Profile for Mr. A. Whiteside > Reviews

Content by Mr. A. Whiteside
Top Reviewer Ranking: 765

Mr. A. Whiteside "tonyjackie3" (uk)
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1-10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21-24
The Kick Inside
The Kick Inside
Price: 4.99

5.0 out of 5 stars What an introduction, 19 Nov 2008
This review is from: The Kick Inside (Audio CD)
It can safely be said that when this album was originally released nothing like it had ever been heard before.This was the time of punk,anarchy and bands full of anger and rage.Then along comes this sweet little English girl with her hippy looks and charming lyrics.'The Kick Inside' has got to be one of the most startling and brilliant debut albums ever.

'Wuthering Heights','The Man With The Child In His Eyes','Moving' and 'The Kick Inside' are just a few of the delights awaiting the listener as Kate wails and whoops her way into your heart.She is a very special talent and I think what I most admire about her is the fact that she has always done things her own way.If we have to wait years for her albums then that's just what we'll do because she is doing things in her own time.

This album was the start of her fantastic career and though it may not be her masterpiece it showcases a rare touch of musical genius and long may it continue.How long will we have to wait for her next album? Who knows, but many of us will just sit tight and wait until she is ready.

My Love: Ultimate Essential Collection
My Love: Ultimate Essential Collection
Price: 7.66

4.0 out of 5 stars Celine belting them out & then there is the sleeve...., 19 Nov 2008
I would never consider myself to be a lover of the type of music that Celine Dion sings but I do think that she is the absolute best at what she does.A lot of people may well harp on about Mariah,Whitney or even Beyonce but Celine has always been one step above all of the other ballad singers and I really do believe that she has a great voice.She does seem to rub some people up the wrong way and she can be a trifle over dramatic but she gets away with it because of her singing talents.

This is a pretty good selection and includes her greatest song 'A New Day Has Come'.I don't think she has ever bettered it vocally and it is a special song.I say that as someone that likes Oasis,Slade and Alice Cooper!!We have been lucky enough to have seen her twice in concert and she was fabulous both times.She is a consumate professional and by and large always delivers.

If you still have any doubts,check out the picture of Celine on the cover.OK,I'm shallow but she looks fantastic and makes this compilation even more worthwhile!

Slayed?
Slayed?
Price: 8.91

5.0 out of 5 stars The boyz at their best, 18 Nov 2008
This review is from: Slayed? (Audio CD)
Slade were the very first group that I got into and I have always felt that 'Slayed' was their finest album.What's not to like?it's full of foot stomping tracks and is among the top 10 albums of all time,at least in my opinion.'Gudbuy T' Jane','How D'you Ride?','Mama Weer All Crazee Now' and 'Let The Good Times Roll/Feel So Fine' are great tracks in their own right and they all feature on this album.It is consistantly good and it really captures the band at their absolute peak.

I have always thought that Slade were a very underrated band and even though some bands like Oasis and Motley Crue have since sung their praises they should still be held in higher regard.When it comes to naming the best albums of the 1970s,'Slayed' should feature high on the list of many people.This is a cracking album.

This version features several extra tracks most of which were 'B' sides which makes this an even better buy.Five out of five stars without any question at all.

Dad's Army - The Complete Collection [DVD] [1968]
Dad's Army - The Complete Collection [DVD] [1968]
Dvd ~ Arthur Lowe
Price: 20.00

5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic collection, 17 Nov 2008
This is the ultimate collection of the 'Dad's Army' TV series and it is all you could ask for.Featuring every single available episode and also several extras I really don't know how it could be improved upon.

Of course some episodes are better than others but when you realise just how many episodes were written the quality and consistancy of the writing is amazing.This box set also includes the three Christmas specials.Quite simply this is classic comedy at it's best and it just has to be awarded maximum marks.Fabulous and well worth spending your cash on.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 15, 2011 9:16 AM GMT

We Are Marshall [2006] [DVD]
We Are Marshall [2006] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Matthew McConaughey
Offered by babsbargains *** WORLDWIDE SHIPPING ***
Price: 19.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Yuk, 17 Nov 2008
This review is from: We Are Marshall [2006] [DVD] (DVD)
Judging by the reviews already left on Amazon I very much doubt that many people will agree with me about this.But the whole point about writing a review is to be honest and this movie was awful.

It is based on a real life tragedy and at the start of the movie I did actually think that it might be OK.We are then subjected to the most blatant and cynical overblown scenes of emotion purely designed to make you cry.This is the type of movie that I can't stand.I don't mean an emotional film because when they are done correctly they can melt even the hardest of hearts.'It's A Wonderful Life','Schindler's List' and even 'Eight Below' never fail to tug at the heartstrings and are very well made without being overly sentimental.'We Are Marshall' deals with a horrible tragedy in a sickly and calculating way and so many scenes made me wince with their awfulness.Hear the music swell as yet another actor gets tears in their eyes.It's just so overdone.

Quite what that fine actor Ian McShane is doing in this is beyond me.No wonder he looks bored.This just isn't my bag at all and I can only give it one star.

