Profile for The book review cafe > Reviews

Content by The book revie...

The book review cafe

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-17
Something Old, Something New
Something Old, Something New

5.0 out of 5 stars A Heart warming tale perfect summer read, 30 May 2016
Once in a blue moon I like to drag myself away from serial killers, murders and gory deaths,
so I was really looking forward to reading Something Old Something New by Darcie Boleyn. I knew I was in for a treat with a dose of humour thrown in when I read the title of the first chapter “Dog Poo Divorce”, and I’m glad to say I throughly enjoyed it (despite there not being any serial killers hiding in the shadows).

Annie is fast approaching forty, twice divorced and struggling to balance her work and family life, she’s unintentionally funny, witty and a good friend and confidant to those around her. I loved the character of Annie she’s was very likeable, she is one of those women who always puts others before herself, even if it means putting her own dreams on hold to care for her family. I think most women will be able to relate to her in some way or another, which makes her credible as a character.

As Annie’s ex husband Evan comes back into her life, things take an unexpected turn and Annie will have to face up to her past before she can look to the future. Besides Annie there are multiple characters in Something Old Something New who all added to the enjoyment of this uplifting tale, and Annabelle Annie’s daughter was adorable and very mischievous, which added humour to the story.

There are real no surprises in Something Old Something New, but sometimes its just nice to read a book that you don’t have to think about to much, and this in no way distracted from my enjoyment of this heart warming tale of regrets, the power of love and friendship. Darcie Boleyn has written a uplifting tale that I’m sure fans of chick lit will really enjoy. It will make a perfect holiday read, so I suggest you Pour yourself a glass of wine, pull out a sun lounger, slather yourself in sun tan lotion and immerse yourself in this feel good book.

The Madam
The Madam
by Jaime Raven

4.0 out of 5 stars A gritty crime thriller, 19 May 2016
This review is from: The Madam (Paperback)
I was intrigued when I read the book description for The Madam and jumped at the chance to get my sticky hands on a copy, and from the first page I was dragged into this tale of revenge. The Madam is the debut crime novel from new author on the block Jamie Raven, I'm a big fan of crime thrillers of this nature normally, so i was interested to see if this book would live up to my expectations. Lizzie Wells spent nearly four years in prison for a crime she never committed, now she's out and looking for vengeance, a quest which will put both Lizzie, and the people closes to her in danger.

Lizzie was a character that I didn't particularly feel any connection with and I'm hard pressed to say why, although I did find the way she went about things rather gung ho she never thought about the consequences of her actions, and did seem a little to eager to let her fists do the talking. Although considering she was wrongfully imprisoned it was hardly surprising her character is portrayed as one angry and hot tempered lady. Lizzie's relationship with her girlfriend Scar, an inmate she met and formed a relationship with whilst in prison is an interesting one, Scar tries to keep Lizzie on the straight and narrow, but this proves to be an almost impossible task, especially when Lizzie is hell bent on revenge. I did feel their relationship was unevenly matched and Scar appeared to be putting more of her time and energy into their relationship, but then I guess this is true of many relationships. I did have one small criticism I would have liked to learnt more about Lizzie's time in prison and how her experiences inside made shaped her character.

As Lizzie begins her quest for vengeance The Madam runs along at a good pace, the story is well plotted with a few twist and turns along the way. At times The Madam is very gritty and peppered with plenty of swearing, which I know will put some readers off, although I felt the swearing was in context with the plot and Lizzie's character. The writing style of The Madam reminded me very much of the author Martina Cole when she first started out. The feelings of anger that radiate from Lizzie throughout The Madam was palatable at times and considering her predicament, very understandable, and add to the tension of the story, as you aren't sure what Lizzie's going to do next in the name of revenge. Some of the scenes are violent to say the least, but they are in keeping with the plot, and not just thrown in for "the shock" factor. The Madam is a novel about vengeance and getting justice, and if you are looking for a crime read that focuses on the violence and the more gritty side of life you may want to grab yourself a copy.

See How They Run: The Gripping Thriller that Everyone is Talking About
See How They Run: The Gripping Thriller that Everyone is Talking About

5.0 out of 5 stars A MUST for fans of gripping crime thrillers, 6 May 2016
See How They Run had me in its grips from the first couple of heart pounding chapters, Tom Bale certainly delivers a pulsating crime thriller with no let up in the pace from the first terrifying chapter! I’m sure we’ve all done it, woken up in the night convinced there is someone in the house, floorboards creak, shadows look like people and your heart races, for new parents Alice and Harry French it’s becomes reality as they are plunged into their worst nightmare when they wake to find masked men in their bedroom. What follows is the most terrifying chain of events, resulting in Alice and Harry become the hunted and fighting to stay alive

Alice and Harry are a perfectly normal couple (and this remains obvious throughout the book) caught up in a chain of events that lead them into the most dangerous of situations, and challenges them in ways they could never imagine. As Alice and Harry try to outwit the masked men, the only resources they have to rely on are themselves and their own resilience , they aren’t kick ass characters who know how to fight or kill, they are just normal everyday folk and so you feel their fear and helplessness as the threat to their life’s becomes more evident, I think this is what makes this book so terrifyingly good, you want to see the “underdogs” come out on top, and it was interesting to see how they both grew in character as the plot developed.

