Profile for Neil O' Rourke > Reviews

Content by Neil O' Rourke

Neil O' Rourke (Dublin 24, Ireland)

Charles Mingus: The Complete Atlantic Recordings 1956-1961
Charles Mingus: The Complete Atlantic Recordings 1956-1961

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure Ear Candy!, 28 Mar. 2003
As a bassist and a Charles Mingus preacher (not just a fan!) I have been spreading the word of just how good Charles Mingus is. Not only is he an inspired bassist but his approach to composition, improvisation and performance will open the eyes (and ears) of any musician. When you first listen to Mingus your jaw will hit the floor, after a few more listens you begin to see just what it is he's doing and your jaw will hit the floor a second time!
This box-set encompasses what is, by popular opinion, his best recording period. In terms of the energy and passion of the songs, the insanely high level of the musicians and even the clarity and sheer quality of the recording it is indeed the pinnacle of his career. There are so many wonderful songs in this set that to list my favourites would be to practically duplicate the track listing. Even trying to list the songs I couldn't live without is difficult!
If you already own a few Mingus albums before you found this box-set (I already had about half this set on various cd's) then don't hesitate... the interview on disc six makes it worth it. It doesn't tell you anywhere on the box but the interview is 1 hour and 16 mins long! Giving great insight into the man, his music and his beliefs it's more than just a mere interview.. it's a lesson in music composition, band-leading, spirituality and, most of all, life!
So? Have I convinced you yet?

Rock Action
Rock Action

4.0 out of 5 stars A stunning piece of work!, 18 Nov. 2001
This review is from: Rock Action (Audio CD)
As a brand new fan of Mogwai I would like to destroy the rumour that Rock Action is only for existing fans who have other Mogwai albums. And why not kill two birds with the one stone and say that 38 minutes is perfect!
I bought this CD a day after buying their EP+6, that's how impressive Mogwai are! When I got home and played it I was immersed, all the time trying to pin down why this is such an great album to listen to... the feeling and style of the album changes from Trent Reznor downard sprial to Sigur Ros aural landscapes, Mike Oldfield heights to... dare I say it ...Nick Drake depths. They manage this and more without the feeling you've heard it already, creating music that is truly original and very enjoyable.
As for the 38 minutes... didn't the Beatles make it big with albums shorter than this?! And need I mention that there is not a single 'clunker' to be found?!
I took a chance buying Mogwai without hearing them first, I have been burned before, but after listening to the songs for a solid 4 days I wouldn't have a world without this music!
Enjoy!