Profile for Zoe > Reviews

The Road
The Road
by Cormac McCarthy

1.0 out of 5 stars Not Worth Reading, 29 April 2009
This review is from: The Road (Paperback)
I read this book for a book club with 10 people of it, mostly older people but of a variety of ages and only 1 person enjoyed it. I realise this is an argument ad populum but it's not just my opinion.
I'm generally a science fiction fan and dystopian fiction is really interesting in this regard. Yet- this book annoyed me. It didn't go into the disaster enough and it felt as though the characters were too weak: they didn't plan ahead, they weren't bright enough (I understand one of them was a child, but I'd enjoy a book with this concept more if it had more characters who were building a society or something) and because of their lack of ability to change things and the limited nature of the story line, all that really happened was two people walking down a road and occasionally finding houses, this is an incredibly depressing read. Fine- you might say- depressing is good, and I agree if you're dealing with something like 1984 which is thought provoking, or something like a Palahniuk novel which is disturbing but the father's insistence on being a `good person' just made this novel incredibly boring. I'd have preferred it from the cannibals' points of view maybe as at least this would have provided the challenge of whether one would do that in those circumstances and would have peaked my morbid curiosity instead of being rather bland.
The book is good at description; the author has put a lot of thought into its expression, something which others in the book club disliked as one person put it `its incorrect punctuation annoyed me' so perhaps this is more a matter of personal taste. Generally this isn't a book worth the amount of credit it's been given.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 30, 2012 10:36 PM GMT

Moving Out To The Country
Moving Out To The Country

2.0 out of 5 stars OK music- not country though, 26 Dec 2006
When I asked for this and received it as a Christmas present, I expected it to be a lot more country- maybe next time I should check the singers rather than the front cover/title. This isn't country enough for me. Which isn't a bad thing- it's fine as music, just not good country.