Tom Bale has written an absolutely fantastic book, I felt like I was on a roller coaster with no let up in pace (cliched I know, but in this case very true), I truly loved every heart stopping page of See How They Run, With a well defined plot that was taut and original in content it’s a compulsive read, and one I could not put down until I reached the nail biting conclusion . This book is a MUST for fans of crime thrillers, and I would certainly not hesitate in recommending this book to anyone and everyone.

My thanks to Bookouture and Netgalley for my ARC, in exchange for a honest review.

In Too Deep
In Too Deep

4.0 out of 5 stars Gripping psychological thriller, 5 May 2016
This review is from: In Too Deep (Kindle Edition)
I can't believe this is the first book I've read by Samantha Hayes, it's safe to say it won't be my last!
In To Deep is full of mystery and Intrigue and oh what a tangled web the author weaves. When the story begins it seems it going to be a "run of the mill husbands gone missing kind of book", but it's anything BUT! We are introduced to Gina whose husband is missing, she is struggling to find answers to his disappearance and cope with life in general "after Rick". Hannah the daughter also is struggling to cope with life, after she finds out a secret that leaves her devastated.

Told from the alternative perspectives of Gina And Hannah, you get a real feel for the characters, they are very well developed with plenty of depth. This is a family whose life's are built on lies and show how bad things happen to the nicest people, you really begin to wonder how much more heartbreak Gina will have to cope with. As the plot unfolds I did wonder where it was going, as it took so many twist and turns along the way. I did manage to work out some of the answers by the halfway mark, but this in no way distracted from my enjoyment of the book.

Samantha Haynes has written a gripping psychological thriller, well plotted and intriguing right up until the dramatic and explosive conclusion. I was going to give In To Deep 5 stars, but I had a couple of small gripes, the ending left me wanting more, and some of what happens (I don't want to give away any spoilers here) seemed a little far fetched, so for these reasons I'm giving it 4 out of 5.

Kill Me Again
Kill Me Again
by Rachel Abbott

5.0 out of 5 stars A compelling crime thriller, 4 May 2016
This review is from: Kill Me Again (Paperback)
Kill Me Again has been on my TBR pile for a while now, and despite Rachel Abbott being one of my favourite authors I just couldn’t find a slot to fit it in to my schedule. Well I’m glad to say I’ve finally read Kill Me Again, and Rachel Abbott certainly hit the mark in this compelling crime thriller. In this book we meet up with one of my all time favourite detectives Tom Douglas, he’s not your usual stereotype detective for a crime thriller as he’s sensible, smart and level-headed, you won’t see Tom break rules, or go all “gung ho” on a case. I like the fact that Tom is credible and a very likeable character, as we learn more of his background story in Kill Me Again, I found this made him all the more intriguing.

Maggie Taylor was another intriguing but complex character, we are introduced to her when her husband Duncan goes missing, she has to make some very difficult choices throughout Kill Me Again, and I’m not sure I would have made the same ones if I were in her situation, at times I felt sorry for her, and at other times I just wanted to shake her and tell her “to get a grip”! This is what I find with Rachel Abbott’s writing she is able to create multi dimensional characters which draw the reader in, and then adds a plot with twist and turns galore, which keep you reading late into the night. As the plot progresses it looks like the recent murders are connected to previous crimes twelve years ago, the pace picks up momentum and the tension mounts.

Kill Me Again is Delivered in Short concise chapters that are guaranteed to keep the reader wanting “just one more chapter”. The plot has multiple strands, so many in fact it began to feel like spaghetti junction! But Rachel Abbott managed to tie them all together effortlessly, into a riveting “edge of your seat” read. In my opinion Rachel Abbott goes from strength to strength Kill Me Again had all the ingredients I could wish for in a crime thriller, I found it well crafted and it certainly delivered on tension, suspense and intrigue. When Rachel’s next book is released it will be going to the top of my TBR pile that’s for sure.

