Profile for Mr. A. Whiteside > Reviews

Content by Mr. A. Whiteside
Top Reviewer Ranking: 816

Mr. A. Whiteside "tonyjackie3" (uk)
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Downton Abbey - Series 5 [DVD]
Downton Abbey - Series 5 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Maggie Smith

3.0 out of 5 stars Downturn Abbey, 10 Nov. 2014
I thought this was the weakest series so far. For one reason or another not a lot seemed to happen a lot of the time and the Mr and Mrs Bates murder mystery is going on far too long. I also thought that the Lady Edith and baby plot was a bit daft as well. The acting is OK with the good being Dame Maggie Smith as always. Plaudits also to Phyllis Logan, Kevin Doyle and Lily James. The not so good were Michelle Dockery and Elizabeth McGovern.

I don't want to rip into Downton at all but series five wasn't the best. Will I carry on watching? Yes I will, most definitely because for all of it's faults, Downton Abbey is always watchable and here's hoping for better in the future.

The Great Fire [DVD] [2014]
The Great Fire [DVD] [2014]
Dvd ~ Andrew Buchan

2.0 out of 5 stars A fire that didn't ignite, 8 Nov. 2014
This review is from: The Great Fire [DVD] [2014] (DVD)
This series got gradually worse as it went on. It started slowly and became a long bore of a drama with four episodes being at least one too many. The acting was average, the story was supposed to be gripping but wasn't and I lost interest way before the end. There were quite a few times that I found my concentration drifting and that is never a good sign.

The trailers made it look as though this would be OK but sadly it wasn't and this is one fire that fizzled out pretty quickly.

Wolf Creek 2
Wolf Creek 2
Dvd

2.0 out of 5 stars Up the creek!!, 6 Nov. 2014
The first movie had it's moments of tension but bacame a gore fest towards the end. This follow up is quite simply a disappointment. You can sense when a movie is struggling when it starts to show gruesome violence just for the sake of it and this rarely lets up on the blood and plain nastiness. The psychotic Mick is almost a comedy character in this and he loses quite a bit of impact because of it. I thought there was little tension, far too much gratuitous and unscary gore and I was left with the feeling that this franchise has to end here, where could ot possibly go from this point? I expected more from this movie to be honest.

It isn't as bad as some so called thrillers I have watched (Eden Lake, blimey that was awful) but this is one sequel that ran out of ideas.

Maleficent [DVD]
Maleficent [DVD]
Dvd ~ Angelina Jolie

4.0 out of 5 stars Angelina excels, 27 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Maleficent [DVD] (DVD)
I had high hopes for this movie and it didn't disappoint. It looks fabulous, the story is solid and Angelina Jolie is great in the lead role. I suppose at times it was aimed a little too much towards kids especially in scenes involving the three fairies but there are enough dark themes going on to keep adults hooked. Indeed, the movie looks so good especially in the forest scenes that I wish we had seen it at the cinema.

This is a movie I would definitely watch again and the musical score is top notch as well. Recommended.

Happy Valley [DVD]
Happy Valley [DVD]
Dvd ~ Sarah Lancashire

5.0 out of 5 stars Top drama, top actress, 5 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Happy Valley [DVD] (DVD)
I wasn't really surprised when I heard that 'Happy Valley' lost 800,000 viewers after the first week because it wasn't what I expected and I suspect it wasn't what a lot of other people expected either. I thought it would be along the lines of 'Heartbeat' with a different story each episode laced with a touch of humour. Boy was I wrong! This was a hard hitting drama and not always an easy watch with several disturbing scenes. For all of that though it was compelling, very well acted and quite probably the best drama on TV this year.

As stated, the acting was top notch across the board with not one dud performance. Special mention should go to James Norton who played the role of the psychotic Tommy very well. I have left the best till last though and that is the performance of Sarah Lancashire. I consider Meryl Streep and Cate Blanchett to be the two best actresses in the movies but they couldn't have bettered this performance. It was a performer at the very top of their game and even when she had no dialogue you couldn't take your eyes off her. There was one scene (SPOILER ALERT) where she had to clear out a murdered police officer's locker and you could feel and see the anguish she felt even though not one word was spoken. Quality stuff, nice one Sarah and nice one to everyone involved with 'Happy Valley'.

