Profile for K. Bear > Reviews

K. Bear

Page: 1 | 2
Remember Me?
Remember Me?

2.0 out of 5 stars I know these are mostly just a bit of fun to read, 13 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Remember Me? (Kindle Edition)
I know these are mostly just a bit of fun to read, but this was really disappointing. Kept waiting for something exciting to happen and it never did. Pretty predictable, mildly enjoyable read. There are better Kinsella books if you're looking for a fun, easy read.

Naw Much of a Talker
Naw Much of a Talker

5.0 out of 5 stars A thoroughly enjoyable, laugh-out-loud piece of storytelling, 13 Aug. 2014
I was so excited to read this new translation of Pedro Lenz's 'Der Goalie bin ig'. It's fascinating to see how a new translator will tackle a piece of foreign fiction, particularly when it is to be translated into a strong Glaswegian vernacular (from the Swiss vernacular). It was a joy to read, and I didn't find the colloquialisms to be a barrier at all, quite the opposite. The language brings Goalie to life, with all his flaws and quirks and imperfections. A thoroughly enjoyable, laugh-out-loud piece of storytelling. I highly recommend it!

First Time Solo
First Time Solo
by Iain Maloney

5.0 out of 5 stars A genuine, heartfelt but also funny read - thoroughly entertaining, 16 Jun. 2014
This review is from: First Time Solo (Paperback)
I was slightly worried when I picked this book up as I thought I might be slightly alienated, expecting a bit of a boys' club scenario. This absolutely wasn't the case. The story is well-paced, the characters are engaging and thought out and the plot details are carefully considered and (seemingly) accurate. It felt like a careful collaboration between history, fact and fiction, conscientiously blended to craft an informative and enjoyable story of men active during the war.

Doubling Back: Ten Paths Trodden in Memory
Doubling Back: Ten Paths Trodden in Memory

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredibly evocative piece of travel writing - brilliant follow up to Call of the Undertow, 13 Jun. 2014
I'm not much of a non-fiction reader (I tend to prefer to delve into the world of the imagination) but I was prompted to read this by how much I enjoy Linda's writing in Call of the Undertow (her first novel). This collection of walking stories is completely diverse and varied, each story is completely different to the one that preceded it. My favourite at the moment is Baring our Soles, where Linda describes a walk she did in her bare feet with her friend on the outskirts of Nairobi. Her descriptions are luscious and she explores the meaning inherent in each journey. In 'Baring our Soles' she talks about the connotations of walking barefoot - penance, protest, empowerment - as well as the way that it connects your body with the earth. This is a wonderful marriage between memory and imagination. Really beautiful and evocative. I must now visit all of these places.

Archer - Season 1 [DVD] [NTSC]
Archer - Season 1 [DVD] [NTSC]
Dvd ~ H. Jon Benjamin

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious - this is my favourite animated show, 2 May 2014
I can't recommend this enough. Utterly brilliant but some people still don't seem to have heard of it. If you're one of those people, you need to buy this!

Jack in the Box: The 'Von' Valenti Series, book 1 (Von Valenti Books)
Jack in the Box: The 'Von' Valenti Series, book 1 (Von Valenti Books)

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast-paced, thrilling mystery set in London's West-end, 2 May 2014
I really enjoyed the pacing of this novel - it kept me hooked the whole way through. I also found the setting to be very unique and exciting - as a former actor, I was drawn in by this atmosphere of performance. In some ways I found it evocative of James Ellroy's Black Dahlia. A brilliant crime novel!

The Fifty-Year Sword
The Fifty-Year Sword
by Mark Z. Danielewski

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic reading experience. Reminiscent of listening to a ghost story with the storyteller casting shadow puppets on the wall., 29 April 2014
This review is from: The Fifty-Year Sword (Hardcover)
This book was a pretty challenging but fascinating read. There are so many little things at work here, that I couldn’t help but stop reading in places to admire the care taken to not only show the text in an interesting way, but to also create a unique reading experience. I’m not sure if it’s new – something like this probably exists elsewhere – but I’m yet to read another book like this one.

I’ll admit something very geeky here, but after hearing Danielewski reading from the book in person (at the Cargo House party, Mono), I wanted to recreate that feeling of being told a story. After about 20 or so pages, I began to read the story aloud to myself, taking my time over the words, and utilising pauses where I felt the book suggested it. I actually scared myself a little – and this was on a sunny afternoon at the weekend, not the eeriest of settings. Every part of the text is encapsulated in one of five sets of speech marks, colour coded so you know who is speaking. I felt as though I was encouraged to speak the words aloud, as everything was represented as speech. It’s an embarrassing admission, but I’d recommend that everyone takes time to read this aloud to a friend or a loved one, or even just yourself.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 13, 2015 3:27 PM BST

Alone in Berlin (Penguin Modern Classics)
Alone in Berlin (Penguin Modern Classics)

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredibly well paced novel with an excellent cast of characters, 29 April 2014
This is one of the most perfectly paced books I’ve ever read. For a book with so many key characters, and totaling not far off 600 pages, the story is so carefully structured, revealing little bits and pieces to you as you creep through the text. This is a storyteller who doesn’t show all his cards at once, and despite the book’s dealing with factual events, Fallada manages to keep you in suspense until the very last moment. In general, there was nothing that I disliked about this book.

Michael Rosen's Sad Book
Michael Rosen's Sad Book
by Michael Rosen

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, honest and compelling - read this if you're an adult or a child, 29 April 2014
This book is staggering. The emotion conveyed is powerful, but the style itself is elegant and simple – the language is accessible for young children, but also hauntingly beautiful in its description of such a raw emotion and delicate subject matter. Rosen shares his grief with the reader in a brutally honest way.

Indecent Acts
Indecent Acts

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredibly funny, moving first-person account, 29 April 2014
This review is from: Indecent Acts (Kindle Edition)
I sometimes find it tricky to become absorbed in a book written in a colloquial style, but this was certainly not the case for Indecent Acts. I found myself instantly warming to the main character, Grace, in a way that made it almost impossible to put the book down. I finished it in one night! I wholeheartedly recommend it to anyone who likes to make friends with characters in books. I also thought it was a very honest and tender look at working class family life - a refreshing portrayal when compared to the brash and biased Benefits Street. Read this book - you won't regret it!

Page: 1 | 2