Bone by Bone: A psychological thriller so compelling, you won't be able to put it down

5.0 out of 5 stars An emotive and compelling debut, 25 April 2016
Bone by Bone is Sanjida Kay’s debut novel, I found it to be one of the most compelling books I have read in a long time, but also the most disturbing. Laura recently separated from her husband, moves to Bristol to start a new life with her nine year old daughter Autumn. It’s not long before Autumn becomes the target of bullies, as the bullying escalates Laura makes a terrible choice. A choice that will have devastating consequences for her and her daughter. As a parent whose son was relentlessly bullied for two years, I have been wanting to read this book for a while now, but at the same time I was concerned that it would bring back very painful memories, so I started reading Bone by Bone with a great deal of trepidation.

Unless you have been in a similar situation it’s difficult to imagine the nightmare parents go through and the emotions they feel, when trying to protect their child. The author manages to portray Laura’s feelings of helplessness with such accuracy it reminded me of the feelings both my husband and myself felt when our child was being bullied. To see your son go from an outgoing, happy and fun loving person into a shell of themselves is heartbreaking to say the least, the author manages to portray every feeling and emotion with such clarity I felt I was reading about myself! The frustration, heartbreak and anger that Laura felt were tangible throughout.

My heart broke for Autumn as the relentless bullying escalated and she struggled to cope emotionally, the author explores the subject of bullying with chilling realism which made for an uncomfortable read at times. It was interesting to see how far Laura would go to protect Autumn, as being in a similar situation we found ourself getting to the stage that we would have done anything to protect our son. Bone by Bone highlights how victims of bullying and their families are often failed by schools, the police and other services, making for a very credible and upsetting read.

Sanjida Kay brings Bone by Bone to a satisfying conclusion, which she does with sensitivity and a great deal of compassion. This is such an emotive book as it explores with chilling realism bullying and how helpless parents feel, it is written with such conviction and understanding it made me wonder if the author herself had faced similar problems. I found it difficult to believe that this was the authors debut novel, and I will certainly be pre-ordering her next book.

Web of Deceit: A DI Sally Parker novella.
Web of Deceit: A DI Sally Parker novella.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fast paced and compelling, 17 April 2016
This is a novella written by Mel Comley together with new author on the block Tara Lyons, I wanted to read Web Of Deceit and get a feel for their writing prior to the release of their first full length novel The Caller released June 2016.

Megan becomes good friends with Tina, a woman whom she met on the Internet, they decide to meet up when Megan returns from France, but how well can you really know someone you have only interacted with through social media? Web Of Deceit explores this issue with relish! It’s difficult to say too much about this book as it is a short story and I’m not one for spoilers! But suffice to say it maybe short but it’s packed full of intrigue and suspense.

I hold my hands up and admit I’m not a big fan of Novella’s but I really enjoyed Web Of Deceit, it has a well defined plot which comes together to make a gritty quick read. One negative, I would have probably rated this 5 stars if the story had been longer, as there was so much potential in the plot. It’s certainly a topical book, as we all have “friends” we think we know well, even though we only know them through social media, would you meet up with them? If you said “yes” you may change your mind after reading this short story!

If you are looking for a quick read and you’re a fan of fast paced crime thrillers, with plenty of tension then this is the book for you, it maybe short but it’s compelling and guaranteed to keep you glued to your seat until you’ve read it all in one sitting. After reading Web Of Deceit I am really looking forward to the publication of The Caller, if Mel Comley and Tara Lyons can pack so much into a novella, then I have high hopes for their full first length book.

The Silent Twin: A dark, gripping detective thriller (Detective Jennifer Knight Crime Thriller Series Book 3)

5.0 out of 5 stars A dark and chilling read, 17 April 2016
This is the third book in the Detective Jennifer Knight series and I must say I approached this book with caution! Why? I hear you shouting The first two books in the series Don’t Turn Around and Time To Die, I gave them a resounding 5 stars, so I was concerned that Caroline wouldn’t be able to maintain this caliber of writing (sorry Caroline for having my doubts, I promise never to doubt you again!). I’m glad to say any concerns I had were dispelled when I read the prologue, and I’m ecstatic, Caroline Mitchell has done it again and wrote another riveting book.

The Lost Twin tells the story of nine-year-old twins Abigail and Olivia who have vowed never to be parted. But when Abigail goes missing from Blackwater Farm, DC Jennifer Knight is firmly planted in the investigation as a family liaison officer, considered to be ‘psychic’, she deals with supernatural occurrences, and it soon becomes clear that there are plenty of unexplained ‘going on’s” at Blackwater Farm. There is a supernatural element to The Silent Twin, but Caroline writes with such conviction, that it makes the plot very plausible and damn right scary (at one point I had goose pimples on my goose pimples, it was that convincing!)