Christmas Secrets E.P.
Christmas Secrets E.P.
Price: 9.38

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely but expensive, 16 Nov 2008
This review is from: Christmas Secrets E.P. (Audio CD)
There is no doubt that this is a lovely collection of Christmas music from Enya but considering that there are only four tracks on this EP it is very expensive.I have an import CD along a similar vein called 'Sounds Of The Season' which actually contains six tracks,the extra two being 'Amid The Falling Snow' and 'Oiche Chiuin'so you may want to try and find that as it represents better value.

The latest release from Enya 'And Winter Came' is an album of winter and Christmas music and is excellent so if you want a seasonal offering from the lovely lady then that is the one I would recommend.But if you are like me and want to hear everything Enya has recorded I guess that you will buy this EP anyway.Just be aware that there is another one out there with more tracks.

And Winter Came
And Winter Came
Price: 9.78

5.0 out of 5 stars A welcome return, 15 Nov 2008
This review is from: And Winter Came (Audio CD)
I have every album Enya has released and this latest effort is a welcome addition to her portfolio.'And Winter Came' is very much based around Christmas time which could limit it's year round appeal.But although what Enya does is predictable she does do it in a very professional way and continually shows herself to be an excellent artist.

The standout tracks on this album are the more up tempo numbers 'White Is In The Winter Night','Trains And Winter Rains'and perhaps my favourite 'My!My!Time Flies'.The latter actually includes a guitar solo and Enya singing in a slightly different way and I think that it works well.Some of the slower tracks 'O Come,O Come ,Emmanuel','The Spirit Of Christmas Past' and 'Oiche Chiuin' have the feel of being performed in a cathedral with their haunting melodies and again they are effective.

You do know what you will get with this album but I still recommend it without any doubts.When you have a load of Christmas presents to wrap up just stick on this CD and lose yourself to the lovely sounds of a special talent.She looks great on the cover too!I give this five stars simply because it is so relaxing and perhaps her best release for quite a while

Deadwood: Complete Third Season [DVD] [2004] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Deadwood: Complete Third Season [DVD] [2004] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Dvd ~ Timothy Olyphant
Offered by RAREWAVES USA
Price: 22.62

4.0 out of 5 stars Not quite up to the standard of the first two series, 15 Nov 2008
I have given this excellent series only four stars purely because I didn't think it matched the very high standards of the first two series.There isn't too much that is wrong but I did feel that the stories were stretched a bit thin at times and there aren't quite as many memorable episodes.I wouldn't say that it is an anti climax but I expected a more explosive ending.

Having said all of that,there are many moments of tension on display and once again it is Ian McShane as Al Swearengen that stands above everyone else here.He is always on the mark and never gives a dud performance.For some reason I felt that the usually fabulous Robin Wiegert actually overacted her role of Calamity Jane which I never felt in the first two series.Series three is a fine series in it's own right but just falls short of the first two.I felt that there were a couple of episodes that seemed to drag and not much seemed to happen.

I have all three series on region one and if you have a multi region DVD player then this is definitely the region you should buy as all three series are exactly as shown originally and feature several extras.

The Stone Puzzle of Rosslyn Chapel
The Stone Puzzle of Rosslyn Chapel
by Philip Coppens
Price: 7.80

4.0 out of 5 stars Rosslyn under investigation, 15 Nov 2008
Having been fortunate to have visited Rosslyn Chapel I was interested to learn more about the history and rumour that surrounds this wonderful buliding.'The Stone Puzzle Of Rosslyn Chapel' is a very interesting book which tries to answer most of the questions so many people have asked.There are detailed descriptions of the most talked about carvings and structures of the chapel although the book is a bit long winded initially.I felt that the book got bogged down with too much about the history prior to the buliding of the chapel but I suppose though that the author wanted to give depth to all of the characters that had some relevance regardless how miniscule and in that sense very good research has been done.

There are several photos in this book and again it is a disappointment that none of them are in colour as the detail isn't always that clear in black and white.On the whole though I would have no trouble in recommending this book to anyone with an interest in Rosslyn.It is an engrossing read and is sure to make you think.

Once Upon a Time in the West -- Special Collector's Edition (2 discs) [DVD] [1969]
Dvd ~ Henry Fonda
Offered by MusicnMedia
Price: 6.19

5.0 out of 5 stars "One way only", 15 Nov 2008
This is quite simply one of the greatest western's ever made.Brilliantly directed by Sergio Leone and with a fantastic soundtrack from Ennio Morricone,'Once Upon A Time In The West' seems to get better with each viewing.It is at times brutal,moving and comical and a tribute to the vision of Leone.Almost every scene involves something memorable.The fantastic opening sequence,Cheyenne sliding the lamp to illuminate Harmonica's face,the slaughter of the family by Frank,the list is endless.

Then there is the cast.Charles Bronson,Claudia Cardinale,Jason Robards and most memorably of all Henry Fonda.Each and every one of them excels in their respective roles and give depth to this wonderful movie.It runs at almost three hours and not one minute is wasted.Funnily enough,the first time I watched it I wasn't too sure what the fuss was.Now I regard this movie as being a work of art,almost poetic in places.

This two disc special edition contains several interesting extras which go towards making this an absolute must.Five stars and each and every one of them richly deserved.

Page: 1-10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21-24