Profile for Mr. A. Whiteside > Reviews

Content by Mr. A. Whiteside
Top Reviewer Ranking: 874

Mr. A. Whiteside "tonyjackie3" (uk)
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Birkenstock Arizona, Unisex-Adults' Sandals, Black (SCHWARZ), 10.5 UK (45 EU)
Birkenstock Arizona, Unisex-Adults' Sandals, Black (SCHWARZ), 10.5 UK (45 EU)

5.0 out of 5 stars Probably the best you can buy, 12 Jun. 2016
This is the second pair of Birkenstock Arizona sandals that I have owned and they were almost immediately comfortable. Admittedly I haven't had this particular pair for too long but if they are anything like my previous pair then it is money well spent.

I am a size 11 and after a bit of fiddling with the straps I found these to be very comfortable and a good fit.

Wallander - Series 4: The Final Chapter [DVD] [2016]
Wallander - Series 4: The Final Chapter [DVD] [2016]
Dvd ~ Kenneth Branagh

3.0 out of 5 stars A flat conclusion, 12 Jun. 2016
This is the end of Wallander as played by Kenneth Branagh and to be honest it was a mixed bag. There are just three episodes and it is obvious by the end that there won't be any more. I won't give away too much about the episodes but the ending was disappointing with a pretty boring espionage scenario that was at times confusing and just didn't grip like it should have done. The focus should really have been much more about Kurt and his troubles and the tedious spy stuff was a distraction.

So this is the end but I don't feel that the final two series ever lived up the first two. It has ended at the right time.

Green Blade BB-BE106 9m x 15cm Lawn Edging
Green Blade BB-BE106 9m x 15cm Lawn Edging

1.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointed with this product, 27 May 2016
I'm not really sure why so many people have rated this as a five star product simply because it's pretty hopeless as a lawn edger. I tried more than once to edge our lawn with it and it is very flimsy, snaps easily and it is pretty much a waste of time. It is cheap I suppose and in this instance you really do get what you pay for.

I just can't recommend this at all for lawn edging, at least in my experience.

Klarfit X-Bike-700 Foldable Exercise Bicycle (100kg Max Load, Resistance 8 Levels & Training Computer) - Black/Orange
Offered by Electronic-Star-UK

5.0 out of 5 stars So far so good.., 27 May 2016
We haven't had this exercise bike for long but so far we have been very impressed with it. It took me 30 minutes or so to put together once I had studied the diagram and identified the relevant parts. It is sturdy and reasonably comfortable to sit on. You really can feel the difference when you alter the settings and this does seem to be a good buy.

I am a little over 100kg and 6ft 3" and I have had no problems fitting on this bike even though I haven't set it at it the highest setting height wise. It is early days but so far so good and I would definitely recommend the 'Klarfit X-Bike-700'.

Guide to Suffolk Churches (Popular Guide)
Guide to Suffolk Churches (Popular Guide)
by D. P. Mortlock

4.0 out of 5 stars Impressive but expensive, 19 April 2016
We have visited Suffolk several times over the years and have always been impressed with the wonderful churches dotted around the county. For at least three years now I have considered buying this book but had been put off by the hefty price tag. Finally I decided to take a punt and shelled out over £30 for it. Was it worth it? If I am completely honest I'm still not sure.

It is fantastically detailed with excellent descriptions on any church you can think of. The research that had been done by the author is extremely impressive and there are a few black and white photos to accompany some of the churches. This is where my problem lies with this book though. For the price I would have expected several colour photos and there are none at all. I recently looked at the book ' The Buildings of Pembrokeshire' by Pevsner and it has many impressive colour photos that enhance the book. That book is also expensive but you do feel that it is worth the money.

I don't want to be too harsh because 'Suffolk Churches' is really a very good book with many hours of reading and the information is terrific. It is very expensive to say there are no colour illustrations though.

Oregon Pedometer - Green
Oregon Pedometer - Green

3.0 out of 5 stars Very tricky to set up, 16 April 2016
This review is from: Oregon Pedometer - Green (Sports)
This has been used by my fiancee and we have had great difficulty in setting it up. I have tried quite a few times to achieve accurate readings but to be honest it has been a struggle. I thought I had got it absolutely spot on and my better half walked a certain distance of about one mile. She took notice of the readings and walked exactly the same route a couple of days later. The results were completely different even though we didn't alter the settings at all.

I won't give this pedometer a total blasting as it might still be just myself that is unable to set it correctly. It is proving to be a tricky blighter though.

