Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Amazon Customer (UK)

Monday to Friday Man
Monday to Friday Man

5.0 out of 5 stars I have felt that pebble, 15 April 2013
With an intriguing title and inexpensive to download, 'Monday to Friday Man' could have been simply an easy read, quickly forgotten, but I really enjoyed it. Well written, it is often funny and sometimes heartbreakingly sad.

Jilted just two weeks before her wedding, Gilly feels life is passing her by and contemplates running away to live in the country. Wisdom from an unexpected source makes her rethink her plans. Loved by her fractured family and supported by her dog-walking friends and neighbours, Gilly rebuilds her life, two steps forward, one step back. Can she ever follow her dreams and find true happiness?

A great story that has me wondering how Gilly is getting on even now, days after I finished reading about her.

My favourite quotation from this book is:

"Her memory is like a pebble in my shoe. There are some days when I know it's there but I can live with it. Other times it's so sharp that it digs and cuts into my skin, my foot bleeds and I can't walk on. I have to stop because I'm crying unexpectedly."

I know that I have felt that pebble!

The Half-Life Of Hannah
The Half-Life Of Hannah

2.0 out of 5 stars Unbelievable, 11 April 2013
I began reading this book with my usual anticipation of a good read.

Two sisters, with very different life-styles, are sharing a holiday villa in the South of France, together with their children, (one of each) one husband and a male long-time friend. The stage is set for an interesting read. For me it never quite happened.

I found it hard to believe any of the characters, they were all shallow and two-dimensional. I didn't like any of them and they didn't really seem to like each other much either. They shared history and yet that didn't come across for me. They seemed to flit around each other rather than really interact except to row or fight. Yes, families row, but where was the family shorthand? Where were the shared remembered jokes from childhood? I just wanted the characters to be more rounded.

This book would benefit from some serious proofreading.
(It should be noted that I read this book on my Kindle. I acknowledge that the many proofreading errors may have been amended for the hard copy.)

The first jarring note was to be found on the Acknowledgements page immediately following thanks to the 'Eagle-eyed copy-editing skills' of his editor, Mr Alexander thanks his 'framily (sic) for being there'.

About a quarter of the way through the book I stopped reading this book altogether, indeed, had it been a book and not my beloved Kindle I would have thrown it across the room in disgust. When the husband 'takes Stig Larson to the hammock with him but immediately falls asleep, the novel spread across his chest.' I wanted to scream on Stieg Larsson's behalf!

After a day I decided to be fair to Mr Alexander and pursue the rest of the story - I should not allow proofreading errors to cloud my judgement. After all, there was the premise of a good story in this book, so I took up my Kindle and continued to the end.

Unfortunately, for me it just never quite worked. I just didn't like the characters enough to care what happened to them.

Sealed with a Kiss
Sealed with a Kiss

5.0 out of 5 stars Icy cold and beautifully written, 8 April 2013
This novel is perfect for reading snuggled up against the cold.

Since University, Kate has been plodding along taking temporary jobs and living with her steady, maybe even staid, boyfriend.
When the relationship ends she finds herself relieved rather than heart-broken.

Instead of going home and moping, Kate answers an advertisement for a Girl Friday on a remote Scottish island - a perfect escape from real life - and her adventures begin...

The island of Auchenmor is stunning but in an icy, cold-blast way and quickly gets under Kate's skin. The wildlife is beautifully observed. The characters in this novel are well-crafted, they each have a history - as real people do - but as in reality, we don't discover them all. Before long Kate is questioning where her real life ought to be.

This book is perfect bath-time escapism but it is also perfect for anyone who has ever wondered what they might achieve if challenged.

I look forward to reading more from Rachael Lucas.

I loved it!

Return to Eden (The Soulkeepers Series Book 3)
Return to Eden (The Soulkeepers Series Book 3)

5.0 out of 5 stars All Hell Broke Loose, 5 April 2013
The third novel in 'The Soulkeepers Series', 'Return to Eden' is laced with intriguing twists.

We are introduced to more Soulkeepers.
We are given a glimpse or two of Paradise.
We are reminded that 'the course of true love never did run smooth'.

Our young (and not so young) friends develop into rounder, more complex characters.
Very difficult dilemmas need to be faced head-on, with potentially fatal consequences.
The battle lines are drawn and all hell lets loose!
Which side will triumph?
Can there be any happy outcome?

GP Ching is a mistress of subtle description. The characters and views are clear in her mind. Reading these novels, I was able to imagine the characters on celluloid - necessarily played by actors. The books would easily translate to animated film or graphic novel any takers for this project?

I look forward to reading the 4th novel of this series.

Weaving Destiny (The Soulkeepers Series Book 2)
Weaving Destiny (The Soulkeepers Series Book 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars 'Destiny is a fabric woven from our choices', 29 Mar 2013
Weaving Destiny is the second of G.P.Ching's 'The Soulkeepers' Series.

