is from: Flight 404 (Kindle Edition)
This was a slightly deceptive book. The cover initially really put me off, but it kept showing up on my Kindle app as a recomendation. Eventually I relented, I looked at the synopsis and I am glad I did.

The synopsis is:

"To solve the mystery of the Bougainvillaea's disappearance, investigator/pilot Charmain Mertz must return to the conservative world of her boyhood."

That got me intrigued. I decided to ignore the cover.

The book is narrated in first person, which is a format I quite like, but at first this was slightly confusing when the narrative turned to simulated conversations between the protagonist and her android.

There is a limited cast in the story, which can lead to a claustrophobic tale at times. I think this added to the fact that the protagonist was flying solo through the blackness of space.

All of the physics used were very good and well thought out using what appears to be realistic details (I'm not a physicist) and is one of the really great parts of the story.

The Forever Gate - Part One
The Forever Gate - Part One

4.0 out of 5 stars Intriguing and compelling, 28 April 2013
This is a great story and the author is following the recent trend of shorter, serialised releases. What this means for the reader is that you end up with a book that is quick to read, and one that could give a satisfying conclusion and/or cliffhanger, which will then lead them onto the next one in the series.

The synopsis for this book lead me to believe it was set in the far future ... "3740 A.D.". But there is no indication of the timeline. There is a vague hint of the timeline near to the end, but still no specifics.

For the story itself, it appears that Hoodwink, the protagonist, is not destined to live long at the start of the story but fate plays a hand. Hoodwink is then sent on a quest to help the oppressors of their society, the "gols".

The wider world in which Hoodwink lives is hinted at with ease and shows there is much to learn about this environment. There are four more in the series and I am looking forward to completing them all.

WARNING: SPOILER: The events towards the end the story are reminiscent of "The Matrix" but this, "The Forever Gate", is better done I think.

Page: 1 | 2