Profile for aed2010 > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
My Secret Sister: Jenny Lucas and Helen Edwards' family story
My Secret Sister: Jenny Lucas and Helen Edwards' family story

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating read, 7 Sept. 2013
What a wonderful story but how sadly it all began. These were the time when having a child outside marriage was deemed a sin for lots of girls. How things have changed and gone into total reverse. You had to live in these times to know how unmarried pregnant girls were treated. This is a heart warming story and I am so pleased for Helen and Jenny that they at last found each other. I particularly loved the photos at the end of the book. What a handsome boy George was and such a pity Jenny never got to meet him. I can't begin to imagine why Mercia behaved the way she did but can only put it down to the way things were then. She must have been a very sad lady particularly living with a brute like Tommy. During reading this book I just kept wondering why Helen didn't escape from her miserable existence. Jenny was by far the luckier sister with her wonderful mom and dad. A really good read which I have just finished and couldn't put down. I wish you Jenny and Helen many happy years making up for lost time. Thank you for sharing your very interesting story.

Some Day I'll Find You
Some Day I'll Find You

1.0 out of 5 stars Rubbish, 20 Aug. 2013
Pat who became Gwen. Patrick who became Oliver (but was usually referred to as Mr. Arnold). Robert who became John. Rose who became Diane. Really Mr. Madeley what was the point of this name changing. I found the prologue interesting and there my interest wained. The dialogue was stilted and stuffy. The only thing I can liken it to would be a 1940's B movie which is very badly acted. It was like reading a children's book. I speed read large chunks as I found large sections to be unnecessary and I had to get to the end to see if it might improve and I was desperate to read a good book (which I did Clovers Child by Amanda Prowse saved my day). Unfortunately the book didn't improve. A silly tale of a husband who disappears on his wedding day who is living in a town where his wife (who has since remarried) happens to move to and how he takes protection money from local businesses but needs to borrow a large sum from his ex-wife to buy into the Mafia . She gives him everything she has but he still needs more so he kidnaps his daughter (who he has only just found out about) so he can extort more money from Diane' s new husband to give also to the Mafia. Also the proof of the pudding is in the proof reading as it appears none was done in this or maybe the proof reader, like me, got tired of reading this lack lustre tale.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 18, 2013 2:58 PM BST

Clover's Child (No Greater Love Book 3)
Clover's Child (No Greater Love Book 3)

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant book, 20 Aug. 2013
Amanda Prowse has become one of my favourite authors. I have now read all of her books and just can't wait for her next. In Clovers Child she has managed to capture the era perfectly. This was my era and it brought back many memories. The way she writes she makes the characters and their trials and tribulations completely believable. I don't want to go through the story because I don't believe in spoiling it for someone who is thinking of adding it to their collection. All I can say is I highly recommend this book and strongly urge anyone to buy it. Fantastic read which will at times reduce you to tears.

5.0 out of 5 stars STURDY CASE, 30 July 2013
What a bargain this case was and it really does a good job. The colour (purple) is very nice too. It was a bonus that the case came with a stylus which makes it much easier to tap on the keys of my Kindle Fire. Would highly recommend this product.

The Detective's Daughter
The Detective's Daughter

5.0 out of 5 stars SUPERB, 25 Jun. 2013
This is the first book I have read by Lesley Thomson and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I was a bit unsure at first but then quickly got into the style of writing. Would highly recommend this book. I am an avid reader and I either love or loathe a story. I loved this book so much that when I had finished it I downloaded A Kind of Vanishing also by Lesley Thomson and was delighted that it contained some of the characters who were in The Detective's Daughter so immediately got into this book. I only bought it this morning and am well into it.

Watch Over Me (Glen Avich)
Watch Over Me (Glen Avich)

5.0 out of 5 stars SO BEAUTIFUL, 14 May 2013
What a beautiful, touching and well crafted story. Could not put it down. Daniela Sarcerdoti is obviously a very gifted storyteller who can also write very well. The only problem I had with this book was I just wanted to know how to pronounce the name of Eilidh. I can only come up with Eyelid and I'm sure that can't be right. What a bargain this book was. Read it and you will enjoy. I fell in love with Elizabeth. I do want an Elizabeth to watch over me.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 14, 2013 11:25 AM BST

What Have I Done? (No Greater Love Book 2)
What Have I Done? (No Greater Love Book 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars BRILLIANT STORY, 9 April 2013
What a well written book. I just couldn't put this book down. I just had to know how it turned out. How could anyone be treated the way this poor woman was, but, of course we know that this sort of thing does go on. I am not going into an account of the story as I wouldn't like to spoil it for anyone. My recommendation is just buy this book. I would have paid much, much more for it as it is superb. I have never in all my life cried over some dolly pegs but the writing was so good that my tears flowed freely because I could feel for Kate when this episode happened. Well done for writing "What Have I Done" Ms. Prowse.

The Lost Boy (Patrick Hedstrom and Erica Falck, Book 7)
The Lost Boy (Patrick Hedstrom and Erica Falck, Book 7)

4.0 out of 5 stars WAITED SO LONG FOR THIS BOOK, 17 Mar. 2013
I pre-ordered this book in September as I absolutely love this series (which for full enjoyment must be read from the beginning as Patrik and Erica's life builds) and was very worried that Camilla Lackberg had decided to end it. The book came on 14 March and I couldn't wait to devour it. However, it's a strange one. For the lovers of supernatural you will love it. The Ghost Isle comes into the book frequently with a tale of the past and then coming back to the present. I found this book quite hauntingly sad. However, saying that the usual characters are present and the way in which Camilla Lackberg writes you can easily imagine what these people would be like e.g. some bumbling fools and others brilliantly strong characters. I love the constant references to Ernst the dog. Do read the book but as I mentioned earlier read in order to fully enjoy. Camilla Lackberg is a brilliant writer and brilliant storyteller and I would thoroughly recommend all of her books. You won't be disappointed.

As If By Magic (A Jessica Daniel Exclusive) (Jessica Daniel Series)
As If By Magic (A Jessica Daniel Exclusive) (Jessica Daniel Series)

1.0 out of 5 stars YAWN, 25 Feb. 2013
Just wasted my time reading the first part of this book. So boring. Jessica Daniel is a nasty piece of work. She's selfish and treats Dave appallingly. Would he stand for paying for this that and the other in real life and also treating him like an errand boy. I doubt it. I don't find it friendly banter at all. I've read the first three Jessica Daniels books and thought they were quite good but this one stay away from it. There is absolutely nothing magic about it at all. It's supposed to be a half book but I found it so tedious it seemed like a book and a half. I usually stay with a book until the end 1. I want to get my monies worth 2. Want to give the Author a fair chance. I failed on both counts this time. I hate being negative but cannot avoid on this occasion. Mr. Wilkinson make Jessica little softer and more likeable please. You do have good characters but the reader should be able to love them. My opinion only, of course.

Extra Large Mink Faux Fur Throw 200cm x 240cm - SILVER GREY
Extra Large Mink Faux Fur Throw 200cm x 240cm - SILVER GREY
Offered by missdivagirlz

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVELY THROW, 25 Feb. 2013
This throw is brilliant. It covers a 3 seater settee and looks lovely. It's thick and very lush. Love, love love it. The delivery was excellent, ordered Saturday evening, arrived on Tuesday. Thank you for excellent purchase and service.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7