Following on very quickly after 'The Soulcatcher', 'Weaving Destiny' opens up the arena so that the action can move beyond small town Paris, Illinois.

Jacob's Mum, Lillian, is back in his life.
Jacob's resentful cousin, Katrina, has her part to play.
Jacob's erstwhile enemy, Dane, has become a friend and ally.
Gideon and Dr Silva are here too along with some new and intriguing characters.

The real star of this book is Malini. She comes to prominence as she struggles to discover who she is.
Don't worry - no spoilers here!)

There are surprises - perhaps the best being the ones the teenagers discover about their forebears. Maybe parents know a thing or two after all!

I think my favourite quotes are:

'Destiny is not a place that we navigate to like a pinpoint on a map. Destiny is a fabric woven from our choices. It is the cloak we wear every day and the shroud that covers us in our death. You can't wait for destiny to find you. You make it yourself.' (Jim Gupta, Malini's father.)

'Destiny is a fabric woven from our choices. (Malini)She thought about the sari she'd worn on the other side, made out of the experiences of her ancestors. In a way, all of their choices had helped her. All of their lives had created who she was and given her guidance when she needed it most.'

I loved this book, I read it in one day. I'm off to read 'Return to Eden'. I can't wait to find out what happens next...

The Soulkeepers (The Soulkeepers Series Book 1)
The Soulkeepers (The Soulkeepers Series Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Clever, contemporary allegory, 28 Mar 2013
I downloaded this coming of age story as a Kindle free book on the recommendation of my daughter. I don't regret it at all.

Jacob Lau is 15 and facing all the usual trials and tribulations of teenage life when his world is turned upside-down by an accident which lands him in hospital unable to remember clearly what happened to his mother who has disappeared without a trace.

He is taken in by his closest relatives - an uncle, aunt and cousin about whom he knew nothing and moves from Hawaii to small-town Paris, Illinois.

Life will never be the same again.

His cousin resents him.
He makes more enemies than friends at school.
He hates being trapped in this life when he wants to be looking for his mother.

Following a meltdown, he finds himself working for the mysterious Dr Silva and his life takes a completely unexpected turn. He finds himself embroiled in a battle between good and evil... who will win?

This is an amazing, contemporary allegory, well written and gripping. As soon as I had finished it I bought the second and third books of the series.

Read it!

Paradise Lost
Paradise Lost

5.0 out of 5 stars A Beautiful book, 7 Mar 2013
This review is from: Paradise Lost (Kindle Edition)
I bought this book, because, well I realised I hadn't read it yet and it was about time I did!
Of course I knew the story, I have known it all my life, but it was good to revisit it and I chose to do this during Lent.

I bought this edition because it looked attractive!
Nathaniel Taylor's illustrations are modern and very beautiful. They certainly added to my reading pleasure of Milton's verses.

I am now off to read Paradise Regained!

The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared
The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared

5.0 out of 5 stars How could I resist?, 7 Mar 2013
Firstly, the title: I mean who could see a title like that and not be intrigued?

This is a funny book, I enjoyed it from the very start - it made me laugh because it is both funny and clever!
Jonas Jonasson weaves a path through the major events of the past century with a very light touch.
The characters are charming even if they might not usually be expected to consort together.

I particularly love the fact that our eponymous hero is a man with a history. Sadly, this is something which is often forgotten by people who meet our elderly folk for the first time when they are, well, old. This book brilliantly illustrates the truth that old people don't notice themselves becoming old, because inside their heads they are still the same as they were when they were in their twenties. Remember this, if you are lucky, you will become old one day too!

Read this book, it is brilliant.

Peaches for Monsieur le Curé
Peaches for Monsieur le Curé

5.0 out of 5 stars I urge you to buy this book., 30 Jun 2012
I follow Joanne Harris on Twitter, so I was very excited some months ago to read one along the lines of:
'Vianne Rocher, Francis Reynaud, you and me in the shed right now, we have unfinished business!'

I loved Chocolat. It was an amazing book full of dark secrets and sweet, and bitter, relationships.
I felt that I had shared a very special time with Vianne.
It was a pleasure to meet up with her again in The Lollipop Shoes, to catch up with her life in the intervening years and share another critical period with her.

Peaches for Monsieur le Cure is just gorgeous.
Joanne Harris writes so sensuously that you can taste and smell the food in her books - and as usual there is plenty!

I will not deprive you of the pleasure of reading, by divulging the plot other than to tease you with the following:

There is a return journey to Lansquenet and reunions with old friends - some more comfortable than others.
New friendships are forged and former rivals unite to try and bring harmony to the village.

I urge you to buy this book. You will not be sorry.