Profile for Six Impossible Things > Reviews

Content by Six Impossible...

Six Impossible Things (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Pride and Prejudice and Zombies: The Classic Regency Romance-now with Ultraviolent Zombie Mayhem! (Quirk Classics)
by Jane Austen

2.0 out of 5 stars Braaains, 1 Feb. 2014
Pride and Prejudice with added zombies seemed like an interesting idea. I went into this book open minded and I am sorry to say I was disappointed. I was expecting a little more than just Pride and Prejudice with a scattering of sentences changed to make them refer to zombies. I might be being overly critical but that's the way it read to me. I gave it two stars because it wasn't awful, it was amusing in places but it just didn't live up to expectations for me.

The Compleat Ankh-Morpork (Discworld Artefact)
The Compleat Ankh-Morpork (Discworld Artefact)
by Terry Pratchett

5.0 out of 5 stars Welcome traveller..., 1 Feb. 2014
This is a wonderful guide to Ankh Morpork. It really helps you flesh out the environment that my beloved Discworld books take place in. It is the kind of book that I like to dip in and out of rather than read cover to cover. There are descriptions of the various guilds, funny vintage looking adverts for the shops and best of all, a number of maps. Any book that gives a map of the work is usually a winner for me!

It is a lovely looking book and is really well illustrated and presented. However, if you are not a Discworld fan then this book is probably not for you.

A Tiny Bit Marvellous
A Tiny Bit Marvellous
by Dawn French

3.0 out of 5 stars Not quite marvellous but entertaining, 12 Feb. 2012
This review is from: A Tiny Bit Marvellous (Hardcover)
This book is written as a series of diary entries from the Battle family; Mum and psychologist Mo, stereotypical teenage daughter Dora, son who thinks he is Oscar Wilde Peter and one time diarist Dad.

The style has Dawn French stamped all over it. It is witty but laid back and I couldn't help reading it and imagining Caroline Quentin playing the lead role in a TV sitcom version of the book.

The book lost stars for me because I felt some of the characters were a bit overdone and some of their actions were a little too obvious. Apart from this, it was an enjoyable, easy read (nothing challenging here) and kept me entertained for a few days.

The Skeleton in the Closet
The Skeleton in the Closet

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, it's ok, 19 Aug. 2011
Having not read any of this kind of "cozy mystery" type books before I wasn't sure what to expect. The result was an easy to read, unchallenging, straightforward mystery story. You won't find anything earth shattering in this book but at the same time it is perfectly readable on a rainy afternoon with a cuppa.

The story follows Fellworth Dolphin after the death of his mother. He comes into money he never knew his parents had and starts to discover that his family has "skeletons in the closet" and, along with his "fiance" Maggie tries to unearth the events connected to his inheritance.

The book loses stars because the plot is fairly predictable and is rushed in some places. I also found Fellworth annoying. He came across as a whiny, petulant, ungrateful person and I found it hard to believe Maggie's constant adoration for him.

It was an OK book and does the job if you want a quick uncomplicated read but it has not inspired me to read any more books by this author.

And Another Thing ... Douglas Adams's Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy: Part Six of Three
by Eoin Colfer

3.0 out of 5 stars and another thing.., 16 Aug. 2011
Well, this is an interesting one. And Another Thing is book 6 of 3 in Douglas Adams' Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy trilogy but written by Eoin Colfer. Attempting to write in the literary voice of another was always going to be difficult, especially one as revered as Douglas Adams but Colfer has done an ok job. All the expected elements are there: Arthur is once again fleeing a version of Earth that is about to be destroyed, lots of improbable events, Vogons and their bad poetry and the book is packed with geeky humour.

I found it a slow read to start with and again at the end but the bit in between felt more like I would expect a H2G2 book to read. The storyline was interesting but was slightly hampered by the huge guide notes which I found much more of a hindrance than in the original books. There was also a bit of a tendency to refer back to previous books which might be helpful if you haven't read them but slightly annoying to others.

Overall, it was alright. I enjoyed reading it but not as much as the previous books so big fans of the series might be a bit disappointed.

