ARRAY(0xb3d4c144)

Obsessed [DVD]
Dvd ~ James Franco
Price: 8.00

1.0 out of 5 stars Truly awful, 27 Mar 2014
This review is from: Obsessed [DVD] (DVD)
This is a terrible film. I can only assume James Franco had a day or two to spare inbetween making proper films, and that Winona Ryder had no work at all. I more or less made it through half the DVD, but have absolutely no idea what the story was about, nor what the director was trying to say, assuming he actually HAD a point and wasn't just attempting to make some very high brow art house film full of symbolism understandable only to him, but without the talent to do so. Much of the story (such as it was) seemed to revolve around poorly shot dream sequences (on a hand held video camera by the looks of it) which may or may not have been true concerning James Franco's character maybe stalking Winona Ryder's who was also writing a totally nonsensical play of her own....and I still have no idea what was supposedly real, nor do I care.
I wish I were able to give a more in depth analysis of Obsessed, but I can't as I was no wiser at the end than I was at the beginning, all I can say is please do not waste your time or money watching this film, you'll only regret it!

Death Watch [DVD]
Death Watch [DVD]
Dvd ~ Ben Kingsley
Price: 7.00

2.0 out of 5 stars could've been ok, but......, 25 Mar 2014
This review is from: Death Watch [DVD] (DVD)
I decided to watch this film because Ben Kingsley is undoubtedly one of my favourite actors and the storyline read very well so I began with a sense of real optimism for the 90 minutes to come, but my hopes for a spell of good entertainment were soon being suffocated by some of the most appallingly, laughable acting I think I've ever seen. What on earth Ben Kingsley was thinking when he agreed to sign up for this film I simply can't imagine...he was, as usual worth watching (although far from his best) but as soon as Ben Cross spoke his first lines I knew we were in trouble as he looked as if he was reading from an autocue and I felt as if it was even having to remind him to blink he was so wooden, and when I realised he was going to be the film's second most accomplished actor by some distance then I just watched it as a largely unintentional comedy. It was almost as if the casting director had wandered the streets of Sri Lanka and just asked random passers by if they fancied being in a film until he'd filled all the parts and the budget was obviously not too generous either as sometimes the quality was reminiscent of a Saturday morning flick I used to watch back in the 70's. It's a shame as the basic premise wasn't bad at all and this could have been a half decent movie....but a story needs actors who can tell it well, and they were sadly lacking here.

The Great Gatsby [DVD + UV Copy] [2013]
The Great Gatsby [DVD + UV Copy] [2013]
Dvd ~ Leonardo DiCaprio
Price: 7.00

1.0 out of 5 stars Mind numbing, 27 Nov 2013
I didn't have high hopes going into this film as period dramas aren't really my thing and I was even less optimistic when I saw Baz Luhrmann was the director as I've never managed to get through a whole film of his yet (Romeo and Juliet...terrible, Moulin Rouge...painful and even worse) and somehow he has managed the hat trick and produced another totally unwatchable pile of ****! In whose fevered mind does a film set in the 20's work with a modern rap soundtrack? It's utterly ridiculous and the whole thing was just (poor) style over substance (because where was any storyline???)resembling a flashy pop video where the director has loads of funding but absolutely no talent whatsoever. Even my girlfriend who usually loves this kind of film couldn't take any more after 40 minutes so we turned it off in relief that we hadn't wasted money going to the cinema.
Well done Mr Luhrmann, you have my personal award for being the worst mainstream director working today, but at least I now know for sure never to again waste another single minute of my life trying to watch any other film you may be involved with!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 4, 2014 8:43 PM GMT

Java Heat [DVD]
Java Heat [DVD]
Dvd ~ Kellan Lutz
Price: 3.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, could have been much better though, 30 Aug 2013
This review is from: Java Heat [DVD] (DVD)
This film went straight to DVD as far as I'm aware, and you can see why. The story itself isn't bad and there's plenty of action if that's the bag you're into, but I felt a different director with a bit more cash to splash may well have turned this into a none too minor hit....but....the story meanders round too much, certainly in the middle of the film and it just felt rather confused as if the makers weren't totally sure in which direction to take things and when cutting cobbled together a mixture of edits. I could have forgiven that, but oh, the acting. Mickey Rourke did seem to be reading (mumbling) his lines straight off the page, but the real horror was Kellan Lutz, an actor so wooden that splinters were hitting the screen every time he appeared. I've never wanted to see Twilight so have no idea whether he was any better in that but I guess a handsome face and a few muscles go a long way...doesn't mean he shouldn't perhaps pursue a less taxing career choice than one which requires the ability to walk and talk at the same time without looking like it's using every brain cell he has!
Shame, certainly not rubbish as the story had plenty of merit and a few twists and turns and was definitely pretty pacy but simply could have been so much better.