Jamaica Inn [DVD]
Jamaica Inn [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jessica Brown Findlay

2.0 out of 5 stars A big disappointment, 25 April 2014
This review is from: Jamaica Inn [DVD] (DVD)
I am surprised to see so many reviewers defending the criticism of the mumbling in this adaptation of Jamaica Inn because it was pretty bad. Too many actor's mumbled and made it hard to understand what they were saying with the worst culprit being Sean Harris who barely opened his mouth when he spoke. I think that it has become a trend with some actors to think that underacting is the way to go and this is a mistake. This programme deserves the stick it has received simply because of the awful dialogue from some, not all, of the actors.

The drama itself was no more than OK. Well filmed, way too long at three hours and boring a lot of the time. The fact that it lost over two million viewers across the three nights spoke loud and clear which is more than some of the actors did.

Line of Duty Series 2 [DVD]
Line of Duty Series 2 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Martin Compston
Offered by A1-Media

3.0 out of 5 stars A good but not great drama, 20 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Line of Duty Series 2 [DVD] (DVD)
The critics have been raving about series two of 'Line Of Duty' with many stating that it is better than anything seen on TV this year. There may have been a few times that I was inclined to agree but to be brutally honest the ending and indeed the last episode were a let down.

This was for the most part a gripping series with a complicated plot and some fine acting especially from Keeley Hawes in by far the most impressive performance I have seen her give. I won't give anything away about the plot in this review but when the final scene ended I felt flat and even a little bit underwhelmed with the whole episode as things seemed rushed and a tad confusing. When I finished watching 'Breaking Bad' recently, the ending felt absolutely correct but I just didn't feel the same way about 'Line Of Duty'. The final episode tied up some loose ends for sure but it didn't seem to have the same standard of the earlier episodes. So I did think this was good but I had hoped it would be great. A few too many twists and turns meant that this series didn't live up to the early promise it showed.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 8, 2014 9:27 PM GMT

Breaking Bad: The Complete Series [DVD]
Breaking Bad: The Complete Series [DVD]
Dvd ~ Bryan Cranston

5.0 out of 5 stars I was proved wrong, 4 Mar. 2014
I vivdly remember about half way through season three turning to my fiancee and asking 'How do you think this compares to 'The Wire?'. She replied 'Favourably' and I answered 'No way, this is nowhere near as good, not even close'. As usual, she was right and I was wrong.

I won't give away any spoilers here but there were times when I thought it was slow with not much happening. It was about half way through season four that I finally realised that I was completely hooked and started to appreciate the early episodes that I had pretty much dismissed. There are reasons behind the change of pace and it took me a while to get it but if you are reading this review and thinking the same as I originally thought then please stick with it, trust me it is worth it.

This is Bryan Cranston's finest hour and he has created a TV legend in Walter White. He doesn't miss a beat here and his performance is terrific. Many other parts are played to perfection and 'Breaking Bad' is quite simply fantastic TV. The ending? Absolutely spot on as far as we were concerned.

The Bletchley Circle Series 2 [DVD]
The Bletchley Circle Series 2 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Anna Maxwell Martin

2.0 out of 5 stars What went wrong?, 26 Jan. 2014
I enjoyed the first series of 'The Bletchley Circle' and was pleased to see a second was to be shown. What a disappointment! The first three episodes have been boring and the acting a bit ropey apart from Anna Maxwell Martin. In fact I am so bored with it that I won't watch the final episode. The only reason I carried on watching was because of Anna and to the detrement of the programme it looks as though (SPOILER AHEAD) she has jumped ship.

There is a reasonable sense of the period of the time that the series is set but it just didn't hold my interest at all and the loss of my favourite character doesn't bode well at all. Will there be a third series? It depends on the ratings I suppose but I'm not sure that I will be watching which is a shame as I had high hopes.

Doc Martin Series 6 [DVD]
Doc Martin Series 6 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Martin Clunes

5.0 out of 5 stars This Doc's a tonic, 24 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Doc Martin Series 6 [DVD] (DVD)
The sixth series of Doc Martin was the best one since the excellent second series. I thought that the previous two series were good but not as good as the previous efforts. Apart from the first episode which descended into a bit of a farce, this was right at the top of it's game.

A bit more of Bert, not quite so much of PC Penhale, these were plus points and the acting was spot on as usual. Another good thing is the way the series ended which left the way open for a series seven and that can only be a bonus. The scenery was of course superb and you care about the character's and are keen to see how they progress. Doc Martin still has plenty of life in it yet.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20