Fill-In Paint-doku (Conceptis Puzzles)
Fill-In Paint-doku (Conceptis Puzzles)
by Conceptis Puzzles
Edition: Spiral-bound

5.0 out of 5 stars Cracking puzzles, 6 Aug. 2011
Like the previous reviewer has pointed out these are not Hanjie puzzles but I still find them challenging and fun. They are almost like minesweeper with colouring, in that the numbers in the squares refer to how many of the nine squares around it should be shaded and you work out which ones by a process of elimination.

Like other Conceptis books it is spiral bound which helps get a comfortable shading position.

There are lots of puzzles in this book to keep you busy and they provide an interesting alternative to the usual number or word puzzles you find in books.

Fly London Yuna, Women's Wedge Court Shoes
Fly London Yuna, Women's Wedge Court Shoes

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely comfy shoes, 6 Aug. 2011
I bought these for work where I am usually on my feet for most of the day. Like other Fly shoes I have purchased they are comfortable and light on my feet. I am a size 4 with wide feet and, although the sides rubbed slightly for the first week or so, they now fit really well.

Being just a touch over 5ft the wedge really boosts my height without making them difficult to walk in. The rubbery sole also means that your feet are cushioned when walking.

I bought the plum red colour and, whilst they're not quite as purple as they look in the picture, I still like the colour.

I have had them quite a while now and they are still going strong so they seem quite durable and good quality. I would recommend buying them if you like them.

Just Dance 2 Extra Songs (Wii)
Just Dance 2 Extra Songs (Wii)
Offered by Game Trade Online

4.0 out of 5 stars More songs for Just Dance 2 fans, 6 Aug. 2011
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
I bought this game because I love Just Dance 2 and use it to exercise but I thought some extra songs would freshen up the gameplay a bit. The disc has the songs that were available to download plus a couple of extras so if you have already bought any of those from the online store then this might not be good value for you.

You don't have to own Just Dance 2 to play this game but Just Dance 2 is better value as an introduction to the games as it has more songs on it.

I found this game much harder work than the others but that isn't a bad thing because I really worked up a sweat and it will probably become easier once I have learnt all the moves. There seems to be a good mixture of songs, even a couple that a bit more workout focussed and the usual novelty songs too.

I recommend the game if you already own Just Dance 2 and want some new songs to learn to tide you over until Just Dance 3 is released in October.

The Crimson Petal And The White
The Crimson Petal And The White
by Michel Faber

4.0 out of 5 stars I really liked this book!, 1 Aug. 2011
I do enjoy a good period drama and I had seen the adverts for the BBC adaptation of this but not watched it. My main concern was that it might be really graphic but for a book about Victorian prostitutes, there were graphic scenes but they were not as prominent as I expected.

The book begins with a hurried dash through the streets of Victorian London. Faber sets the scene well and this continues throughout the book - you can almost smell the fetid streets as you are compelled to read on. We follow Mr Rackham as he meets with prostitute Sugar who apart from the obvious, provides him with the impetus to take responsibility for his future and become successful as the owner of the family perfume business.

The story highlights the dark, sordid goings on in various social classes of the time. Particularly, the oppressive treatment of women, making you draw parallels between the lowly Sugar and the indulged Mrs Rackham and realising they have been let down by the society they live in.

I couldn't put the book down because I had to know what would happen to Sugar. Now, the reason I could not give the book five stars? I get frustrated with stories that leave too many loose ends and I was left wanting more from the book. This lead me to read "The Apple" by the same author which has short stories starring some of the characters from this book but that left me with a response best left for another review!

I did enjoy Faber's style of writing and would read more of his work.

Why Don't Penguins' Feet Freeze?: And 114 Other Questions (New Scientist)
Why Don't Penguins' Feet Freeze?: And 114 Other Questions (New Scientist)

3.0 out of 5 stars Full of interesting facts, 1 Aug. 2011
An interesting book full of answers to questions you didn't know you wanted to ask. It is comprised of letters and answers from New Scientist magazine. The answers range from anecdotal evidence from people's experiences to full explanations from actual scientists. You don't have to be a genius to understand most of the content of the book but some of the more in depth answers do take a lot of concentration to follow.

A good factual book which I feel is at its best when you dip in and out of it when you have a few spare minutes rather than attempting the whole thing in one go.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4