Grantchester - Series 2 [DVD] [2015]
Grantchester - Series 2 [DVD] [2015]
Dvd ~ James Norton

5.0 out of 5 stars As good as the first series, 8 April 2016
It is sometimes the case that a second series can be a bit of a disappointment. Happily that wasn't the case with 'Grantchester'. It was just as compelling as the first series and the relationship between Sidney and Geordie really works even though they don't always see eye to eye in this series.

Nicely filmed, good plots and well acted, this is a very good series with scope for much more from our dynamic duo. At the moment there hasn't been a mention of a third series so hopefully it will happen. This is well made TV and consistantly good.

Terminator Genisys [DVD] [2015]
Terminator Genisys [DVD] [2015]
Dvd ~ Arnold Schwarzenegger

1.0 out of 5 stars The worst ever Terminator movie, 8 April 2016
This is unbelievably bad, an absolute travesty compared to the first two movies. Most of the character's are hopelessly miscast, the story is ridiculous and it adds absolutely nothing at all to the now way overdone story. I didn't expect too much from this but it was a lot worse than I thought it would be.

I remember 'Terminator 3' getting a blasting from the critics but I thought it was OK. Compared to this it was almost a masterpiece. The first two Terminator movies are terrific, my personal favourite 'Terminator 2' is a truly classic movie. 'Terminator Genisys' is awful and I am not just saying that for effect. Very disappointing.

Happy Valley - Series 1 & 2 [DVD] [2016]
Happy Valley - Series 1 & 2 [DVD] [2016]
Dvd ~ Sarah Lancashire

5.0 out of 5 stars An absolute must, 16 Mar. 2016
Just buy it, you will not be disappointed. The first series is superb with fantastic performances from Sarah Lancashire and James Norton. The second series is great, not quite as good as the first but as a package this is an absolute must. Gritty, moving, punishing and utterly compelling, this is British TV drama at it's absolute best. The sound can be a problem in series two though which is puzzling as series one was spot on in that respect.

For all that though when you watch the two series then you will realise that it's not only America that can produce fantastic and gritty dramas. It deserves all of the plaudits that it has received and should clean up come the awards season. Sarah Lancashire has recently announced that she isn't interested in doing a third series so this box set really is one to savour and watch her brilliant portrayal of one of the most interesting female character's seen on TV for many a year.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 17, 2016 4:14 PM GMT

Happy Valley -  Series 2 [DVD] [2016]
Happy Valley - Series 2 [DVD] [2016]
Dvd ~ Sarah Lancashire

4.0 out of 5 stars A very tough act to follow, 16 Mar. 2016
*SPOILERS IN THIS REVIEW*
What a tough act to follow. The first series of 'Happy Valley' was tremendous and one of the best dramas seen on TV for ages. While this second series didn't suffer at all from second series syndrome it didn't quite hit the heights the first series did and this isn't a criticism because I don't think it could ever have been as good. The acting was generally tremendous and I really don't need to say how brilliant Sarah Lancashire was. If there is a better actress on TV than her then I have yet to see one. Plaudits also especially to the always reliable Kevin Doyle as doomed and tortured Wadsworth, Susan Lynch as Alison and Siobhan Finneran as Clare.

The reason that it didn't quite match up to series one is because I found the final episode to be slightly anti climatic. It wasn't a bad episode at all but I suppose I expected a bit more. Where was the electric confrontation between Catherine and pretend teaching assistant Frances? Didn't it show her making a petrol bomb in an earlier episode? I thought Catherine would explode at her for trying to emotionally mess with Ryan's head. I really did expect an electric confrontation between them instead of the gentle chat they had. Tommy Lee the psychopath was the only one who had an happy ending which was very puzzling as he grinned to himself after receiving a letter from his son. Where was the confrontation between Catherine and Tommy Lee? I suspect that every viewer wanted to see it. Also there was some mumbling especially from Shirley Henderson as Frances. There were many times when I struggled to tell what she was saying.

I don't want this to be a negative review at all and I will end it on a high. The six minute scene where Catherine was cradling Alison was fantastic and superbly acted. Captivating, sad and brilliantly written, it showed how good Sarah Lancashire really is as she struggled to comprehend how Alison could shoot her son in cold blood. Susan Lynch was equally impressive here and it was one of the best scenes in a TV drama I have seen for a long time.

To sum up, 'Happy Valley' series two was very good and in no way a disappointment. There is definitely room for a series three so here's hoping.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 4, 2016 3:29 PM BST