Jennifer’s character continues to evolve in The Silent Twin giving her real depth, I also liked the way her relationship with her work colleague Will has progressed in The Lost Twin. As the investigation intensifies to find missing Abigail, the urgency Jennifer experiences is tangible. As Jennifer experience’s “psychic” moments throughout the investigation, the darkness surrounding her is palatable, and makes for a very creepy read. The Silent Twins presents the reader with a well defined plot, and multiple threads as Jennifer tries to unravel a family’s secrets to get to the truth.

Caroline has managed to capture both the atmosphere and the setting with her descriptive writing, you can almost feel the darkness pulling you in as the plot picks up momentum. Yet again Caroline has weaved her magic spell and created another fantastic read, and dare I say it? I think it’s her best book yet. It’s dark it’s creepy and compelling, and as it reached its dramatic, jaw dropping conclusion my heart was racing (a cliché I know, but in this case true!). I just hope this isn’t the last we see of Jennifer now Caroline is going on to write a new series, if that’s the case I may have to start bombarding Caroline on Twitter with a #bringbackjennifer campaign. If you haven’t read a book by Caroline Mitchell you don’t know what you are missing, if you love a good crime thriller with plenty of suspense you may want to buy it NOW!

As If I Were a River
As If I Were a River
by Amanda Saint

4.0 out of 5 stars A compelling and intriguing debut from Amanda Saint, 14 April 2016
This review is from: As If I Were a River (Paperback)
As If I Were A River is a debut novel from Amanda Saint and one I found compelling to say the least. Each chapter is told from three woman’s perspectives, all three generations have their own story to tell, which all come together to form a thought provoking tale. Life changes for Kate when her husband Jimmy goes missing, as Kate struggles to cope with his disappearance, she also finds herself facing unresolved abandonment issues, as her mum left her when she was just a child and she never knew why. To face her future Kate first has to find out the secrets that surround her mothers sudden disappearance, and these secrets are drip fed to the reader chapter by chapter.

Through the first half of As If I were A River I didn’t particularly feel any emotion for Kate’s character, as I found her difficult to like, she appeared weak and self indulgent spending much of her time drunk or stoned. Although as the reader learns more about past events in Kate’s life it was easy to imagine why she would take this path, rather than deal with her problems head on. Interestingly all three generations of women appear weak when faced with difficult life choices, and you can’t help wondering what would have happened if they made different choices, as the consequences of their actions are shown to affect the next generation. As the story progressed my feelings towards Kate changed and I began to feel real empathy for her, as her life spiralled out of control.

If you are looking for a fast paced book then As If I Were A River may not be for you, as this is one of those books that slowly but surely presents the reader with the threads of a story and then brings them all together to form a fascinating read about families, deception and the way our lives can be shaped by past events. Amanda Saint has written a compelling book, and although the ending was very predictable it did keep me intrigued to the last page.

The Missing
The Missing
by C.L. Taylor

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping and compelling, 11 April 2016
This review is from: The Missing (Paperback)
The Missing is the latest psychological thriller by C. L. Taylor, and oh my god! From the first page I was totally gripped, it's gritty and very realistic The Missing starts 6 months after fifteen-year-old Billy Wilkinson goes missing in the middle of the night, Claire the mother blames herself. She's not the only one. There isn't a single member of Billy's family that doesn't feel guilty. But the Wilkinson’s are so used to keeping secrets from one another that it isn't until an appeal for information goes horribly wrong, that the truth begins to surface.

As a mother myself I couldn't even begin to imagine the pain of loosing a child, especially not knowing what had happened to them. Thanks to C.L. Taylor's superb construction of characters,I Claire's every emotion anger, helplessness, suspicion and heartbreak at the situation she find herself in. As the story unfolds each member of the family has reason to feel guilty regarding Billy's disappearance, and each have secret's they would prefer to keep hidden. This makes for a very believable read, as the story doesn't present you with the "perfect" family, Claire and her husband aren't the perfect parents, are any of us? We try our best, but can we truly know our children as they gain their independence? Are our children as perfect as we would like to think they are? These are all questions that are explored as the plot unravels the family strand by strand, making for a tense and at times an uncomfortable read.

The story is told mostly from Claire's point of view and at times I found her narrative unreliable, as she starts to doubt herself and other members of her family, but this only adds to the tension of the plot. Throughout The Missing we read What's App messages between two people, each one becomes darker and more intense and you find yourself suspecting numerous characters throughout the book, and the reasons behind them. The Missing is the ultimate psychological thriller as it contains all the elements you would expect in this genre, it messes, with your head and emotions, it's gripping with just enough twist and turns to build on the tension, with an intricately woven plot. C.L Taylor has written another high caliber psychological thriller that will keep readers wanting more from this very talented author.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-17