House at the End of the Street [DVD]
House at the End of the Street [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jennifer Lawrence
Price: 3.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Definitely no horror show, 17 Feb 2013
I enjoyed this film. It's by no means brilliant or incredibly original but still 90 minutes of solid entertainment. At times I did feel I'd seen it all before and certain elements did seem lifted directly from a hundred other films, but there was enough tension and threat to keep me watching and plenty of movies I have fail that criteria! As other reviewers have said however, don't be misled by the blurb on the front of the case implying this is deeply scary and therefore a horror film....it isn't, but if you're in the market for a thriller and won't be disappointed by a lack of gore and mayhem, then you could do much much worse than to rent this.

Recoil [DVD]
Recoil [DVD]
Dvd ~ Steve Austin
Price: 3.75

3.0 out of 5 stars not great but....., 1 May 2012
This review is from: Recoil [DVD] (DVD)
This film is ok is every sense of the word. The story is ok but totally predictable, the fight scenes are ok and fairly graphic, the acting is ok but never going to win any oscars, definitely the high point for me is a snarling, badass Danny Trejo who is often typecast in these kind of roles but that's because he plays them well and certainly has a 'don't mess with me' kind of face. Not the sort of film I'd want to watch all the time, but it passed 90 mindless minutes which was just what I wanted at the time.

The Deep Blue Sea [2011] [DVD]
The Deep Blue Sea [2011] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Rachel Weisz
Offered by A2Z Entertains
Price: 10.72

2.0 out of 5 stars Hmmm, not for me, 26 April 2012
Don't get me wrong, I like many kinds of films but Deep Blue Sea simply left me cold and utterly untouched. I don't need car chases and shoot outs to be entertained (although in their place they are fun) but this really was painfully slow and depressing. Nothing happens at all for ages to start with except an awful wailing violin playing constantly over actors looking meditative and thoughtful. The film is saved from only getting one star because the story does move along in the middle but peters out in a most unsatisfactory manner to end and I just felt quite flat when I want to be entertained. This is fine if you are someone who enjoys films full of long lingering shots of sad people in a grey world, but just not for me.

Dream House (+ UV Digital Copy) [DVD] [2011]
Dream House (+ UV Digital Copy) [DVD] [2011]
Dvd ~ Daniel Craig
Offered by HarriBella.UK.Ltd
Price: 8.44

4.0 out of 5 stars classy little thriller, 26 April 2012
First of all I have to say that contrary to another reviewer's assumption I am not in love with any of the leads in this film, but perhaps I like to watch things with some intelligence behind them sometimes and don't need to only watch constant shoot outs and car chases to not be bored! This is a clever little movie which is very much in the psychological guessing game genre. True, other films have tackled similar ideas (the one which came to my mind was Shutter Island) but this was well handled with a real sense of melancholy underlying the story. Recommended perhaps as one to rent rather than buy though as the twist can only be a surprise once.

Lars And The Real Girl [DVD]
Lars And The Real Girl [DVD]
Dvd ~ Ryan Gosling
Price: 5.62

5.0 out of 5 stars a breath of fresh air, 24 April 2012
This review is from: Lars And The Real Girl [DVD] (DVD)
I love this film. It is funny, warm, beautifully acted and simply different to anything else I've seen in a very long time. I've recommended this film to many people and they have all really enjoyed it too. Not very mainstream maybe but a real little gem nevertheless. If you're not sure about the slightly strange synopsis and have been put off, try and overcome it, give it a watch, and you may just surprise yourself

Mamma Mia! The Movie [DVD] [2008]
Mamma Mia! The Movie [DVD] [2008]
Dvd ~ Meryl Streep
Offered by DVD Overstocks
Price: 4.25

1.0 out of 5 stars what were they watching?, 23 April 2012
I know many people love this film but I have absolutely no idea why as it is appallingly, laughably bad. No story as such, just a stream of poorly sung ABBA hits loosely holding together a plot which was so thin it could have been written on the back of a postage stamp with room to spare. I quickly didn't give a monkey's who the father was and what else was there? The only redeeming feature of this waste of time is the scenery's nice...I think a two hour video of the setting without the actors getting in the way would have been a vast improvement! Still, it was a huge hit on the cinema so maybe I just like other (better!) films