Profile for Teresa Green > Reviews

The Almost Moon
The Almost Moon
by Alice Sebold

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved this book, 2 Mar. 2010
This review is from: The Almost Moon (Paperback)
I actually think this is Alice Sebold's best yet. Okay, the idea might be a bit depressing or some of the details slightly distasteful for some people but the overall tone and atmosphere kept me right in there. I finished it in virtually one sitting. As someone who had a complex relationship with my own mother, I really got this book. Her flow and use of language are spellbinding.

The Book Thief
The Book Thief
by Markus Zusak

5.0 out of 5 stars The Book Thief also stole my heart, 16 Feb. 2008
This review is from: The Book Thief (Paperback)
The paucity of my vocabulary means I could never do justice to the lyricism of this book. Markus Zusak is a genius - and young and handsome to boot. Damn him - he can write his own review.

A Thousand Splendid Suns
A Thousand Splendid Suns
by Khaled Hosseini

5.0 out of 5 stars What a load of Kabul, 16 Feb. 2008
Yes really, it's a book chiefly set in Kabul - oh, and I also wanted to grab your attention. What a wonderful read this is - I actually finished it in two sittings. I won't bother to go into the story as it's already been very competently reviewed by loads of other people. I just want to say, do yourself a huge favour and read this book. Word of warning: Make sure you have a box of man-sized tissues close by and that you're wearing waterproof mascara.
Do yourself a double-favour and get The Book Thief by Markus Zusak at the same time. Life-changing reads.

The Gift Of Therapy: An open letter to a new generation of therapists and their patients: Reflections on Being a Therapist
by Irvin D. Yalom

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as enamoured as everyone else seems to be, 27 Dec. 2007
I'm beginning to wonder if I've been reading the same book as everyone else. I found it all 'too nice' and ultimately quite boring. As for suggesting that a therapist should give a patient a hug, hold their hand or whatever if that's what the client wants - tell that to the judge! Actually, you can't can you because it's not against the law is it? - so really this just once again highlights that there can still be pretty fuzzy boundaries in the counselling relationship if an 'expert' deems such contact ok.
I am reading Between Therapist and Client by Michael Kahn and so far, I much prefer it to the Gift of Therapy.

When He's Only Into Himself ...: A Memoir & Guide to Understanding a Narcissist
When He's Only Into Himself ...: A Memoir & Guide to Understanding a Narcissist
by Ella Scott

1.0 out of 5 stars I may have been over-generous with my 1-star rating, 27 Dec. 2007
I started to read this book at 10.00am and had finished it by 11.30am. What a waste of time and money. It is the flimsiest, most lightweight book I have ever read. Basically, it's a mix of quotes from Sam Vaknin - the self-confessed 'expert' on narcissism - and poems from Andrew, one of Ella Scott's narcissistic ex-boyfriends. In fact, I started to suspect that it was all a bit of a put-up-job and actually just a rather stupid way to promote his poetry. As I was reading this book, I realised I couldn't give a damn about Ella or her dopey boyfriends. In fact, I can't be bothered to expand on this review either - just don't bother waste your hard-earned sponnies on this pointless bit of nothing.